Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My new to me 2015 Cayman came with a tow socket front license plate bracket that was terrible. The aluminum backing plate was nice so I mounted it on 1 1/4” long 1/2” hex aluminum standoffs with 1/4-20 threads. I used 316 stainless steel FHMS and countersunk the holes. From the back, I used 316 Hex Head screws. I also used 316 flat washers. I was able to reach in the holes under the bumper with a ratchet and do the work without removing anything. I think it came out really good.

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
Your system looks nice! This said, I really just hate front plates because they mess up the lines of the car … I live in IL, USA where we require a front plate, and I just choose to ignore the stupid law. In 20 years of doing so, I have only gotten a couple of tickets. After writing this post, I am sure my luck will now change for the worse! 🤓

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Never even pulled over for it, never displayed a front plate back to my Datsun Z. Now I live where there's only one tag anyway. But back in the days of NE living my sense of it was it mostly was an "and one" ducket for someone not being courteous at a traffic stop; I had family in that city on the job.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It’s get-pulled-over material here in NY. Years ago, I had a ‘71 911T and a trooper followed me up my steepass driveway and gave me a ticket for no front plate.

·
Registered
68 Posts
It’s get-pulled-over material here in NY. Years ago, I had a ‘71 911T and a trooper followed me up my steepass driveway and gave me a ticket for no front plate.
Yikes. Happy our IL cops are busy ignoring other more serious crimes. One thought I just remembered… years ago I had a JCW mini that I used a tow hook front plate bracket on …. when I was at a car wash that had the old style brushes, they got tangled up in the bracket and lifted the front end of the mini briefly off the ground before causing a catastrophic failure of the car wash machine itself … bent the bracket pretty badly also. The owner wasn’t around and once my car was freed up, I got the heck out of there!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts