Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello! I'm brand new to this forum and wanted some leasing advice on a 2016 Porsche Cayman. After driving BMWs (323ci, 328i, 535i) I have decided to change to Porsche after test driving the Cayman.

On a 2016 Base Cayman:
3 year lease, 15K miles/year
MSRP $63,620
Money factor 0.00240
Residual of 60%
$1620 rebate (Welcome to Porsche/Conquest program for ending my BMW 5 series lease)
$1979 due at start

Monthly Lease Payment: $954

The sales associate at a dealership in Miami refused to take any % off the MSRP, saying this is a custom built car and we don't have a big inventory. Is that acceptable? From I understand you can lease a car with a discount on the MSRP even you custom build the car. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
51 Posts
my base (very base no options except better radio 6spd manual and smokers (?) package) was 5900 down, 10000miles a year. 27 month $567 amonth.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Nothing off is a joke. I got 8% off without even negotiating this time last year.

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
Reactions: mrfredsporty

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you, thats what I thought. Negotiating the MSRP (ultimately to decrease the monthly payments on the lease) was just out of the question with the sales associate. Then she started to pressure me to put a refundable $2500 deposit to order the car so I would be included in the next "allocation." She just started to confuse me.

Putting $5,000 down on a lease is non-starter for me, I think that is way too much considering some people lease cars with little money down. I think I will contact another dealer in Pompano, FL which is about 45 minutes away.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Why not look for a leftover new 2015? Dealers are heavily incentivized to move those cars. I just picked up a new 2015 Boxster S (msrp of $80,900) on a 30 month lease 5k miles per year for $781 a month inclusive of taxes. All I paid at drive off was first months payment and a $500 dealer fee.

Keep in mind lease is based on sale price of car and they sold me this car for $70k.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Shop other dealers. On the east side of Florida you have Champion, Braman, Melbourne, Brumos.......as you run up the coast. I deal with Melbourne and really like them. I just ordered my second Cayman from them. See Dylan K if you reach out and let me know....(Admin....make sure I am not walking a line here too close by referencing a specific dealer).

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
To the OP, that's too high. Shop around.

You can BUY a leftover base 20% of from a lot. You'll pay less per month and can decide to keep or sell it after 3 years for likely break event.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thank you, thats what I thought. Negotiating the MSRP (ultimately to decrease the monthly payments on the lease) was just out of the question with the sales associate. Then she started to pressure me to put a refundable $2500 deposit to order the car so I would be included in the next "allocation." She just started to confuse me.

Putting $5,000 down on a lease is non-starter for me, I think that is way too much considering some people lease cars with little money down. I think I will contact another dealer in Pompano, FL which is about 45 minutes away.

I leased my first Porsche ('01 BS) from the dealer in Pompano. It was the height of the dot.com boom and those cars were hard to find. (True story - the SA in the office next to us as I was locking my build answered the phone and took an order from a start up in NJ for 20 Boxsters for the employees to drive as company cars.). Even then, the SA took off $1k and my car arrived 4 months later. I was getting out of a BMW Z3 that I'd leased. Leased a '05 Cayenne when the BS went away since I needed a bigger vehicle with room for my dogs because they didn't fit well in the passenger seat (Rhodesian Ridgebacks).

Fast forward, got a "clearance" 2014 CS in February. I was coming out of a BMW 550 that I'd leased. Since I tend to have a bit of car-ADD I've usually leased but running the numbers it turned out that the nuts and bolts of leasing from Porsche financial services was more expensive than how BMW structures their leases. BMW seems to be more about getting people into their cars so more are on the road so they have very attractive lease offers. Porsche seems to say "eh. We sell plenty of cars". So it made more sense for me to buy a new car a model year old at a pretty good discount (reading this forum I might have been able to do better but it was fair) so I committed to buying it. If car-ADD strikes again in 3-4 years I won't likely take a huge financial hit since I got a good discount up front. I think Lips made a good suggestion, if you really want to lease, look for a 2015 on the lot and you can likely get a good deal. As this forum will tell you, people get discounts off MSRP all the time on ordered vehicles, Porsche is all about customization, so I'd tell the Miami SA to take a hike.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Seems way too high. You can buy a 2015 CPO with less than 5000 miles for ~50K (or less depending on how much you negotiate). Negotiating off of the MSRP should happen regardless if you are leasing or buying. Nothing off is just bad business, go shop around. For that much a month you can buy.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Why not look for a leftover new 2015? Dealers are heavily incentivized to move those cars. I just picked up a new 2015 Boxster S (msrp of $80,900) on a 30 month lease 5k miles per year for $781 a month inclusive of taxes. All I paid at drive off was first months payment and a $500 dealer fee.

Keep in mind lease is based on sale price of car and they sold me this car for $70k.
I Still have 5 payments left on my BMW 535i. If I get a 2015 Cayman now, even with a good deal, I'm still stuck with the BMW payments. If I order a new car
by the time the care arrives I'll only have 2 payments remaining. I have a feeling there won't be too many 2015 Caymans around in 2-3 months.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Porsche is probably offering conquest cash where they pay off up to 3 ( will have to double check that number) of your competing vehicles lease payments.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So another dealership about 45 minutes away will give me $2,000 off MSRP. Its not ideal, but it is still better than the dealership in Miami who said "We don't give discounts."

·
Registered
63 Posts
Send me a PM and I'll give you some great dealer contacts. Not sure what's permissible on the main forum.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Well technically you are getting about 2.5% off MRSP with the conquest program to get you out of your lease.

I think you are losing leverage from having them get you out of the lease. A new build usually takes at least 3 months, so I wouldn't even put that as part of the negotiation.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well technically you are getting about 2.5% off MRSP with the conquest program to get you out of your lease.

I think you are losing leverage from having them get you out of the lease. A new build usually takes at least 3 months, so I wouldn't even put that as part of the negotiation.
That may be the case, but the impression I got was that in general they don't take off MSRP when you custom order a car.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts