Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '07 897 S driver's seat leather has really stretched on the seat cushion and on the seat back. I have 17,000 miles on the car and only weight 135lbs.
Is this unusual. The car is pristine with this one exception.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I weigh about the same as you and have just been noticing the same thing. The seat is not really stretched but they're creases on the bottom cushion from my butt. My audi doesn't have it, but I guess the porsche seat is more taught. I only have 1500mi on my car.

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Do you have heated seats? I notice that in vehicles that do and the heated option is used frequently that the leather tends to stretch out......

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
One other thing that i believe is to be noted.This is not scientific butt i also am a light weight. I have come to the conclusion that because my weight is not distributed over a large area of the seat that it tends to deform a little more quickly.Think if you will of a heavy small object being placed on the seat,even if for just 10 minutes,it will leave an indentations in the upolstery that will either stay there permanently or will take some time to disappear. Pounds per square inch.I.E stilletto heels.If my arse was larger my seat would last longer.If too large then i risk breaking down the side bolsters.Well i guess there is such a thing as the perfect arsehole for the Porsche seat....:hilarious:

·
Registered
490 Posts
They took pictures and said they'd call. I called twice within 12 days (a little surprising and frustrating), and they asked me to come back for the Service Manager to view.

The Service Manager stated today it is a warranty item, and will either have their leather guy try to fix, or order a new bottom seat cover.

I'm not sure how the bubble can be fixed, but I'm far from a leather expert.

I'm dropping the car off next Monday, and have increased my daily intake of Beefcake 3000 to lose my bony ***.

·
Registered
490 Posts
So they shrunk the leather, which I guess isn't that difficult to do. I haven't seen it yet, and won't until Tuesday because they determined the seat cushion needs replacing because it's permanently indented where the bulge was.

I guess I've finally found a downside to being a runner!

So, I'm stuck with a new V6 Cayenne until Tuesday, which I've had since Monday.

I absolutely hate just about everything about this vehicle, starting right with the tiny 17 inch wheels. Why someone would buy this ($51k sticker) over a fully loaded Touerag is unknown to me. I'm sure the higher-end models are better (and look quite nice), but this thing lacks any personality and passion. It's nothing at all like a Cayman, but if it supports Porsche for R&D funds to better the true Porsches....

·
Registered
975 Posts
One other thing that i believe is to be noted.This is not scientific butt i also am a light weight. I have come to the conclusion that because my weight is not distributed over a large area of the seat that it tends to deform a little more quickly.... Pounds per square inch.I.E stilletto heels.If my arse was larger my seat would last longer.If too large then i risk breaking down the side bolsters.Well i guess there is such a thing as the perfect arsehole for the Porsche seat....:hilarious:
LOL hate that I am inclined to agree with that last comment.

I too must not quite be in the porsche arse demographic, I've noticed these indentations increased as I started using my heated seats more this winter. I have 2 stretched dimples from where my pelvis rests. I am careful when getting in/out and there are no scratch marks, just simply a couple spots where my butt seems to apply stiletto like pressure.

In the spring when the weather gets better I'll be going to the dealer to have these fixed under warranty. Don't see any point in having it done now as I'd probably just stretch it out again. I really hope that this doesn't become a yearly routine where I have to get the seat replaced every spring after a winter of stretching.....leather feels nice but its a serious compromise if it can't handle using the heated seats feature.

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
So they shrunk the leather, which I guess isn't that difficult to do. I haven't seen it yet, and won't until Tuesday because they determined the seat cushion needs replacing because it's permanently indented where the bulge was..
I'll bet that the seat cushion was not permanently indented because the same thing happened to my car and I fixed it myself. I moistened the leather with leather conditioner, put heavy books in the seat and parked the car outside in the sun for a few hours. When I removed the books the indention had gone away. (I have no idea why I arrived at that particular "fix" but it worked.)

However, I'm glad that you are getting a new seat cushion! :cheers:

·
Registered
352 Posts
I'm in the leather furniture business and can tell you that ALL leather stretches with use. Grade A steer hide is the least stretchy of the bunch, but I don't know specifically what Porsche uses. Hopefully not cowhide (from a female cow) as its the most prone to stretching.

You can take a heat gun and carefully go over the surface of the leather and it will tighten it up, but its a short term fix. Eventually it will stretch some over time.

We have a saying in the leather business. "If you want perfection, buy vinyl".

·
Registered
283 Posts
So they shrunk the leather, which I guess isn't that difficult to do. I haven't seen it yet, and won't until Tuesday because they determined the seat cushion needs replacing because it's permanently indented where the bulge was.

I guess I've finally found a downside to being a runner!

So, I'm stuck with a new V6 Cayenne until Tuesday, which I've had since Monday.

I absolutely hate just about everything about this vehicle, starting right with the tiny 17 inch wheels. Why someone would buy this ($51k sticker) over a fully loaded Touerag is unknown to me. I'm sure the higher-end models are better (and look quite nice), but this thing lacks any personality and passion. It's nothing at all like a Cayman, but if it supports Porsche for R&D funds to better the true Porsches....

So he/she can have a Porsche that can be seen in/driven year round.
And you know we should thank them.

·
Registered
490 Posts
You know, I must apologize to the Cayenne.

It was an absolute blast during our recent snowfall while everyone else was freaking out. The 4wd system works well.

Texas Drivers,

At least a little momentum is needed! You can't just expect to go 2mph up and over an icy bridge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts