Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,563 Posts
Two thoughts.......Corvette may have taken the pushroad V8 about as far as they can..............Regarding Fox.....I was reminded of Heidi being shown instead of the end of the Super Bowl lo those many years go. Only back then, no DVRs et al which compounded the issue. Oh well, it is not like the winner was decided with only two laps to go............oh, wait a minute, that is what happened.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
For the mainstream media absolutely. The US Open is big time. Biggest Sports Story this morning is the NBA Finals followed by the US Open. Few (in the US) cares or even knows about Le Mans. Its a niche thing.

Now if it were the Daytona 500, they would know. NASCAR rules.
Fully agree with you on the NASCAR thing which is distressing to think that so many Americans love to see cars go fast around an oval instead of watching a race on a course that is much more challenging.

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Besides a pathos ending, the biggest concern I had was not a Porsche crossed the finish line after the wounded LMP1 13th place and before the GTE 28th place. I would have expected a better showing down the ranks in GTE.

I understand the Ford's weren't (cough) production but the rules are the rules. Consider there were 60 cars who took the green, for Porsche the results were 3 in the top 30; 6 cars in the bottom 30. That includes the factory GTE-PRO cars 91, 92 going out on laps 135 and 140. Okay, they're older, but what happened to durability let alone competitiveness? As Chows said (paraphrased), "where is the replacement GTE?"

The "'scuse me" win is masking some otherwise troubling race results for our favorite marque.

Okay, flame away. ;)

Reference:
Le Mans 24 Hours: The full results ? in pictures
http://www.lemans.org/explorer/pdf/...res-du-mans-2016-classification-after-24h.pdf

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
Besides a pathos ending, the biggest concern I had was not a Porsche crossed the finish line after the wounded LMP1 13th place and before the GTE 28th place. I would have expected a better showing down the ranks in GTE.

I understand the Ford's weren't (cough) production but the rules are the rules. Consider there were 60 cars who took the green, for Porsche the results were 3 in the top 30; 6 cars in the bottom 30. That includes the factory GTE-PRO cars 91, 92 going out on laps 135 and 140. Okay, they're older, but what happened to durability let alone competitiveness? As Chows said (paraphrased), "where is the replacement GTE?"

The "'scuse me" win is masking some otherwise troubling race results for our favorite marque.

Okay, flame away. ;)

Reference:
Le Mans 24 Hours: The full results ? in pictures
http://www.lemans.org/explorer/pdf/...res-du-mans-2016-classification-after-24h.pdf
Replacement GTE = GT4 :) :) :)

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
ROFL = FeFi. Got to compete with the 488s.
A properly set up GT4 would easily compete with a 488 and by properly I mean the GT3RSR engine and transmission put into the mid engine GT4 chassis. You'd have better power to weight than the 488 and possibly better balance and handling too.

Yes Porsche can build a whole new mid engine platform and charge more $$$ for it but the truth is that the current mid engine platform could be made competitive for a lot less money. The problem is that Porsche couldn't really sell such an uber Cayman because it would trounce the GT3 and in the end it is all about car sales....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
A properly set up GT4 would easily compete with a 488 and by properly I mean the GT3RSR engine and transmission put into the mid engine GT4 chassis. You'd have better power to weight than the 488 and possibly better balance and handling too.

Yes Porsche can build a whole new mid engine platform and charge more $$$ for it but the truth is that the current mid engine platform could be made competitive for a lot less money. The problem is that Porsche couldn't really sell such an uber Cayman because it would trounce the GT3 and in the end it is all about car sales....
But then it wouldn't be a Cayman. It would be the 960. And it won't get a flat 6. They are done. They can't get more power from the 4.2L. Its been acknowledged that their line is over by engineering. Expect a flat 6, quad turbo. That's not a Cayman and the cost will be triple any Cayman. Of course, you can call it a Cayman but its not what consumers would expect to pay. In the end, its all about money.

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
But then it wouldn't be a Cayman. It would be the 960. And it won't get a flat 6. They are done. They can't get more power from the 4.2L. Its been acknowledged that their line is over by engineering. Expect a flat 6, quad turbo. That's not a Cayman and the cost will be triple any Cayman. Of course, you can call it a Cayman but its not what consumers would expect to pay. In the end, its all about money.
If it is in a Cayman chassis then it's still a Cayman!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
If it is in a Cayman chassis then it's still a Cayman!
ROFL. The 911RSR was not supposed to exist for 2016. It was a stop gap measure for one year. Porsche to Build Updated 911 RSR for 2016; Exploring 2017 Options - Sportscar365

"Head of Porsche Motorsport Dr. Frank-Steffen Walliser confirmed to Sportscar365 the updated 911 RSR, conforming to the new safety standards, ...The 2016-spec Porsche 911 RSR may end up being a stopgap measure for one year, as reports indicate that an all-new Porsche GTE car, featuring a mid-engine design, could be on its way for 2017."

And from Le Mans Radio http://audio.rpix.org.uk/2015/mwm/mwm10-29.mp3, also on itune, somewhere in there is a discussion on the replacement to the 911RSR. I expect the scandal delayed stuff.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
https://www.reference.com/sports-ac...-number-one-spectator-sport-6b86eeefa976ec33#

NASCAR rules. #1 spectator sport. #1 in money, just behind the NFL in TV watching.

Everyone loves the roundy round.
We'll, not everybody, I only know of one person in my circle of friends who likes NASCAR and the only time I watch it is when it's at Sonoma but I'd never pay to go in person. It is amazing though that something that started with moonshiners has become so popular and profitable but then again one has to take into consideration the type of fans that attend.:hilarious:

Attachments

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
ROFL. The 911RSR was not supposed to exist for 2016. It was a stop gap measure for one year. Porsche to Build Updated 911 RSR for 2016; Exploring 2017 Options - Sportscar365

"Head of Porsche Motorsport Dr. Frank-Steffen Walliser confirmed to Sportscar365 the updated 911 RSR, conforming to the new safety standards, ...The 2016-spec Porsche 911 RSR may end up being a stopgap measure for one year, as reports indicate that an all-new Porsche GTE car, featuring a mid-engine design, could be on its way for 2017."

And from Le Mans Radio http://audio.rpix.org.uk/2015/mwm/mwm10-29.mp3, also on itune, somewhere in there is a discussion on the replacement to the 911RSR. I expect the scandal delayed stuff.
What I am saying is that if you can call the 911RSR a "911" when it has no resemblence to the 911 road car other than the chassis then you could call a Cayman chassis with the 911RSR running gear a "Cayman" because it is in the Cayman chassis. Sure it is no more like a street Cayman than the 911RSR is like a street 911 other than the basics of the chassis.

My suggestion is that if they wanted to be competitive with the 488's etc. they should have put all the guts of the 911RSR into the Cayman chassis, at least that way they'd stand a better chance of being competitive. Will it happen? Heck no, Porsche isn't going to do that even though they technically could and would likely benefit in the races because of such a move. This would be seen as hanging the 911 out to dry by the racing enthusiasts among Porsche for a "lesser" car simply based on the pricing of the street cars.

That's why they need a mid engine car at a higher price point, so they can "justify" removing the 911 from top tier racing and replacing it with a better platform.

Bottom line, if Porsche put their best engine and running gear into a Cayman chassis they'd be more competitive and I'd still call it a Cayman. Even though I know it will never happen.

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
We'll, not everybody, I only know of one person in my circle of friends who likes NASCAR and the only time I watch it is when it's at Sonoma but I'd never pay to go in person. It is amazing though that something that started with moonshiners has become so popular and profitable but then again one has to take into consideration the type of fans that attend.:hilarious:
America - Land of Pickups and roundy rounds!

Part of the spectator thing could be the venue. I've been to F1 races at the Glen. You got to see one tiny section of track. Sit in a corner and that's it. Now NASCAR, you can sit in the stands and see all the track, everyone driving at 200 mph all the time. Zoom Zoom, see all the action.

The same is true in a lot of sports. Try watching hockey on TV some time. Boring ... they follow the puck. But if you went to a NHL game and watched, you could see the entire play being set up. Same with basketball, much different in the stadium than on TV. I suspect the same is true for auto racing. Seeing only one curve is not an exciting as being able to see an entire track.

My suggestion is that if they wanted to be competitive with the 488's etc. they should have put all the guts of the 911RSR into the Cayman chassis,
I think its deeper than that. They need to move to a bigger engine. They need to go 8 cyl and it probably won't fit. So they need a bigger car. The six cyl is dead, they know they can't get much more power out of an engine that went from what 2.7L to 4.2L (4.4?). It's done. Remarkable as that engine has been, they need to move on to 8 cyl.

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
America - Land of Pickups and roundy rounds!

Part of the spectator thing could be the venue. I've been to F1 races at the Glen. You got to see one tiny section of track. Sit in a corner and that's it. Now NASCAR, you can sit in the stands and see all the track, everyone driving at 200 mph all the time. Zoom Zoom, see all the action.

The same is true in a lot of sports. Try watching hockey on TV some time. Boring ... they follow the puck. But if you went to a NHL game and watched, you could see the entire play being set up. Same with basketball, much different in the stadium than on TV. I suspect the same is true for auto racing. Seeing only one curve is not an exciting as being able to see an entire track.

I think its deeper than that. They need to move to a bigger engine. They need to go 8 cyl and it probably won't fit. So they need a bigger car. The six cyl is dead, they know they can't get much more power out of an engine that went from what 2.7L to 4.2L (4.4?). It's done. Remarkable as that engine has been, they need to move on to 8 cyl.
You do know there was an attempt to stuff the Carrera GT engine into a Cayman right? :) Porsche should just do that and call it a day...

·
Registered
501 Posts
You do know there was an attempt to stuff the Carrera GT engine into a Cayman right? :) Porsche should just do that and call it a day...
There were those ugly Daytona Prototypes from about 5 years ago that won Daytona24 with the Cayenne V8 stuffed inside. Porsche was not very happy about that ... LOL

·
Registered
501 Posts

Yep. The current 991 in GTE spec is an old car. Not only is it down on power, but also on aero too. The new GTE rules were designed to give GTE a bigger separate over GT3 spec, so they are now allowing them lot more aero modifications - that's why you can see the big diffuser sticking out the back of the Ford GT/Vette and 488. As recently as last year, that was not allowed in GTE.
With the engine hanging out over the *** end of the 911, they can't do as much with rear diffuser as the other GTE cars. That really hurts it in cornering speed. Combine that with the fact that it was already down on power and straight line speed, it wasn't surprising when the only GTE Pro 911 blew up. I wouldn't be surprised if they were pushing that 4.0 to dangerous levels just to get to the slow lap times they were running.

41 - 60 of 77 Posts