Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So looking at the car I noticed the left side license plate bulb was not on when the lights were on. Being as they come in a two pack I decided to replace both. After reinstalling, the left side still doesn’t work. I tried three other bulbs on that side and still no joy. Could this be a fuse problem? If so, do they run independently from each license plate light? What could possibly be wrong if that’s not the case. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I haven't looked at the wiring diagram, but I would seriously doubt the two bulbs are on separate fuses. Sounds like a wiring or socket problem. Use your voltmeter to check voltage at the connector plug and at the bulb socket, you should be able to find where the current stops.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't looked at the wiring diagram, but I would seriously doubt the two bulbs are on separate fuses. Sounds like a wiring or socket problem. Use your voltmeter to check voltage at the connector plug and at the bulb socket, you should be able to find where the current stops.

Got it. Will check out the current there and see what we are looking at. Thanks

Most likely wiring or socket issue. These sockets because of their location are more prone to oxidation and deterioration than others.
I see. If it is a socket, are they simple plug in type or will there be some wire splicing required to make the repair?

·
Registered
279 Posts
The socket is slide bulb type. Both lights are on the same circuit. As mentioned already, the first thing is to turn the lights on and measure the voltage with multi-tester. Sometimes it is just a bad contact and a matter of cleaning the socket. The socket is on a separate module and if I remember correctly it is plug-in type.

Text Line Diagram Parallel Font

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The socket is slide bulb type. Both lights are on the same circuit. As mentioned already, the first thing is to turn the lights on and measure the voltage with multi-tester. Sometimes it is just a bad contact and a matter of cleaning the socket. The socket is on a separate module and if I remember correctly it is plug-in type.

View attachment 175241
Alright, so I broke out the multimeter and there was no current on that side. I unclipped the assembly and pulled it out and unplugged it. I then tested the wire connector and there is current there so I believe the assembly is bad. Unfortunately in the process I dropped the wire connector down into the bumper. I am going to order a new assembly now. But does anyone happen to know if there is an easy way to get the connector out of the bumper without removing it or anything like that?

Thanks for all of the help. Here is a pic of what the assembly if anyone is interested in the future. It seems very clean. This car has never been in the rain or snow

·
Registered
279 Posts
Unfortunately I can't help you with the dropped connector. These things happen and I don't want to tell you how many hours I have spent chasing small parts in the engine bays of different cars.
Did you try to clean the connectors on both sides before ordering the new assembly? There is not much there inside to break. Although if the assembly is inexpensive getting new one is probably better.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Unfortunately I can't help you with the dropped connector. These things happen and I don't want to tell you how many hours I have spent chasing small parts in the engine bays of different cars.
Did you try to clean the connectors on both sides before ordering the new assembly? There is not much there inside to break. Although if the assembly is inexpensive getting new one is probably better.
Yeah I don’t exactly know how I’m going to tackle getting the connector out but we will see when the time comes. The connectors weren’t dirty or corroded whatsoever on the assembly. A new one was 35 so I just went ahead and ordered one. Hopefully it will be here soon so I can get it fixed.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fixed it. The part came in from pelican parts this afternoon and I just installed it. Got the connector and fished it up through the bumper with a flexible magnet. Took a while but once I got it connected it worked perfectly. Thank you for all the help.

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,901 Posts
Fixed it. The part came in from pelican parts this afternoon and I just installed it. Got the connector and fished it up through the bumper with a flexible magnet. Took a while but once I got it connected it worked perfectly. Thank you for all the help.
Glad it all worked out for you. Happy motoring!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Reactions: bucknutt76
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.