Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Tonight I decided to take a night drive in the country ;)

Having the whole countryside to myself I had the thought too launch the car as I don't really get the opportunity in the city.

Anyhow it didn't turn out as I expected, I steadily held the revs between 2500 & 3000rpm and released the clutch (not drop it) and applied the throttle.
To my amazement the car simply revved in a stationary position without spinning the wheels :eek: I was perplexed as to how I was able to rev the engine past 3000rpm with a fully released clutch and nothing!

Yes there was the stench of a glazed clutch, but not what I would consider strong. So I guess this leads me into thinking that Porsche has some sort of nifty safety mechanism that prevents a poorly executed clutch launch??? I've owned many manual cars but I can't say I've ever experienced this before.

I tried it again and yes the croc launched like a rocket :dance: but still curious as to what happened first time round...any thoughts?

·
Porscheholic
724 Posts
Did you note what RPM you launched the 2nd time around? I usually launch MT around 2K RPM and have not tried it much higher than that so have not experienced your situation.

Not to be snide or anything but was she fully in 1st gear on the initial attempt? My wife sometimes misses getting in gear and the car just sits there and revs.

Do you have Sport Chrono and was it on? You did this after oil temperature is up right? I do not remember reading anything about Porsche clutch protection so will do some research.

Cheers mate on the Launch. Definitely an E Ticket ride.:beer:

·
On Probation
582 Posts
no safety feature...maybe you where in 3rd/5th gear...a few more repeats like that and i see a new clutch in your future...when was the last time you changed clutch fluid

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not to be snide or anything but was she fully in 1st gear on the initial attempt? My wife sometimes misses getting in gear and the car just sits there and revs.

Do you have Sport Chrono and was it on? You did this after oil temperature is up right? I do not remember reading anything about Porsche clutch protection so will do some research.
I might have slipped out of 1st gear, but I think it was unlikely, I don't have SC instead I have the Softronic tune.
The car was fully warm, I might just put it down to "one of those things" but the launch was mighty successful at around 2000rpm. :)

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no safety feature...maybe you where in 3rd/5th gear...a few more repeats like that and i see a new clutch in your future...when was the last time you changed clutch fluid
Yes another possibility...3rd is similar to 1st in the dark I guess.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts