Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it can vary some depending on the state, but typically when you lease, is the tax calculated based on the monthly payment or another value?
Also, I live in FL, so if I lease a car from a dealer in another state, do I pay the sales tax based on that state's rules or based on my home state of FL?
Anyone happen to know what the sales tax would be for FL vs. TX on an auto lease?

Thanks!!

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
I know it can vary some depending on the state, but typically when you lease, is the tax calculated based on the monthly payment or another value?
Also, I live in FL, so if I lease a car from a dealer in another state, do I pay the sales tax based on that state's rules or based on my home state of FL?
Anyone happen to know what the sales tax would be for FL vs. TX on an auto lease?

Thanks!!
Usually in most states it's calculated based on your monthly payment, but as you mentioned, in some states it's calculated on the cap cost of the car. I don't know if you pay that amount up front or if it's split up with the monthly payments.

You would pay taxes based on your residence. It shouldn't matter where the car comes from.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you!

Anyone know how it works in FL for leasing and what the % is?

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
thank you!

Anyone know how it works in FL for leasing and what the % is?
In FL, sales tax is assessed on your monthly payment, not the cap cost. The percentage varies by county.

Questions like these can easily be answered by entering something like "leasing car in florida sales tax" in Google...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts