Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yeah I searched. Wondering about sufficient down travel and suspension geometry getting funkay with like 1-3" of suspension lift. Anybody have experience with this on a 987?

Not interested in anything too wild just something like the height below, so hopefully the budget for keeping the suspension within reasonable adjustment stays mild to the wallet. I figured some 2" or 3" spacers might do in place of $3000 of coilovers like these guys did.. anybody?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Appreciate that, I read through those. Gave me ideas. I should get that c4.. then do this. The payoff might be better.

But I wont. Basically just looking for an inexpensive way to get it bouncing off some potholes and uneven pavement, the last thing I'm thinking is serious off road use. Like the one guy said in your link, maybe I'll start with stuffing in a bunch of spring wedges and see how the toe/camber/caster reacts. Also like he said, not wanting a rally beast here.. just thought 2-4" of more ground clearance with the fatter tires would suit its commute life. Will be nice not having quite as low a sight line in the sea of SUV too.

Like with the old Golf hatchbacks you could just swap in some Tiguan fronts and Sportwagen rears and you're good to go. I thought somebody may have done that with Cayenne stuff. Maybe that was hoping for too much.

This is just excellent: 6 months to live build thread - Page 3 - 986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

·
Registered
40 Posts
Appreciate that, I read through those. Gave me ideas. I should get that c4.. then do this. The payoff might be better.

But I wont. Basically just looking for an inexpensive way to get it bouncing off some potholes and uneven pavement, the last thing I'm thinking is serious off road use. Like the one guy said in your link, maybe I'll start with stuffing in a bunch of spring wedges and see how the toe/camber/caster reacts. Also like he said, not wanting a rally beast here.. just thought 2-4" of more ground clearance with the fatter tires would suit its commute life. Will be nice not having quite as low a sight line in the sea of SUV too.

Like with the old Golf hatchbacks you could just swap in some Tiguan fronts and Sportwagen rears and you're good to go. I thought somebody may have done that with Cayenne stuff. Maybe that was hoping for too much.

This is just excellent: 6 months to live build thread - Page 3 - 986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners
Damn, that rally cross stuff looks fun!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Turns out the three strut mount bolts are not in an equilateral bolt spacing on the fronts. I had been thinking some ebay Ford or GM spacers slotted out may fit. But yeah no, doesn't look that way.

Another thing that is problematic is the short studs. No extra thread. Bolts would make a DIY solution a lot simpler. Maybe it would possible to hammer out the studs and instead fit bolts...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Turns out the three strut mount bolts are not in an equilateral bolt spacing on the fronts. I had been thinking some ebay Ford or GM spacers slotted out may fit. But yeah no, doesn't look that way.

Another thing that is problematic is the short studs. No extra thread. Bolts would make a DIY solution a lot simpler. Maybe it would possible to hammer out the studs and instead fit bolts...
If the intent was to re-use the existing struts you could make a spacer in the same manner as the larger wheel spacers

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The thought crossed my mind. Maybe modifying some smartcar 3x112mm 25mm wheel spacers would be easier than from scratch.

Another question is how much leverage ratio is there. Would a 25mm spacer result in 50mm of lift or what..

·
Registered
40 Posts
they make spacers for smart cars??? huh, ok.

only one way to find out how much lift it gives you....actually theres a few ways but why not unbolt one of your struts, put in a timber spacer and remeasure your ground clearance. There's also the height to be gained by taller tires.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Its not an ideal solution.. they are preloading the feces out of the spring. May be better to use a spacer between the strut top and chassis strut mount point to maintain ride quality. With Cayenne and similar it is a little easier to do it this way because they use 3 bolts instead of 3 studs. You just sandwich a spacer in there with longer bolts.

Flip side is the sandwich job may cause alignment issues. Which issues are worse I guess is what you ask yourself.... alignment or topping out & harsh spring rate. I'm thinking alignment is the lesser evil to have to deal with.

I pulled the plastic off and had a look, there is not much extra length on those Porsche strut studs to shim with a sandwich spacer plate. Also.. the face where the strut touches the chassis is not flat, it looks concave. If you were to CNC or 3D a spacer, that curve would complicate the making of it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts