Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

The leather on my stock Cayman shifter is starting to lose its blackness and is slowly looking worn. The car is 1.5 years old now, and I would really like to halt the progression of this wear and tear. Can I use black leather shoepolish on the leather on the shifter? Is there a better product?

If I dont hear anything better, I will try shoepolish and will report back.. I always like kiwi show polish my self. Any thoughts?

Regards,

Ben

·
Cayman Enthusiast
9,995 Posts
Check out the leather care threads and of course you can replace it which is better than not driving for a few months....shoe polish will be very temporary.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
I selected the "Gear/handbrake lever in aluminum II" because I experienced this problem with leather on my previous cars. Carbon fiber is another good option. Sponsors on this site can provide you with a range of options.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like the all aluminum. I do also like the leather though. There must be some reasonable treatment which will keep it maintained. I am sure it will have to be regularly applied, but so does wax, window cleaner, etc.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will investigate some of the other leather care threads, though I think the leather on the shifter is different given the amount of handling.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
I like the all aluminum. I do also like the leather though. There must be some reasonable treatment which will keep it maintained. I am sure it will have to be regularly applied, but so does wax, window cleaner, etc.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will investigate some of the other leather care threads, though I think the leather on the shifter is different given the amount of handling.
It could have something to do with the acidity of your system, especially if your hands sweat even a little bit. It really may be worthwhile to upgrade to a harder material. I opted for the carbon fiber!

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
Leather, especially on a shift knob, is going to wear regardless of what you put on it, since it's constantly being gripped and manipulated by your hand. It's not just the oils/dirt/grime on your hand that wear on it, it's also a slow mechanical abrasion that no conditioner or polish can protect against. The same thing will eventually happen to a leather covered steering wheel, but since the surface area of that is much larger than a shift knob, the wear is slower and less noticeable.

If you want something truly durable your only option would to upgrade the knob to a different material.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just to let you know guys I also ended up using the product for these pieces as well. Keep in mind these components I believe have like a rubber type paint, I just sand them to a smooth surface and dye them. Keep in mind this may not be recommended as these are not leather parts, but as you can see I didn't' have anything to loose as mine were terrible anyway...they do look like new now..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts