Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone is doing anything special with their plate frames. I am thinking a thin chrome one would be an improvement from this ugly black dealer frame. Share your thoughts please.

Thanks Russ

·
Cayman Enthusiast
10,007 Posts
Bumperplugs saidthey get the question a lot but most frames were to poor quality so they don't offer them. I'm not sure if they were thinking 'metal' vs plastic however.

Probably could get one of your local air brushcompanies to doone for you if you are really interested.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Russ -

You read my mind.....

I picked up a thin blackmetal version with screw caps from my local Autozone......not bad quality.....just plain and thin......around $8. I then went online and ordered a spray can of Atlas Grey paint from one of the many automotive paint suppliers......should arrive today. I plan on very lightly sanding the black metal frame (for new paint adhesion) and spraying with the Atlas Grey. Also got a can of clear coat for it.

I'm pretty good with a spray can so I'm hoping it should look pretty good when done. In the past I have always had black cars......so black or chrome frames looked good.......Atlas doesn't really look good with either IMO.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the help!

I jsut walked down to our local Napa store and got a thin chrome one for $4.50. I can always dump it when I find something better, but I am sure this will be an improvement over that dealer one. Also another thought is that when I get my chrome tips the chrome plate frame will match!

Aloha Russ

·
Administrator
34,646 Posts
Russk,

I have used an individual called 'Knobmeister' to do plate frames for various clubs before. He does great work and the plates are either powder coated stainless steel or polished stainless so no rusting or discoloration. Here is an example of what he did for me: (Cost was around $25-$30)

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
I'm going to get a brushed stainless steel plate frame from Performanceproducts

·
There is no substitute!
960 Posts
fmarshall,

I've called Performanceproducts and they were not sure if it comes with the stainless steel screw hide caps. On the other hand I've found this web site for plain frames

http://www.licenseplates.tv/index.php/cPath/30_124?osCsid=c9ad26994cdef4048e58a61a4889c881

<table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" width="100%" border="0" valign="top">
<tbody>
<tr>
<td valign="top">
<table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" width="100%" border="0" valign="top">
<tbody>
<tr valign="top">
<td class="productHeading">SLEEK DESIGN CHROME STAINLESS STEEL 4-HOLE LICENSE PLATE FRAME</td>
<td class="pageHeading" valign="top" align="right">$25.00</td>
</tr>
</tbody>
</table>
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>
<table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" align="center" border="0">
<tbody>
<tr>
<td class="pageHeading" align="center"></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="smallText" align="center">
</td>
</tr>
</tbody>
</table>
</td>
</tr>
</tbody>
</table>

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
I'm going to get a brushed stainless steel plate frame from Performanceproducts

thats the frame I got....bought it at the dealership. i think it looks purty.

looks like someone (K-Man S) got some new 'tips'.....very nice....

·
There is no substitute!
960 Posts
<blockquote id="quote">quote:<hr id="quote" noshade="noshade" height="1" /> I'm going to get a brushed stainless steel plate frame from Performanceproducts
<hr id="quote" noshade="noshade" height="1" />

thats the frame I got....bought it at the dealership. i think it looks purty.

looks like someone (K-Man S) got some new 'tips'.....very nice....

Does it come with Stainles Steel screw caps?
</blockquote>

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
silver plastic screw caps...doesnt look bad though. besides...the license plate doesnt get a lot of action..

i dont think SS caps are really necessary...

my caman had 2 holes...i just drilled another two into the LP area...no biggy.

Edited by - RedRocket on 02/23/2006 4:20:19 PM

·
Registered
15 Posts
Framelss looks best 2 me.

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
Formula1,
Thanks for the info. I wanted the one from Performance because it said Porsche and because it was brushed stainless and not chrome, as my exhaust will match. For those that are okay without a marque and wanting chrome, the one you suggest would work nicely.

Thanks!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.