Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still holding out for a better way to get a phone mounted on the left side of the gauges.

The left vent detaches with three tabs (inside the vent) and two T25 Torx screws on the left (under the fuse panel).

20161201_160201.jpg 20161201_160142-001.jpg 20161201_160138-001.jpg 20161201_160338.jpg

Start by removing the left fuse panel cover (it just pops loose) and then the two Torx screws.

Then get out a flashlight and look straight into the vent. Move the vanes around to find the tabs. You can just barely make out the small rectangular tabs on the right-inside of the vent, when looking straight inward. Use a small screwdriver through them and put pressure on them to move them inward toward the center of the vent. This will retract it them the side and you can pull the whole vent assembly toward you. There's a third such clip at the top. I didn't notice it when I removed the vent. The spring tension isn't so tight that anything broke. Nor could I readily make out how to get at that tab from inside the vent.

Here's what it looks like with the vent removed:

20161201_160414.jpg

There's a screw underneath the bottom of the vent, that's one of the screws that holds the lower fascia onto the dashboard. There's no screw at top but there is a molded-in recess/slot into which a tab on the back of the vent fits. I've circled them here:

20161201_160414 circled.jpg

I suppose some kind of bracket could be constructed that made use of the two points. There's really nothing else in that space that would provide any kind of better attachment point. The back of the vent itself does not appear to have anything suitable as a mounting point.

Meanwhile, the Rennline center mount doesn't fit on a 2017 PCM.

·
Vendor
6,483 Posts
Damn, that's not much to go on with. Can the credit card be inserted on the right side of the vent, right top-left of the keyhole? Is blue-crossed area flat all the way down, or is there a ridge there at the end?

Capture.PNG

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm going to pull it apart again sometime tomorrow and take a few more pictures and some video. I sent a clip off to the Rennline folks regarding the changes in the '17 PCM that prevent their bracket from being able to work.

I have not yet examined the vent that runs along the top. It's in there pretty tight. I don't know if it's removable, but I haven't tried. I do have some reasonably decent plastic trim removal tools, so I should be able to do some investigative prying without wrecking anything.

These are the only two pictures I have of that area of the console. Neither show the blue-hatched part from your picture very distinctly. I'll get better shots tomorrow. Video would probably help more too.

DSC_0123.JPG 20161117_221441.jpg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts