Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to lift/raise the rear wing on the Boxster by using the Cayman's risers?

The geometry could be slightly off, e.g. wing might end up offset slightly forward or backward and would also no longer come down to rest flush with the trunk - both of which would be fine I think.

·
Registered
832 Posts
The real question is; why would you want to lift it? Trained aerodynamic engineers using wind tunnels designed and placed the wing were it is to have optimum effects relative to lift and drag. Do you really think you are going to improve on their design? Or is it just for fun? lol

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
The real question is; why would you want to lift it? Trained aerodynamic engineers using wind tunnels designed and placed the wing were it is to have optimum effects relative to lift and drag. Do you really think you are going to improve on their design? Or is it just for fun? lol
I have to agree, these cars are balanced with regards to air flow and downforce, more downforce at the front will likely be safe, causing the front to get light because there is too much downforce at the rear could be dangerous!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess the operative words are lift/raise, as opposed to modifying the angle [of the wing's attack]. Anyhow, to reiterate I would like it to be lifted/raised, I'm not attempting to change to the downforce.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have to agree, these cars are balanced with regards to air flow and downforce, more downforce at the front will likely be safe, causing the front to get light because there is too much downforce at the rear could be dangerous!
So does this mean a simple (cosmetic) mod like adding a Spyder ducktail to a Boxster could theoretically upset this balance and cause an unsafe condition (at high speeds) unless something is done (either reducing rear spoiler angle/height or disabling the deployment at 75 MPH, or offsetting with more front downforce) to compensate? How much additional force are we talking here, and at what speed would it make a meaningful difference (100 MPH, 140 MPH?)? Is the difference greater than running with the convertible top open vs. closed (which seems like it would cause a much more significant change to a car's aerodynamic profile, but I'm not an engineer)?

·
Registered
503 Posts
I guess the operative words are lift/raise, as opposed to modifying the angle [of the wing's attack]. Anyhow, to reiterate I would like it to be lifted/raised, I'm not attempting to change to the downforce.
Not attempting to but that may still be the result. I say have fun with it, though.

- Patrick

·
Registered
580 Posts
Aero is a funny thing. It is essentially just aesthetics at 50 mph. At 120 mph precision aero matters a lot. i would not monkey with aero on my car but... it is not my car. Go for it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.