Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may prove to be a real mammary of a question, however, I am interested in knowing what the latest school of thought is when it comes to periodically starting a stored vehicle. Essentially, my boxster gets stored indoors for the duration of the winter. Up here in New England, the season can last upwards of six months. In the past, I would start my vehicle almost on a weekly basis and let it run for approximately a half hour. Is there any real benefit to doing this, other than OPEC and the garage mice loving it ? Some have suggested starting it only once a month. Whereas, others have recommended not starting it at all, and simply leaving the battery hooked up to a charger. Any thoughts out there ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
...the latest school of thought is when it comes to periodically starting a stored vehicle...
I'm curious too. Personally, I try to run mine until it reaches operating temperature and for a little while longer (maybe 10 minutes?) at least every two weeks. This goes for my CSS and my 1972 MGB GT. Having said that, I'm not sure I would start them up if I had a battery conditioner (I don't have electricity in my garages alas). As it happens, the MG sat in the garage without being turned over for 12 years until recently, and the engine doesn't seem to have suffered from the experience even though it wasn't drained of fluids beforehand.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It's good to start them at least once a month as this keeps oil circulated throughout the system. You should definitely warm them up to operating temperature and a bit past as this will help boil off any moisture in the engine/exhaust system.

If possible, you should also drive the vehicles around a little bit, even if it's just a couple laps around the block. This will ensure any seals get lubricated as well and promote their life.

Furthermore, run the A/C at least once a month to get the fluid moving through the system and lubricating all the seals in that. :)

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
There was thread about this subject a week or two ago and basically it boiled down to letting it sit there on a trickle charger and NOT start it since the most damage to an engine happens on start up.

Personally, I would start mine and let it warm up like mentioned above, but the other thread said not to.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
If you look up previous threads on winter storage you will find that the overwhelming opinion is to fill the tank, add fuel stablizer, pump the tires to 45-50psi, plug in a battery maintainer (NOT a trickle charger) and do not start the car for the duration. I have done this for 30 years and my cars start right up in the spring and have experienced no mechanical problems that could be attributed to storage. I am in western NY and storage runs from November thru April.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
If you look up previous threads on winter storage you will find that the overwhelming opinion is to fill the tank, add fuel stablizer, pump the tires to 45-50psi, plug in a battery maintainer (NOT a trickle charger) and do not start the car for the duration. I have done this for 30 years and my cars start right up in the spring and have experienced no mechanical problems that could be attributed to storage. I am in western NY and storage runs from November thru April.

Thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
Sounds like that's the ticket, but it's tough walking past it daily with no sound, so I go against the grain every 6 weeks or so, when the mood strikes....:dance:

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts

There you go.

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
Like a kid waiting for Christmas I guess, had to pull the cover off to look at it and topped up coolant while it was open, and of course start it, first time in 2 months, turned over great, lettin it warm up and then some, kick it down gently few times and she's good till spring,,,,,had to break the rules,,,;)

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts
Assuming that the garages in question are not heated, I would add that synthetic oil is a lot less prone to forming acids when condensation drops water into the oil. Even with an MG, I'd do synthetic for winter storage.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts