Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never been more excited to join a forum than this one. I’m a long time lurker. After a ton of research, I bought my first Porsche, a 2014 base Cayman in gunmetal. I was tempted to go with the 987 Cayman S, but I want to keep this car for a long time and I thought newer would be a good investment.

I remember the first Porsche I saw as a child - it was in this cheesy Disney 80s movie called Condorman where the good guy has a supercar and the bad guys chase him in black 911s. I was willing to become the bad guy if it meant I got to drive a car that beautiful. It’s surreal getting something you’ve wanted your whole life.

This is a car that pushes you to become a better driver. So, a lot of what I hope to learn here is how to be better.

Example: My tires slip a bit in Boston’s weather as they’re warming up. I obviously need to educate myself on different tire types. Where on earth can I find out what tires are on it and what I need?

Another example: Driving manual isn’t rocket science, but how do you drive it to push the car to it’s limit? What’s the best method for taking off in first gear without harming the clutch? Should I downshift with every small reduction in speed? Where can I learn the best practices?

I look forward to getting to know you all and sharing in the love of this amazing machine!

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I have never been more excited to join a forum than this one. I’m a long time lurker. After a ton of research, I bought my first Porsche, a 2014 base Cayman in gunmetal. I was tempted to go with the 987 Cayman S, but I want to keep this car for a long time and I thought newer would be a good investment.

I remember the first Porsche I saw as a child - it was in this cheesy Disney 80s movie called Condorman where the good guy has a supercar and the bad guys chase him in black 911s. I was willing to become the bad guy if it meant I got to drive a car that beautiful. It’s surreal getting something you’ve wanted your whole life.

This is a car that pushes you to become a better driver. So, a lot of what I hope to learn here is how to be better.

Example: My tires slip a bit in Boston’s weather as they’re warming up. I obviously need to educate myself on different tire types. Where on earth can I find out what tires are on it and what I need?

Another example: Driving manual isn’t rocket science, but how do you drive it to push the car to it’s limit? What’s the best method for taking off in first gear without harming the clutch? Should I downshift with every small reduction in speed? Where can I learn the best practices?

I look forward to getting to know you all and sharing in the love of this amazing machine!
Congrats and welcome to P9. Check the FAQ section of P9, as if has a lot of valuable information that will help answer many questions about these cars. Also use the search tool, as many popular topics, such as winter tires, have been discussed many times.

A quickie on tires - the ones you have now are almost certainly summer performance tires, and they get stiff below 45 degrees F. Manufacturers advise you not to use them below this temperature, and not even to store them in really cold temperatures. If you are going to drive all year in a place that gets real winter, you need winter tires. Porsche specifies tires (N-Spec) for each model and year - you don't have to use them but it's a good starting point. You should also strongly consider a second set of rims so you don't have to mount tires twice a year.

You are going to have fun!

Reactions: Rafiki

·
Registered
245 Posts
Congrats! Always a nice feeling to achieve a dream goal.

·
Registered
12 Posts

Wow, nice choice. You're going to love it.
I am a MA resident also, drive a Boxster 987.1 which is my year round daily driver. Days where the weather is really bad I commute by train. I've been using a really good mobile tire guy who does a lot of high end cars with low profile tires, etc. He'll come right to your driveway and do it. I've shopped hard a few different times and he has beat the best that I can find price wise. His name is Jake, mytireguys.com Check him out if you don't already have a source. Enjoy your new ride...

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good choice, you won't be disappointed! Where in MA are you from? I used to live in N. Quincy and Framingham. I sure don't miss the weather and traffic up there!
Right now I live in Burlington, but we’re in the middle of moving to Jamaica Plains. The thing about Boston is it’s a city that goes to bed early. I love going on long drives around midnight, where you can hit long winding roads with zero traffic.

Welcome to the forum! Which dealer did you buy from? I'm from the same area and curious since I kept on watching after getting my 14 BS.
As I’m sure you know, it’s hard finding the exact Cayman you want, as it’s not the most popular model. I used the Capital One Auto Navigator to find one at Oursmann Jeep in Arlington Virginia.

There’s a long post about private car loans and the surprising higher interest rates vs. going to a dealer to be written. They gave me an utterly reasonable deal with a three year warranty on all the parts. My last car was an Audi TT MK1 I ended up sinking 11k into, and I wanted to pay for peace of mind.

They put this ugly dealer badge on the rear that I plan to remove with my heat gun first chance I get.

A quickie on tires - the ones you have now are almost certainly summer performance tires, and they get stiff below 45 degrees F. Manufacturers advise you not to use them below this temperature, and not even to store them in really cold temperatures. If you are going to drive all year in a place that gets real winter, you need winter tires. Porsche specifies tires (N-Spec) for each model and year - you don't have to use them but it's a good starting point. You should also strongly consider a second set of rims so you don't have to mount tires twice a year.
I drew that conclusion as well, but I need to verify it. I’m thinking about keeping my Audi TT to drive in severe winter conditions, as it’s a recipe for scratching up your car. Doesn’t really stress me for the Audi to get a few bumps and bruises, especially when I repainted it myself and can do touch ups with my paint gun.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Congratulation on your first Porsche. I plan to get mine in a few month.

PS these cars are not an investment as they depreciate very fast. Smart of you to get a used one. As much as I enjoyed driving the Cayman I plan to get a base 911 because it is a better car for long drives. Unfortunately, I am looking for a recent model and the dealer prices for these are not much lower than new cars.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, nice choice. You're going to love it.
I am a MA resident also, drive a Boxster 987.1 which is my year round daily driver. Days where the weather is really bad I commute by train. I've been using a really good mobile tire guy who does a lot of high end cars with low profile tires, etc. He'll come right to your driveway and do it. I've shopped hard a few different times and he has beat the best that I can find price wise. His name is Jake, mytireguys.com Check him out if you don't already have a source. Enjoy your new ride...
Do you have any recommendations for mechanics? I live near Porsche Burlington, but they are the absolute worst at service. Rude and ineffective. My one and only mod to the car is going to be upgrading the stereo to something with CarPlay, so I'd appreciate any advice about good stereo shops as well.

·
Registered
195 Posts

Pics! Enjoy in good health.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts
Congrats. I have a 2014 Boxster S manual so a lot like yours. (I also have a 2018 911 w/manual) Do you have the sport chrono package? If so you will have rev matching also with a 2014 Cayman.

If you are slipping a bit, then you probably have summer tires on. You can read the tire size and manufacturer on the sidewall then go to Tirerack.com and research winter tires. If you plan on driving this car year round in Boston, I sugeest you switch. Even in drive pavement, summer tires will slip when temperatures get low (,40 - 60 degrees).

I have never been good and launching hard in a manual without really hurting the clutch so if I want to accelerate hard, I do it from a rolling start after 1st gear is engaged.

Enjoy the car.....and post some pictures.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Congrats and welcome to the crazy world of Porsche. My first Porsche was an 1973 914, but my first modern one was a 14 Boxster base and I loved it!
I have to tell you - those things are works of art. I love that you open it up and identify and repair every part - no electronics to mess with. I love looking into the rear of the 911 and seeing the intercooler.

Congrats. I have a 2014 Boxster S manual so a lot like yours. (I also have a 2018 911 w/manual) Do you have the sport chrono package? If so you will have rev matching also with a 2014 Cayman.

If you are slipping a bit, then you probably have summer tires on. You can read the tire size and manufacturer on the sidewall then go to Tirerack.com and research winter tires. If you plan on driving this car year round in Boston, I sugeest you switch. Even in drive pavement, summer tires will slip when temperatures get low (,40 - 60 degrees).

I have never been good and launching hard in a manual without really hurting the clutch so if I want to accelerate hard, I do it from a rolling start after 1st gear is engaged.

Enjoy the car.....and post some pictures.
I do not. The sports Chrono is an upgrade I’m considering asking Porsche to install. I had no idea it took care of rev matching too. Seems like a smart upgrade, if for no other reason than to save wear and tear on the clutch.

The tires are slipping a lot already. There’s a sharp 130 degree turn leaving my house, and if I’m punching it into traffic, it slips every time. It’s clear that winter tires need to be my first investment in the car.

·
Registered
56 Posts

Your story sounds a lot like mine. I'd dreamed about owning a Porsche since a very young age until I "finally" pulled the trigger about 2 months ago (i.e. "finally" got permission from the wife). Like you, I picked up a 2014 Base 981, and it's exceeded my expectations in countless ways. At this point, I don't think I'll ever be able to get a "regular" car again. Porsche For Life.

My apologies to the forum for the overly dramatic photo... this is what happens when you have friends that think they're professional photographers because they found the "apply filter" button.

Attachments

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Your story sounds a lot like mine. I'd dreamed about owning a Porsche since a very young age until I "finally" pulled the trigger about 2 months ago (i.e. "finally" got permission from the wife). Like you, I picked up a 2014 Base 981, and it's exceeded my expectations in countless ways. At this point, I don't think I'll ever be able to get a "regular" car again. Porsche For Life.

My apologies to the forum for the overly dramatic photo... this is what happens when you have friends that think they're professional photographers because they found the "apply filter" button.
Apologies?! You look like the freaking BOSS. That is a car that suits you incredibly well. Like you, I doubt I can ever go back to anything else.

I’ll post my own pictures soon. Planet 9 doesn’t play well on mobile phones - but my picture is ridiculous. I’m leaping into the air and clicking my heels together. ;)

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
Congratulations, and welcome. I’m sure you already know that P9 is the best place to have any of your Cayman replanted questions answered.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Welcome from a 2014 981S owner in Watertown. Would like to know your favorite roads of the area. The only fun things I've found are blue hills and west of 95 (lincoln, weston, etc) but they are too populated (too many driveways) to really make much fun.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.