·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Premium Member
2,563 Posts
Re: Le Mans 2018

Yes, this year at Sebring, the most exotic sounding car in the sports car classes was the Porsche 911 RSRs. They now are the sole owners of the best sounding cars............in the field.

·
Registered
94 Posts

You were RIGHT the first time. Cayman! Look closely. They no longer have the “911” decal/emblem on the rear fascia. Just says “PORSCHE RSR” now. It’s CLEARLY a Cayman. They don’t want to call it a Cayman (YET), but the engineers have known for quite some time that MID MOUNTED FLAT SIXES (NO TURBO REQUIRED) are the HOT TICKET for the RSR.

https://youtu.be/y_Ka4znvARg

Reactions: 1028Caymn

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

LeManVidz guy uploaded a new one today of just RSR cuts:

@ 1:30 when they blip downshift into .. i think that's the Dunlop chicane - the echoes/reverb is awesome

Reactions: Silber9r

·
Registered
94 Posts

Can’t wait! 10 more days. Some sites say Fox Sports TV coverage, but other sites say Velocity channel.

Update. VELOCITY CHANNEL (Part of discovery network) will air 25-1/2 hours of HD coverage from 0800 hrs Saturday 16 June to 0930 hrs Sunday 17 June. **All times are EDT ...Porsche is only entered in GT & GTLM classes and going all out since they don’t have to deal with P class.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
2,108 Posts

Cool car but an engine shifted forward and rotated does not make it a Cayman. That is a mid-engine 911.

Reactions: chows4us

·
Registered
1,128 Posts

Wish I had velocity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,128 Posts

Wish I had velocity.

Just discovered it’s streaming on Motor Trend (app) and Web site.

·
Registered
832 Posts

lol, It may not be a Cayman, but if the engine is in front of the rear wheels then it sure ain't a 911. The 911 signature configuration is rear engine behind the rear axle. Can you think of a single exception that was still called a 911?

Cool car but an engine shifted forward and rotated does not make it a Cayman. That is a mid-engine 911.

·
Registered
94 Posts

lol, It may not be a Cayman, but if the engine is in front of the rear wheels then it sure ain't a 911. The 911 signature configuration is rear engine behind the rear axle. Can you think of a single exception that was still called a 911?
I kinda’ sorta’ agree. I did notice that the “911” model designation is no longer present on the rear fascia next to “RSR”. Really surprised that the FIA allows this as I would think that there are some sort of homologation rules for cars running GT, GTE or GTLM. Seems as the FIA is letting it slide. Porsche can “verbally” call it anything they want. To me, it’s a “718 GTR RSR”. Maybe a 911 mid motor car will be coming to the production line someday soon. Wouldn’t THAT stir the pot?!?!
Surprised the Vette’s aren’t taking advantage of the “relaxed” homologation standards. “GM-BadBoy” is rumored to already have a mid-motor Vette in final testing that has already shown improvements over their current front engine GTLM/GTE cars.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts

So... Let me get this straight. Porsche is calling this “new fangled” MID ENGINE 911 RSR “THE SPEARHEAD OF THE 911 FAMILY”. To me, that would refer to the fact that it’s the SHARPEST weapon in the line-up. So... If the sharpest car in the 911 FAMILY is designed and engineered with a naturally aspirated flat six in front of the rear axle (transaxle) like say... in a way, my little, as my 911 Turbo S neighbor refers to it... “bottom feeder” 981, wouldn’t that tend to possibly make some of the buyers of NON-SPEARHEAD (or “less sharp”) models of the 911 family feel... well... um... Less Sharp?
Not tryin’ to ruffle any “non-spearhead” feathers, but it sure does make me feel just about half a smidge better that I could only afford my little so called “bottom feeder”.

YOU ROCK 911 RSR! Feel free to stop by and hang out with my little mid engine 981 anytime. Oh, and bring the family with you. It’s OK that they have a rear mounted engines. No, Really... It’s OK. Tell ‘em not to be embarrassed.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts

So... Let me get this straight. Porsche is calling this “new fangled” MID ENGINE 911 RSR “THE SPEARHEAD OF THE 911 FAMILY”. To me, that would refer to the fact that it’s the SHARPEST weapon in the line-up. So... If the sharpest car in the 911 FAMILY is designed and engineered with a naturally aspirated flat six in front of the rear axle (transaxle) like say... in a way, my little, as my 911 Turbo S neighbor refers to it... “bottom feeder” 981, wouldn’t that tend to possibly make some of the buyers of NON-SPEARHEAD (or “less sharp”) models of the 911 family feel... well... um... Less Sharp?
Not tryin’ to ruffle any “non-spearhead” feathers, but it sure does make me feel just about half a smidge better that I could only afford my little so called “bottom feeder”.

YOU ROCK 911 RSR! Feel free to stop by and hang out with my little mid engine 981 anytime. Oh, and bring the family with you. It’s OK that they have a rear mounted engines. No, Really... It’s OK. Tell ‘em not to be embarrassed.
If the neighbor is serious, I have to be sure and tell him to kiss my bottom feeder a$$.

·
Registered
94 Posts

If the neighbor is serious, I have to be sure and tell him to kiss my bottom feeder a$$.

I know he’s messin’ with me. That’s what we do... mostly him messin’ with me. He's a former Trans Am owner/driver. Sports cars are his passion, and he’s done quite well in life. He’s got 5 Porsche’s, 2 Ferrari’s (including a brand new 488), a new Lamborghini, and a real Shelby Cobra (and still has his old trans am cars... one Camaro and 2 mustangs). Dave’s a great guy and a good friend, but does mess with ALL of his neighbors. He let me take his 2018 Turbo S to the Sebring12 hour race this year... one of the coolest cars I’ve ever driven. On our street, there are 9 Porsche owners (most have more than 1). I was late to the party (finally got mine in April). I’m surprised that none of them have commented on this thread yet. Dave is already in LeMans. Goes almost every year. He invited my wife and I to go with them this year, but we have a wedding to attend next Saturday.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts

I know he’s messin’ with me. That’s what we do... mostly him messin’ with me. He's a former Trans Am owner/driver. Sports cars are his passion, and he’s done quite well in life. He’s got 5 Porsche’s, 2 Ferrari’s (including a brand new 488), a new Lamborghini, and a real Shelby Cobra (and still has his old trans am cars... one Camaro and 2 mustangs). Dave’s a great guy and a good friend, but does mess with ALL of his neighbors. He let me take his 2018 Turbo S to the Sebring12 hour race this year... one of the coolest cars I’ve ever driven. On our street, there are 9 Porsche owners (most have more than 1). I was late to the party (finally got mine in April). I’m surprised that none of them have commented on this thread yet. Dave is already in LeMans. Goes almost every year. He invited my wife and I to go with them this year, but we have a wedding to attend next Saturday.
That’s funny. sounds like a pretty nice guy.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts