Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a leaf stuck inside my left side vent where the fan is spinning. It it stuck inside and makes a LOUD ticking sound that can be heard by others and inside the car. This happened to me multiple times and usually the leaf would disappear on its own but this has been happening for a week now.

Can I access that part of the vent (bottom) through the air filters (intake) by the engine bay?

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
Sorry, but I have no idea how to access the filters but I do have problems with leaves getting sucked into the vents. (I have trouble with the right side vent.) Anyway, I bent a coat hanger so that I had a long straight piece with a hook on the end. I used the coat hanger to break the leaf into little pieces. Then I got my shop vac and sucked the pieces out.

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
There's a leaf stuck inside my left side vent where the fan is spinning. It it stuck inside and makes a LOUD ticking sound that can be heard by others and inside the car. This happened to me multiple times and usually the leaf would disappear on its own but this has been happening for a week now.

Can I access that part of the vent (bottom) through the air filters (intake) by the engine bay?
See this and IIRC it has been noted somewhere ??? that there is no back side access to intake vent.

http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-boxster-problems-complaints/84183-driver-side-vent-fan-started-making-loud-squealing-noise.html

Google searching topic with Planet-9 in title works wonders for such Qs. For problem elimination see this.

http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-boxster-modifications/86216-981-side-vent-rear-bumper-grilles-3.html

:cheers:

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
I doubt you can access it from the back side. The filter opening is pretty small and high. You need to go from the sidevents. Did you tried vacuum cleaner?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I'd think the fan would shred a leaf in short order -- but we have a magnolia grandiflora in the yard and I swear you could shingle a roof with those leaves. Might be there a while.

Shop vac with a piece of garden hose duct taped (sealed) to the end?
I just got a new ash vac for the pellet stove, and got a stove cleaning attachment kit. To get in tight places, it came with a short (2'?) length of vinyl hose, maybe 1/2" ID, inserted into a rubber cork which in turn you insert into your vacuum's regular hose. looks like it could be duplicated at Home Depot for $2...

...or one of our Porsche sponsors could offer a "vent cleaning kit" for $99. :naughty:

·
Registered
1,265 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Happened to me after 3days of owning my 981cs. Used a stick w a piece of tape on the end to remove the leaf.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
KRG,

I second that solution. It worked so well for me, that now I keep a cheap claw pickup tool in the Frunk! I have used it several times this fall in NH. You can buy these at any auto parts store.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts