Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just took delivery of my 981 and i have a couple of questions ..im not gonna dig into the break in period and all the fuzz around it.

First of all, what should be the oil temperature for a cold start? some people say 90 C but i think thats when the car is already moving or should i just wait for the RPM to drop below 1K?

Second thing is that im very paranoid so asked my delivery guy alot already , but i just wanted to make sure about the smell coming from the engine ..is that normal?? it smells like burned stuff ..is it due to the position of the engine? please give me good news since ive never smelled my engine combustion before.

Thanx in advance

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
The engine "smell" is normal...and it won't necessarily completely disappear over time. My GTS has about 60,000 km on it and it still smells like burnt oil every time I run it a bit hard. Our Cayman has 21,000 km on it and still has the characteristic odor as well when run with a bit of enthusiasm...less so when it's just asked to putter about doing errands.

Reactions: MR_nice_guy

·
Registered
146 Posts
Those with more years of running Porsches will probably chime in soon.

Re: break-in period: I followed all recommendations: did not exceed 4200 RPM for 2,000 miles. (I had the oil and filter changed at 3,000 miles).
Re: that smell: totally normal. 10,000 on my 2014 Cayman, and after spirited driving (read high temps and RPMs), there's quite the smell.
Re: warmed up oil temp: 70C (158F) is when the oil gauge no longer shows "cold". I let my 2014 Base Cayman's oil get to 70C before I'll go above 5,000 RPM. (That's just me; others will offer different thoughts on this.)

Good luck, and welcome.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I just turned 100 miles on my one week old GTS - not bad considering the cold and snowy weather we've been experiencing. :dance:

Yes, I have that burnt smell when the car returns to the garage. I wasn't concerned as I've had the same in a number of new cars I've owned. It diminishes as you drive the car and eventually disappears, or you get used to it. So, get out and drive that car!:drivingskid:

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
just took delivery of my 981 and i have a couple of questions ..im not gonna dig into the break in period and all the fuzz around it.

First of all, what should be the oil temperature for a cold start? some people say 90 C but i think thats when the car is already moving or should i just wait for the RPM to drop below 1K?

Second thing is that im very paranoid so asked my delivery guy alot already , but i just wanted to make sure about the smell coming from the engine ..is that normal?? it smells like burned stuff ..is it due to the position of the engine? please give me good news since ive never smelled my engine combustion before.

Thanx in advance
Break-in: just follow what the manual suggests for your region/country. USA seems to have a different guideline compared to other countries.

Oil temp for cold start: your question is a bit confusing but, I think I know what you're asking. At cold start-up, soon as the idle settles (I can't remember what my car's normal idle but I think it's around 750-775 rpm) you're ready to drive. There's no reason to wait for the temp to reach a certain level before drive off. Drive conservatively (personally, I shifted at around 3k without aggressive throttle input) until the oil temp reaches around 80C. At this point, I personally think the engine oil is 'warmed-up'. How you drive beyond this point while in the break-in period and what temp is considered 'warmed-up' has been debated to no end.

Engine smell: as most have already stated, very normal.

Good luck and congrats on your new 981.

Don't be shy show some pics.

·
Registered
507 Posts

Thanx in advance
on a Brand new car, burned smell is normal. Thats just all the different fluids and lubricants and seals buring off what little moisture and oil there is. Its normal and it should go away.

I work at a racing school and we wait for our Ferraris and Lamborghinis to have an engine water temp of 45C MINIMUM before entering the track, safe temperature to start driving normally is at 45C, driving hard should wait until about 70C+

·
Registered
6 Posts
Oil and filter change at 3,000 miles? Why?

On delivery of my BGTS the sales rep said "see you in two years", meaning that not even the oil and filters need to be changed for two years unless your electronic oil level gets into the red zone or you get a dash warning.

I never warm the car up on first start, that is actually not recommended at all. Turn the key and drive away immediately.

I am now up to 1,500 miles and once oil temp is 40C I exceed 3,000rpm and once it is 80C I drive it like I stole it :) These cars leave the factory with much higher tolerances than we think. Many of them go straight to Porsche Experience Centers without any mileage on the clock and get thrashed immediately without any detrimental affect long term.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Those with more years of running Porsches will probably chime in soon.

Re: break-in period: I followed all recommendations: did not exceed 4200 RPM for 2,000 miles. (I had the oil and filter changed at 3,000 miles).
Re: that smell: totally normal. 10,000 on my 2014 Cayman, and after spirited driving (read high temps and RPMs), there's quite the smell.
Re: warmed up oil temp: 70C (158F) is when the oil gauge no longer shows "cold". I let my 2014 Base Cayman's oil get to 70C before I'll go above 5,000 RPM. (That's just me; others will offer different thoughts on this.)

Good luck, and welcome.
Hmmm,
I've never smelled anything from the engine from inside the car even after autocross runs. Maybe a Cayman traps it more than a Boxster.

What? You have a gage that shows "cold." Mine shows only degrees for water and oil. What do you mean it shows cold?

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
Cold start: give it a few seconds and drive the car. No need to seat in the car doing nothing. The important thing is not to drive hard (over 4000rpm) until the engine is completely warmed up and not in the "cold" zone.

Smell: normal. Some cars have it some don't. My Boxster doesn't. Anyway, you'll get use to it.

Break-in: skip completely (and see the first line)

·
Registered
603 Posts
The smell will go away (at least it did for me).

Cold start - depends. You can't really control the temp of the oil before you start the engine so unless you live in a particularly cold place and are outside the operating temp in the handbook and have an oil heater or something then you'll just be stuck with whatever the temp is. After it's started I wouldn't drive off at less than 50F and don't push it below 160F. Also I try and make sure that at least once a week I get the oil properly warmed up to burn off any moisture as recommended by the guy from Mobil 1.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Yeah it can have some "aromas" when hot. It just means your car loves you for driving it hard, especially if you wait until the oil is warm enough.

Oil change? I did my first at 2,000 miles, before a track day. Did the second at 5,000 before a track day. Why not? $50 of oil to keep your engine happy, no brainer.

Break in? Um, no. Get the oil up to temp and go for it. Break it in slow and it will be a slow car. That point is open to debate.
When I took delivery, my car had 241 miles on it. I immediately took it for a 120 mile cruise, speeds ranging from 60 to 120.
The car is rock solid and doesn't burn a drop of oil.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts