Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
F6EDD5D6-F934-497E-9C45-49A0D46ABAD1.jpeg
My 2012 Cayenne has two broke license plate screws . It was this way when I bought it . I tried using and easy out to get the broke screw out but it won’t come out . My question is the screw is broke in what appears to be a round insert that the screw goes into . If I use a larger drill bit and completely drill out the center is that round insert something I can purchase to replace the one I drilled out ? Any help would be great !

·
Registered
182 Posts
Although a huge PIA, if you pulled the bumper cover it would be an easier repair with less chance of damage to the cover itself, might be able to grab the shank with vise grips and retain the threads. (yeah I know but hey my pal has to pull it off his 911 to change air filters). If you plan on some other type of repair you might be able to integrate one of these into the solution, good luck. ++ TIME-SERT Official Threaded inserts for stripped threads, blown out sparkplugs,

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is on my Cayenne so the license plate is not on the bumper but rather the lift gate . It looks like they are round inserts that probably have threads in it .it seems like they pop into the hole and the license screw goes into that?

·
Registered
182 Posts
With only my car as a reference it doesn't look to me like those are inserts but rather part of the original mold of that piece but I'm not sure. I'd still investigate the possibilities of getting behind that painted plastic since you report to have threads into metal with a broken shank. Additionally, on my car these are not fasteners that terminate in metal at all but rather threads in the plastic that must be only snugged lest they lose thread integrity. I can't see an easy out doing anything but creating more problems, sometimes it's the simplest repairs that require the most thought engineering, good luck.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Find the Cayenne parts catalog online and see if there is an anchor part shown in the diagram. They probably are fairly cheap and then you'll both know what you're dealing with and have replacements if you end-up destroying the old ones. I'm guessing that they can be drilled-out and replaced. BTW, I'm curious why there's paint on yours. Maybe due to the hatch being re-painted? Something's odd - those screws don't break easily.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I’m not sure about the paint . I figured that that’s what they look like as though they were put on before the paint at the factory . What color is everyone else’s ? Does anyone have a picture of theirs ? I ran the car fax on the car before I bought it and there were no reported accidents . I would imagine with the repair prices on Porsche’s that it was an accident that required repainting etc it would have been through insurance and reported . I would imagine that the license screws were installed to tightly at one point and seized in there and snapped when being removed ?
Any other thoughts are welcome .

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Does anyone have a picture of theirs
Sorry, I don't have a Cayenne. I expect this type of trim (plastic anchors) would be installed until after the paint booth. I hope someone can verify. As you can see, paint won't hold-up well (not that it matters since the plate covers the hole).
To be honest, I can't tell from your pics if there actually is a broken-off screw shank in there. I see something that looks hollow in the center.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
hi. it is hollow as I tried drilling it out and using an easy out. I couldn't get it to come out though. I found the piece online that i need to replace it. I also did a quick search for Cayennes and looked at the rear hatch to see if others had them painted. Its hard to tell but some look painted and some don't. I do agree though I would think they would put it on after the paint but who knows . Its interesting . Maybe I can discover something else when they come out. the website says it doesnt fit the Cayenne but they look like exactly whats in there so I just ordered 4 of them and I will see what happens .

·
Registered
291 Posts
The plastic one you found looks different than the one in your photo, which appears to be metal. The metal ones are sort of like a pop-rivet, they go through the hole in the sheet metal, then a screw is used to pull the threaded part closer to the flanged part, causing a distortion in the threaded barrel that locks it into the sheet metal.

Something like:

Once installed the screw is removed and you have a threaded hole to use for the license plate mounting screws.

To replace it - you'd have to drill the entire thing out - to the diameter of the hole in the sheet metal, then find a replacement and install it. I'd want to get the remains of the old one out of the rear hatch since it will rattle around and probably rust up. You might be better off removing it and going with the plastic one that you found. Certainly easier to install.

HTH,

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok so I ordered those plastic license plate screw anchors and it’s not the same as what I need . They would be correct if they were larger . They are very small . I’ll keep looking . Soon I may just drill and then re thread the hole .

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Have you ruled-out removing the hatch interior trim panel to get to it from the back-side? I don't know much about a Cayenne so it's just an alternate idea on how to access the old anchors. You might even be able to remove the screws and re-use the anchors.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i have considered it. What I may do is have my Import shop do it. I am still waiting on receiving the hard plates and registration(right now I have temp paper plate on the car) and as soon as I get the permanent plates send it in for an inspection and ask them to take care of it for me lol. sometimes I end up causing more damage than I fix :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts