Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am new to the forum and have a 2008 Cayman that I leased. I have black, 20" TechArt Formula wheels that I put on the car when I leased it. My lease is up in December and I have just 19,000 miles on it out of the 45,000 i was allotted. So here is my question...Do you think I should try to take the car to Carmax and maybe they would buy out the lease and also give me a little something extra for the wheels or do I have a better chance of trying to sell the wheels on eBay or something after I turn the car backover to Porsche in December? i greatly appreciate any input/advice you all have to offer. Thanks Everyone.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I think you'd be better off tryin' to sell the wheels yourself. More than likely, you would not get anything extra for the wheels. It's possible that you would actually get less. When you customize a vehicle, the market gets smaller since less people will like the customization you did. To get the most out of a vehicle, it's best to put it back to stock. Unless of course you're able to find someone who will purchase it above blue book because they want the add-ons.

I've had this happen a number of times with Harleys. I bring in a Harley to trade, and the salesman just points to the book and says this is what you'll get. Most of the time they're nice enough to give the high end of the value range, but there's still a loss.

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
+1 on what Flea said. I was going to trade in a vehicle with BBS wheels to CarMax and they basically knocked off the amount of purchasing new wheels. :(

Definitely better off selling it on ebay, trade mag, or here.

-Moto

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply guys. I appreciate the feedback. You just saved me a trip. I'll list them for sale online and put the stock wheels and tires back on before turning the car back in. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
That said you may still want to take to CarMax just to see what they will give you(after returning to stock configuration)... used cars prices are at a premium now and you have very low miles, could get more to buy out your lease and sell to carmax than just turning the car in back to the bank... it depends on what the bank thought your car was going to be worth when the lease was written, and more than likely, you may be able to get more. Whats the worst that can happen... it does not make financial sense and you just turn it in!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.