Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,563 Posts
NASCAR is the modern day Roman Circus......everyone sitting in a bowl, getting drunk and paying half attention to the spectacle in the middle. What was the last trickle down technology from NASCAR to the street? Love to see them triple stint the tires....:).

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
America - Land of Pickups and roundy rounds!

Part of the spectator thing could be the venue. I've been to F1 races at the Glen. You got to see one tiny section of track. Sit in a corner and that's it. Now NASCAR, you can sit in the stands and see all the track, everyone driving at 200 mph all the time. Zoom Zoom, see all the action.

The same is true in a lot of sports. Try watching hockey on TV some time. Boring ... they follow the puck. But if you went to a NHL game and watched, you could see the entire play being set up. Same with basketball, much different in the stadium than on TV. I suspect the same is true for auto racing. Seeing only one curve is not an exciting as being able to see an entire track.

I think its deeper than that. They need to move to a bigger engine. They need to go 8 cyl and it probably won't fit. So they need a bigger car. The six cyl is dead, they know they can't get much more power out of an engine that went from what 2.7L to 4.2L (4.4?). It's done. Remarkable as that engine has been, they need to move on to 8 cyl.
I guess I'm used to racing at Sears Point and Laguna Seca where you can move freely around the track or sit in one spot for the entire race. I like to do a lot of photography during the races and both those tracks are prime for moving around.
Don't get me started on pickups.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Besides a pathos ending, the biggest concern I had was not a Porsche crossed the finish line after the wounded LMP1 13th place and before the GTE 28th place. I would have expected a better showing down the ranks in GTE.

I understand the Ford's weren't (cough) production but the rules are the rules. Consider there were 60 cars who took the green, for Porsche the results were 3 in the top 30; 6 cars in the bottom 30. That includes the factory GTE-PRO cars 91, 92 going out on laps 135 and 140. Okay, they're older, but what happened to durability let alone competitiveness? As Chows said (paraphrased), "where is the replacement GTE?"

The "'scuse me" win is masking some otherwise troubling race results for our favorite marque.

Okay, flame away. ;)

Reference:
Le Mans 24 Hours: The full results ? in pictures
http://www.lemans.org/explorer/pdf/...res-du-mans-2016-classification-after-24h.pdf

Here's what happened with the Porsche GTs:
2016 24 Hours of Le Mans – podium and problems for Porsche 911 RSRs | Total 911

Balance of Performance limited Porsche and the two Corvettes relative to the Fords. Then the Porsches just broke. Honestly, despite (or other than) wining overall, this I was not a real stellar showing for Poesche.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
1969 Boss 429
1971 Superbird

A guess on those dates ;)
Bingo on the Boss.

The Superbird was a 1970 model, but the 1969 Charger Daytona preceded it. Story goes Plymouth skipped the aero mtg in 68 and left Dodge to build the Daytona. When Richard Petty demanded an aero car from Plymouth, they said no so he picked up his ball and drove Fords in 1969. That's why Plymouth created the Superbird in 1970 - to get RP back in the fold.

And I was young and not yet an NFL fan, but got the Heidi reference (preempting Oakland vs the Jets for Heidi).

·
Registered
746 Posts
I agree - the Ford GTs are no production cars (yet).

Plus - they were a couple of seconds per lap slower than the 488s during the first two races of the season...so that the Ferraris got some weight added just in time for the Le Mans race. There is already some speculation going on if this was done on purpose by Ford.
Both Ford and Ferrari were sandbagging, Ford was just better at it.

·
Registered
895 Posts
My daughter gave me "Go Like Hell" by A.J. Baime for Father's Day. About 2/3's the way done and what a great book about Ford's (Henry II) obsessive pursuit to dethrone Ferrari from Le Mans in the '60's.

Eddie

P.S. Great pix Trev450. Thanks for posting.

·
Premium Member
2,563 Posts
I was impressed that Ford won out of the box at the 24 hours. I know they had teething problems at Daytona and Sebring but credit where credit is due........hit it out of the park in the first try in a long time.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Well the stars aligned and another fantasy came true. We were able to attend the 24 Hours of Le Mans! :dance: Just returned about 6 hours ago!
My wife had a business trip to Denmark and we were able to sneak in a side trip to Le Mans. What an event!!!!!
When I ordered the reserved grandstand seats, there were only 7 left in the entire place. We got the last two together and had a view from the pit exit to the Dunlop Bridge.
The racing was close for the whole 24 hours and a very bizarre ending lead to a Porsche victory in LMP1. I also followed the GTEPro race closely and was cheering for the Ford GTs, as an ex-Ford engineer who used to work with some of the guys who were on the teams of the 60's.

Here is just one picture from the start in a downpour.

I will add some more, but I always seem to have trouble with the picture download thing, perhaps a "Picture Download for Dummies" would help. I have tried to use the "How to.." page, but it I get lost quickly.

Attachments

Reactions: K-Man S and Morbo

·
Registered
874 Posts
Given that Porsche did not run factory teams in the WEC this year, the 911 based cars (and their power trains) were clearly relegated to 2nd class status....by Porsche. Couple that with BOP shenanigans both by the manufacturers and the race organizers, the outcome was foreordained to favor the cars with blowers in GTE Pro. Porsche's Le Mans video touts the 919 hybrid powertrain as "the future"...further providing us with insight into Porsche's view of what's coming.

Ford's promises to build (homologation by promise! :taunt:) their car ring rather cold since the car was clearly designed to win Le Mans....and nothing else. To me, it tarnishes their victory...I think a GT car should have some connection to a production vehicle and, unlike the other cars in the race, Ford's does not.

I watched a lot of the race and the ending drama was amazing to watch as it unfolded. As I consider this years 24Hours race and observe other members on this forum declare their excitement with hybrid and electric based powertrains, I am somewhat saddened to realize the automotive world is changing in ways I do not agree with.....for reasons I do not agree with. I am probably in a minority these days but there is a quote by Sydney Harris that sums up my opinion on all of this - "The greatest enemy of progress is not stagnation, but false progress."

Quo Vadis? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
619 Posts
I was also at Le Mans this year. I have just now (after being home two weeks) got my photos sorted and and so will post a few here for those interested.

Friday (City Center for Breakfast, "Pit Walk" and City Center for dinner):

Reactions: K-Man S

·
Registered
619 Posts
Saturday, French Breakfast at Le Mans City Center and "Grid Walk":

Reactions: enthuz

·
Registered
619 Posts
Saturday, the race starts at 3 PM in the rain behind the safety cars. I could get a clear shot (with telephoto) from my seat in the Tertre Rouge stands, but after an hour or so there, I went off and wondered all over the place. Had a nice dinner (and dessert) and loaded the day's pix into the iPad at the "Escape Club ACO" facility / restaurant located in the Le Mans Village at about 7 PM. Most attempts to photo cars on track were thwarted by fences. Took a ride on the big wheel.

Reactions: enthuz and chows4us

·
Registered
619 Posts
Sunday, I went out along the Mulsanne straight somewhere, but could not get good pictures because of fences. By the time I got back to the main facility, the race was pretty much over. After the race, back to the paddock and also right onto the track at the start / finish line. Porsche #2 was the overall winner and was pushed out of the "winner's circle" about 2 hours after the race. Both of the Porsche factory-team GTPro cars (#91 and #92) did not finish. The party's over (my rented 320d is in the nearly empty parking lot) and so back to town and dinner at the Legends of Le Mans Cafe near City Center. Most locals in town were very much interested in . . . Euro2016 rather than the race.

61 - 77 of 77 Posts