Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

61 - 80 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Funny how the halo (911) did lukewarm, and "non-marketable or sellable" prototype with a four cylinder motor won, can't escape the irony. Outside the tiny numbers of enthusiasts, the public buying Panameras, Cayennes, Macans and even 911s don't know about Porsche racing, don't care about Porsche racing all they know it's exclusive (expensive) and the masses are impressed if you drive one. I would love to see a GT4 in LeMans one day, hell the 911 isn't cutting it.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Porsche factory wins LMP1 and comes second. The next best Porsche performance comes from Dempsey-Proton as second in GTE-AM. Pretty amazing and a result superior to the "unofficial" factory/Manthey result in GTE-Pro. I read that Dempsey was the "weak link" in the team's lineup, but in the end, they did as well as any Porsche factory or private team has done in a 911-based car in GT this year so far! My hat's off to Patrick Dempsey and his team. Grey's Anatomy fired his arse, I can only guess because Shonda Rhymes doesn't think an actor should be a gentleman racer... I say F! to celebrity, to acting, and to G'sA. Racing a Porsche RSR at Le Mans is about as real as shite gets.

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
Umm....Le Mans?

Guys (and Gals)....an overall win this AM at Le Mans? Porsche overall win#17??? I just haven't seen a post about it....so I thought I'd bring it up. GREAT day for Porsche. Maybe I had a lump in my throat. Maybe.....

And a big Webber fan....awesome to see him come in second.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
CHOWS: Thanks for the stuttcar.com review of Porsche history at Le Mans!

For 1966, it stated that the long-tailed 906s were designed for the long straight-aways.

QUESTION: What benefit would the exceedingly long posterior overhang of those long-tailed 906s provide on a long straight-away? Stability from wind? Something else? Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
QUESTION: What benefit would the exceedingly long posterior overhang of those long-tailed 906s provide on a long straight-away? Stability from wind? Something else? Thanks in advance.
If you have never seen the movie Le Mans, you should watch it. Not sure about 906 but the 917 was inherently unstable and had a design flaw. A really good explanation of the 917 is this podcast. It's worth listening to. http://podcasts.howstuffworks.com/hsw/podcasts/carstuff/2011-04-07-carstuff-porsche-917.mp3 The car scared the top drivers. The tail end was too light. I think the long tails stabilized it at speed. The long tails were faster on the long straights than the short tails.

Back in the day, the idea was to get to top speed as fast as possible. Top speed mattered because of Mulsanne. The longer you were at top speed, the better the chance of winning. Slowing down at all and it take time to get back up to top speed. Over the years they slowed the cars down putting in multiple chicanes. Just watch this. This is a 956. Imagine just cranking it up, flat out, as fast as you can go, for 24 hours, and at the end of the straight, braking as hard as you can, etc.

Today, its all about BOP, balance of performance. Make sure all the cars are equal. Blah blah blah. Just look at this one example from last year Le Mans 24 Hours - The best of the 2015 Le mans 24 Hours and FIA World Endurance Championship (WEC) | Le Mans Live | Balance of Performance Different alterations for a GT3RS, 911RSR, Corvette R, 458, etc The weight they must be, the size of the gas tank, air intakes. They want all the car's performance to be equal.

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
Re: Umm....Le Mans?

Guys (and Gals)....an overall win this AM at Le Mans? Porsche overall win#17??? I just haven't seen a post about it....so I thought I'd bring it up. GREAT day for Porsche. Maybe I had a lump in my throat. Maybe.....

And a big Webber fan....awesome to see him come in second.

I have to scratch my head when I see a post like this....

I assume it is someone who bookmarked only the 981 forum and doesn't look anywhere else on the site... :hilarious:

·
Premium Member
497 Posts

I have to scratch my head when I see a post like this....

I assume it is someone who bookmarked only the 981 forum and doesn't look anywhere else on the site... :hilarious:
BINGO! On the nose. :)

Reactions: K-Man S

·
Premium Member
497 Posts

Thank you for those video's, Mate. Nico's victory lap....just magic. Magic.

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts

off topic: Why is this thread moving around. 1st off topic, then motorsports, now 981 chat? lol, so hard to find.
another: http://www.planet-9.com/automotive-off-topic/108788-le-mans-2015-a.html
Thanks for catching this. The problem is that some people only read the subforum for their car, whether it be 987 or 981, so a thread is started in, for example, 987 "chat" even though the subject has nothing to do with "chatting about 987 cars". Then another person might start one in Automotive OT, a reasonable choice, and a third person puts one where it really belongs, in Porsche Motorsports. Then a fourth person will just start another thread and another thinking they are the first to discover something because they didn't look in the appropriate subforum. It's an endless struggle to find all this stuff and sort it out on a popular subject (it happens on all kinds of subjects). Sometimes stuff gets missed.

·
Registered
4 Posts

i stay last weekend in Lemans and see this show, gorges for Porsche this weekend. regards

·
Registered
4,169 Posts

Funny no one has commented on Dr.Ullrich's statement of Audi coming back next year to LeMans, if he was speaking truthfully, that would in essence be the end of the rumor of Audi getting into F1 as a team, but not necessarily as engine supplier. Dr. Ullrich is a class act, I don't think he would have said anything if Audi wasn't coming back, he would have congratulated Porsche and left it at that, but of course this is just an opinion. VAG is as mysterious and enigmatic as the old KGB.

·
Registered
453 Posts

i stay last weekend in Lemans and see this show, gorges for Porsche this weekend. regards
Hi - welcome to P9!

Did you camp near the track as so many fans do during the LeMans races?

·
Registered
143 Posts

VWAG owns Audi and Porsche. Rooting for Porsche vs Audi is a distinction without a difference.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,086 Posts

VWAG owns Audi and Porsche. Rooting for Porsche vs Audi is a distinction without a difference.
I disagree. They are completely different cars with completely different heritages. Who cares who owns them? Maybe the stock holders? If that was the case, it's a win-win!! :) Suppose one guy owned both the Redskins and the Cowboys? Would we consider the teams the same team and then hence be unable to root for one over the other?

Reactions: stratman
61 - 80 of 91 Posts