Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed my GTS brakes squeal when I gently brake between 0-10 miles. If I apply it hard, it doesn't. I wonder if this is normal for new brakes and takes a few hundred miles to go away.

·
Registered
219 Posts
It was also the case for me. Squealing noise just went away after the first hundred miles. My dealer warned me about that. So I guess, it is something not unusual. Hopefully, yours will be the same.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have about 1400 miles on mine and they still do it when they are cold. If I get them hot, they won't. Maybe I need to bed them in better, but right now I can't because it's so cold around here that the ABS starts kicking in if I try to brake hard. My guess is that the tires start to give up traction because of the cold. I hope this all goes away in a few months when it gets warmer, if not, I'll be querying my dealer.

·
Registered
474 Posts
My 2014 CS does the same - slight squeak with light pressure and slow speed. Now that I read DW's post, maybe it happens only when they are cold. I will have to pay more attention. BTW: 3900 miles on the car.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
They will squeal even with 30,000 miles on the car. Nothing to worry about.

If you want to get rid of the squeal temporarily, then just stomp on the brake hard a few times. Then usually the squeal goes away for that drive. Otherwise, just ignore it.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
I noticed my GTS brakes squeal when I gently brake between 0-10 miles. If I apply it hard, it doesn't. I wonder if this is normal for new brakes and takes a few hundred miles to go away.
Same here, and just crossed 1000 miles today. It is annoying because it happens when I enter or leave the parking garage at work, stopping at the gate. Sounds like I'm driving a rent-a-wreck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Last week while getting my oil changed, my loaner was a 981BS with less than 3,000 miles and it had the brake squeal issue. I told the dealer about it when I returned it and he said it was due to cold brakes. Frankly, if this was happening to my car I would not be happy. It was not only annoying but embarrassing. Sorry for those of you that have to deal with it.

·
Registered
358 Posts
My GTS had the brake squeal for the first 300 miles or so, then it went away, and then it came back, although not as bad as before. It is kind of embarrassing, but I try to ignore it. I have some rattles which are embarrassing too when I have a passenger.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Mine squealed for a while, but now with 6000 mi it does not. Don't recall when it stopped.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I'm not sure about 981 cars, but for 997/987 cars ... the squeals come and go even though the car's on the same set of pads + rotors all along.

My friend's 981 CS car has about 15,000km (call it 9000 miles-ish) and the squeal is there. Just a minor one. Not like the car sounds like a school bus anyway.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I have 32k on my base, and I have never had any squeal under any condition. But maybe this has something to do with it. I wash my car every week (it is a DD), and when I do, I spray the rotors thoroughly, and a lot of dust washes out of them. Maybe some of you are experiencing a lot of dust build up that is contributing to the squealing problem? Just an idea...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts