Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I prefer the look of the Cayman with the spoiler up and loved the fixed spoiler on my previous Cayman R.

Anyone know if leaving the spoiler permanently in the up position can cause any issues, especially in winter where all that salt on the road gets covered on the back of the car?

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I prefer the look of the Cayman with the spoiler up and loved the fixed spoiler on my previous Cayman R.

Anyone know if leaving the spoiler permanently in the up position can cause any issues, especially in winter where all that salt on the road gets covered on the back of the car?
I can't see how it would cause any issues. The manual lift switch is provided to permit cleaning so if anything it could be better as how many owners raise the rear spoiler everytime they wash their car?

·
Registered
3,045 Posts

I would suspect that leaving it up would create less issues. The Spoiler down positions would allow "stuff" to accumulate between the Spoiler and the Bodywork.

In my 2013 model I have to press the spoiler up button after a restart. The 2014 models remember the spoiler position and can be left extended all the time.

I think it looks better up as well. There was a poll here some time ago.

Reactions: pday

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
My only thought on having it up all the time is that it looks kinda broken. People who know that it raises at speed will think something has gone wrong. It's like driving around with pop-up headlights open during the day.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
My only thought on having it up all the time is that it looks kinda broken. People who know that it raises at speed will think something has gone wrong. It's like driving around with pop-up headlights open during the day.
You forget that if these people do know this, they also know that, that some of us like to prance around with it up. Your average punter most likely can't work out what model car it is. :)

Reactions: KCZ and frisco981

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another point is if we are driving to the legal speed limits (70 mph in UK) it would never (EVER) operate at all seeing it raises only at 75 mph :hilarious:

It will also give easy sight to police to know you are speeding :naughty:

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Doubt there would be any problems. I did this for a bit then think it actually looks better down. I don't think the spoiler provides any advantage honestly because it is so small. I think of it as a vanity item. When it's up, everything knows you are speeding...or they see it automatically go up means you just got over 75 mph.

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Another point is if we are driving to the legal speed limits (70 mph in UK) it would never (EVER) operate at all seeing it raises only at 75 mph :hilarious:

It will also give easy sight to police to know you are speeding :naughty:
Years ago when driving my Carrera 4 with the spoiler up manually and at or under the legal speed limit, I got pulled over by Highway Patrol. It turns out the officer knew enough about Porsche's to know that the spoiler comes automatically when you get to around 85 MPH. I was driving in a 35 MPH zone and he was going the other way, turned around, and pulled me over. I knew I wasn't speeding so I'm thinking WTF?

He pointed out the my spoiler was up but his radar said I wasn't speeding. I showed him how it could be operated manually.

Turns out he was a real fan of Porsches and we had fun talking about the features of the car just enjoying how beautiful it was. He didn't know about the manual spoiler button.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
The spoiler reduces rear axle lift but your speed really needs to be about 120 MPH for that to be relevant. It's not large enough to create actual downforce but it does neutralize the airflow over the rear. At a speed like 140 MPH the lift can be equivalent to a body builder standing under the car and picking it up from the rear. The idea with the aero is to reduce that to zero or neutral.

When you get into a wing like the GT3 RS, that's creating a few hundred pounds of downforce in concert with the front lip.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Is the OP going to change his user name to Priapus?

Reactions: Por Sha

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
I don't think the spoiler provides any advantage honestly because it is so small.
No, Westwest888 is correct. It does not generate downforce but reduces lift. In the 987 up to "At top speed, the lift at the rear axle is reduced by approx. 30 kg/ 66.1 lbs.". At US highway speeds, very little hence it extends as appropriate when it might actually do something.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I agree that having the spoiler raised is a red flag. If anything I would like the option to keep it lowered while driving as I don't expect to hit triple digits.

Reactions: Dan

·
Vendor
707 Posts
I leave it up because the other kids at the playground that have wings, make fun of my car. NOW...if you want to know if there's any ill effects, we need to do some homework to confirm that I'm not the only 981 owner that had to replace BOTH tail lamps at 20K miles. My tail lamps have a ton of condensation in them...ALWAYS. I didn't think anything of it til I got pulled over one morning at 7am. The halo had died. So i got 1 replaced and shortly thereafter the other went. So...given that i use to ALWAYS run the wing up, unless someone forgot to put some sort of insulation gasket in BOTH tail lamps when they were assembled wherever, that might be 1 effect.

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
Don't worry. 99.9% what model it is. Never mind default modes of the movable spoiler :)

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I leave it up because the other kids at the playground that have wings, make fun of my car. NOW...if you want to know if there's any ill effects, we need to do some homework to confirm that I'm not the only 981 owner that had to replace BOTH tail lamps at 20K miles. My tail lamps have a ton of condensation in them...ALWAYS. I didn't think anything of it til I got pulled over one morning at 7am. The halo had died. So i got 1 replaced and shortly thereafter the other went. So...given that i use to ALWAYS run the wing up, unless someone forgot to put some sort of insulation gasket in BOTH tail lamps when they were assembled wherever, that might be 1 effect.
I started a theead about headlight condensatio.n a day or two ago. I cannot see how this can happen on this car. I am talking to the dealer to see what if anything can be done about it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
My concern would be that some idiots may lean on it and break or bent it when you park the car... Other than that I can't see how it should be a problem.

Reactions: chows4us

·
Registered
196 Posts
who cares if it's functional or not, if you think it looks good do it imo. people don't put stickers on their cars to make them go faster, it's because they look awesome.

maybe it matters if you're building a track car then every part is functional but that's different.

there's an art in going fast AND there's art in looking good. ;)

enjoy what you enjoy. :)

1 - 20 of 59 Posts