Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This probably applies to any car with a bumper skin, but Porsche is the first time I've run across it. I bought mine used - the previous owners mounted the rear plate (no front plate) with sheet metal screws right into the bumper skin. It works, but not well, and the plate had loosened and rubbed the paint. A trip to the hardware store wandering around the nut and bolt aisle (grab the bag early and write down what you're getting - you'll never remember when you get to the counter) - 4 8-32 well nuts (expanding rubber sleeves), 4 8-32x1" stainless machine screws, and 4 #8 stainless finishing washers. I had to enlarge the existing holes to slightly over 1/4" to get the well nuts in. The plate is mounted securely, and the lip of the well nuts keeps the plate off the paint. Since I live in Vermont - I also had the pleasure of mounting a front plate bracket and plate on a virgin skin. The dimples are there, put some blue tape over them just in case, start small, and just like a band aid - drill into it... Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2009 987.2 2.9 6-speed
320 Posts
I'm also in Vermont. I only put the front plate on for inspection and so far have had no issues. I do have the Rennline tow hook screw in plate holder but most of the time the plate holder lives in my garage (I suppose I should throw it in the Frunk in case I get pulled over). FYI, Rennline is in Milton. Almost all of their business is web based. I stopped in on a Friday afternoon unannounced and they treated me like royalty. I got a beer and a tour of the shop:) Pretty cool little shop and very nice folk. I have no affiliation.

There was a bill going through our legislature to eliminate the need for the front plate. I don't know the current status of that though.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
I'm also in Vermont. I only put the front plate on for inspection and so far have had no issues. I do have the Rennline tow hook screw in plate holder but most of the time the plate holder lives in my garage (I suppose I should throw it in the Frunk in case I get pulled over). FYI, Rennline is in Milton. Almost all of their business is web based. I stopped in on a Friday afternoon unannounced and they treated me like royalty. I got a beer and a tour of the shop:) Pretty cool little shop and very nice folk. I have no affiliation.

There was a bill going through our legislature to eliminate the need for the front plate. I don't know the current status of that though.

I made it 7 months without a front plate until I got stopped by Richmond police on the on ramp for I-89. Got a compliment on the car and a written warning. Helped I was able to say I had a tow hook mount already to go. Good luck though, worth a try!

Agree about Rennline. I bought and installed the aluminum pedal covers.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Lets just say I know that officer. Where do you live? I'm in Williston.
Jericho. My commute to BTV is often a highlight of my day.

I'm surprised I haven't seen your Boxster, Guards Red hard to miss!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I'm in Waterbury and am in and out of Stowe several times a week. I work out of my house so, my commute is 35'... I bought the porsche plate mount, drilled the two small holes, put the curve in the plate by hand - it's done, I'm legal, one less reason for a road side chat (good natured or otherwise). You never know when you're going to lose the lottery and have the officer who's just in 'that' mood...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.