Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I,ve read on this forum that the new CS has a lighter, softer clutch it seems. Does anyone know if it is possible to retro fit this to my 06 CS and if so what parts would be required? presume a clutch kit for a start?

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Nothing to add here, but if you think our clutch is heavy, NEVER try a stock GT3 or Turbo clutch! I'm a lightweight at 150 lbs but those clutches are heavy enough to push me back into the seat of I'm not sitting all the way back. ;)

·
Registered
806 Posts
I read that too, and it caught my eye. The clutch on my 993 was very heavy. The clutch on my Cayman S is much better, but still feels a bit heavy for my taste.

I drove someone else's Cayman, and their clutch was much lighter than mine. His car was a base Cayman with a 5-speed.

There is considerable variation between individual cars. Some 993 owners reported heavy clutches, some didn't. My Cayman S was heavier than the Cayman I drove. I think I've only seen one report that Gen 2 Cayman's have a lighter clutch, from someone who drove a Gen 1 and Gen 2 back to back. I don't think we have enough information to know if all Gen 2's have lighter clutches than all Gen 1's. Perhaps the Gen 1 he drove was old and had some wear on the clutch, or perhaps it was just individual car variation.

I'd be surprised if you could put the clutch parts from a Gen 2 (clutch, pressure plate, etc) into your Gen 1. An easy first step to check this out would be to download the parts catalog PDF for both cars and check to see if the part numbers are the same.

·
Registered
203 Posts
The first time I test drove a Cayman S, I thought the clutch was fairly heavy. My my brother-in-law teased me that my left leg was probably just weak after 7 years of driving an automatic. Now, having owned the CS as my daily car (only car, actually, who would want to drive anything else?) for 4 months, I don't notice the effort at all.

The original poster has a join date in December, so I'm wondering if he/she just needs to strengthen that left leg.

I did try the clutch in a GT3 on the showroom floor. That was definitely much much much stiffer.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I guess it depends on what you are used to driving. The clutch on my CS feels a lot lighter than the 901, 915 and G50 trannys that I've had in the past. Shifting is a lot smoother as well. And that with the factory short shifter.

No complaints from my side.

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,755 Posts
Im the gen 1 to gen 2 guy. Hello!
I thought my gen 1 was fine and reasonably light and I suppose it was and you don’t notice anything until you change cars and notice that this gen2 is lighter and then you get used to that such that the gen1 now feels heavy! :hilarious: Either way I dont mind either.

I suspect that clutch take up is now slightly more gradual than before. Im pretty sure they have tried to make these new cars a bit more drivable for the non enthusiast.

I also found gen1 base model (non S) clutch feels the same as gen2 S model.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I read that too, and it caught my eye. The clutch on my 993 was very heavy. The clutch on my Cayman S is much better, but still feels a bit heavy for my taste.

I drove someone else's Cayman, and their clutch was much lighter than mine. His car was a base Cayman with a 5-speed.

There is considerable variation between individual cars. Some 993 owners reported heavy clutches, some didn't. My Cayman S was heavier than the Cayman I drove. I think I've only seen one report that Gen 2 Cayman's have a lighter clutch, from someone who drove a Gen 1 and Gen 2 back to back. I don't think we have enough information to know if all Gen 2's have lighter clutches than all Gen 1's. Perhaps the Gen 1 he drove was old and had some wear on the clutch, or perhaps it was just individual car variation.

I'd be surprised if you could put the clutch parts from a Gen 2 (clutch, pressure plate, etc) into your Gen 1. An easy first step to check this out would be to download the parts catalog PDF for both cars and check to see if the part numbers are the same.
The base clutch is lighter than the one in the S. I can tell the difference from my short test drives of both cars.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts