Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

81 - 91 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Re: Umm....Le Mans?

Also, GM and Ford had different divisions racing, if I'm not mistaken so did Chrysler...........so VAG has different divisions racing, that means you can't cheer for Porsche, Audi, Lamborghini, Bentley? All are racing in one form or the other.

·
Premium Member
5,853 Posts
CHOWS: Thanks for the stuttcar.com review of Porsche history at Le Mans!

For 1966, it stated that the long-tailed 906s were designed for the long straight-aways.

QUESTION: What benefit would the exceedingly long posterior overhang of those long-tailed 906s provide on a long straight-away? Stability from wind? Something else? Thanks in advance.
The mid-60s was a confusing time for Porsche race cars so I believe the 906 long-tail was actually called a 907. At any rate, it was the ugliest race car that Porsche ever made. (The Pink Pig was a close second.) Yes, the long tail was supposed to help with stability but it also increased straight line speed . . . so much so that the 907 used the more reliable 6-cylinder engine instead of the 8-cylinder engine that other Porsche race cars were running. Porsche 910s were also racing with the 907s. In the 1967 Le Mans you had 906s, 907s, and 910s.

Porsche hit it big with the 917 in the 70s. When I think of a Porsche race car I think of the 917 and all of its many variations. And the 917/30 was the absolute king of them all!

·
Noob
843 Posts
This is how our cars will sound in the future...

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
A lot of whining and chattering! Oh and a lawnmower like note to boot! LOL! Just kidding, I'm sure the
Porsche engineered-piped-into-cockpit tune will be just fine!

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,086 Posts
If you watched the podium event afterwards, the Michellin man was just awesome. I think he was the happiest guy there. I never saw so much vigorous clapping and high fiving by a "stay puff" marshmellow man. lol. It was entertaining to watch.

Reactions: stratman

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
This is how our cars will sound in the future...

Yes it sounds like some sort of angry insect combined with a lawn mower and a weedeater. There is something non-linear about it's low speed acceleration, I'm guessing some boost or jolt kicks in at that point. I did find it funny at the 1:45 mark, hey 911 get the heck out of my way slow poke! :)

I'm not sure who the new narrator voice was but it seemed like a cross between morgan freeman and whoopee Goldberg which wasn't an ideal match IMHO...

920 Hybrid in the dealers next year! :) (Road going version of the 919 of course...)

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,086 Posts
We went to the dealership to view the 2015 Le Mans and they had the Porsche web site streming the #19 car video and sound to a speaker systems and huge TVs until they could get Fox news back up. It was really loud (too loud). My mother in law said that it sounded just like a power tool. That's exactly what it sounded like too. It was obnoxious. My car will never sound like that. I will buy used Porsches or something else before that happens.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
I'm not sure who the new narrator voice was but it seemed like a cross between morgan freeman and whoopee Goldberg which wasn't an ideal match IMHO...
And a detectable southern accent sound in the voice? Intentional to target US market? Not even sure if it was male or female.

81 - 91 of 91 Posts