Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to use my heated seats but am afraid that regular or even sporadic use will adversely affect the leather and vinyl.

So I am curious about the life of the seats after regular use.

Perhaps, I am just being paranoid.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have had heated seats in many cars over the years with leather....MB and Ferrari..never had a problem with heating....and leather was fine if cared for..Leatherique is wonderful for leather/interior car....always worked well...leather stood up to my Chocolate lab for 16 years on various hiking trips..(RIP)

·
Registered
50 Posts
The heated seats are one of the best options on the 987 in my opinion. Nothing better than a nice hot back rub on the way to work. I use mine almost daily and the seats show no extra damage or wear.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Same here - I've got heated seats, and have used the A LOT over the last 2 years w/no issues. I would have to think that Porsche did quite a bit of testing on the the seats & heaters to ensure no additional wear problems.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I'd also guess that sunshine, hot summer days, and lack of leather care in general would do more damage then internal heaters. I set mine on the high setting for a minute or two, then down to the lower setting or off. I don't really need the seats to be hot so much as not freezing in the morning ;)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Living in the Northeast, my seats stay almost constantly heated from late October thru April, although this is mostly in my Acura MDX and not my Cayman. I have done this for many years in all my cars and I have noticed no leather wear problems.

When the Cayman does come out of hibernation, I do use the heated seats throughout the driving season (just not constantly) to help soften the growing aches and pains. I would think my Cayman should be a health care deduction since it does offer so many health benefits. ;)

I use heated seats more than my spouse, her cars show the same leather wear patterns as my cars. In fact my seats usually show less wear since I spend more time maintaining them. A good weekly wipe down with a damp cloth and occasional conditioning will help them stay looking new.

Enjoy the heated seats :beer:

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've got it!!! We'll start a company: Planet Nine Products, LLC. Our first product: heated seats with deep tissue massage.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Isn't the heated seat option also part of the seats that have cooling or am I incorrect? Around here, in Tucson, the thought of a leather or vinyl seat is not appealing, at least in the first 10 minutes of driving or so, or maybe extended driving. Or...am I off base completely?

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
who needs heated seats when you can just where one of these:
Planet-9 fatwa:

Anyone seen driving a Porsche while wearing one of these shall be shot on sight. And if you're a member here, it's cause for an automatic ban. :)

Now, a Snuggie made out of Shamwow fabric, that's a different story...

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Planet-9 fatwa:

Anyone seen driving a Porsche while wearing one of these shall be shot on sight. And if you're a member here, it's cause for an automatic ban. :)

Now, a Snuggie made out of Shamwow fabric, that's a different story...

:hilarious:
But how will you find me if I'm where these LOL

·
Premium Member
2,521 Posts
Isn't the heated seat option also part of the seats that have cooling or am I incorrect? Around here, in Tucson, the thought of a leather or vinyl seat is not appealing, at least in the first 10 minutes of driving or so, or maybe extended driving. Or...am I off base completely?
At least for '08 having heated seats didn't get you seat cooling.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Not on my 07. They are heated, but not cooled.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Heated seats cause no damage whatsoever, had them on my previous car and were perfect. One might ask why would you need heated seats in Sydney Australia. :crazy:

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
I have an '09 with heated and cooled seats (great for the tush in the boiling Texas summers). I know that the '09 was the first year for cooled seats in the Cayman, and I believe that the cooled seat option comes with heated seats but is not automatically included with the heated seat option. When I picked my Cayman up last July from San Antonio it was 105 F and those cooled seats literally saved my b**t! I've added a 50% 3M tint all around since last summer and that should also help.

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac with heated seats used MANY times a day for YEARS with no issues.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
My wife ALWAYS uses the heated seats in my '99 CL and my seats look great even after 11 years and 180,000 miles......:beer:

·
Registered
210 Posts
I've been using my heated seats regularly for the past four years with no problems to the leather.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts