Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is best combination of lightweight, high flow, low noise exhaust systems for Street/ track car that has to attend 95 db events? Seems like there are few options. I have hard time paying over $2000 so lets set that as upper limit .

·
Registered
30 Posts
Grant, I, like you, am after the same thing. I put a supersprint exhaust on my R8 and love it, but the price is rediculous for a cayman(3,200). I'm not paying 10% or even 5% of the car's value for an exhaust system. I think carnewel is the best bet.

That said, there are several dyno graphs on here that refute the claims of certain manufacturers as to what the exhaust actually provides HP wise. What I did was go with catless headers, cargraphic, mated to the factory exhaust. It's great, doesn't drone, and isn't much louder than stock.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Are all of the events 95 dB, or only some?

Unfortunately catless headers may be a problem for a street/track car in CA. But for a track only car (or if you're willing to swap the headers back and clear ECU codes for emissions testing), catless headers on their own give a decent bump in torque without a huge increase in sound. I currently run long tube catless headers and a cat-back exhaust when sound is not an issue (it's loud), and swap back to the stock exhaust (with the catless headers) for Laguna. I passed 92 db at Laguna a few weeks ago.

I would consider nearly all 'power increase' claims to be somewhere between creative marketing and complete BS. I recently added a number of mods to my car (long tube headers, IPD plenum/GT3 throttle body, Softronic tune, cat-back exhaust) and meticulously dyno'd baseline and after each mod. All except the softronic tune produced what I considered meaningful gains but less than typical manufacturer's claims. Softronic tune produced zero change. One of these days I will post these results, as I think the community is lacking in good objective test data for mods.

I did see an interesting idea on what I think was a former Interseries car. It retained the stock headers with cats, but from there back just had fabricated exhaust tubing to the outlet. Simple design, no muffler, almost certainly the lightest weight system. For Gen 2 it's probably even available pre-made since they apparently made them for the series cars. But probably loud.

If you would like more info, PM me and I can share some specifics on what I found.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Your gen2 exhaust already has the secondary cats removed. So it is a good match for catless headers to meet sound. If you can find a cayman R rear section it has larger pipe for more flow. If you are running stock headers w/cats, them I would look at Fabspeed or Remus. The Fabspeed race exhaust may just barely make 95db with stock headers.

Otherwise you may have to build your own, no one makes an exhaust that meets all 3 criteria, weight, power, sound level... can only get 2 out of 3.

I have tried a couple of variations - will see how the lower one works this weekend. Catless headers + fabspeed race was 100+db. Had to add supertrapp plates to get below 100. Switching to larger magnaflow mufflers worked to reduce to 97-98db. The magnaflows blew out most of their packing in one season, so I have repacked them with bristol core spec31 packing, and changed to a 'center bounce' like the OEM exhaust to see if some of the peaks can be lowered.

17119849850_1f6f4b92aa_s.jpg
17113790768_4b28ee1a93_s.jpg

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks All. I was offered a great deal from Fabspeed and went this route. Im not a fan of loud exhaust systems. Even my past race cars have had bigger mufflers than what people typically would see on a dedicated tracck car. Hillclimbs are in rural places but I try to be respectful that in areas where hillclimbs are allowed people live nearby often. Also when pitted its no fun when somone starts a poorly mufflered race car. I do run Laguna Seca occasionally - will be intersting to see if the Fabspeed keeps me under 92 db. Given this is a street car I just wanted little better flow but also wanted to lose weight off the rear. The Fabspeed looks to do both and it looks good on top of that! My 5 year old stock muffler is looking a little tired too so it will be nice to get shiney new muffler in its spot.

·
Vendor
1,023 Posts
I would consider nearly all 'power increase' claims to be somewhere between creative marketing and complete BS. I recently added a number of mods to my car (long tube headers, IPD plenum/GT3 throttle body, Softronic tune, cat-back exhaust) and meticulously dyno'd baseline and after each mod. All except the softronic tune produced what I considered meaningful gains but less than typical manufacturer's claims. Softronic tune produced zero change. One of these days I will post these results, as I think the community is lacking in good objective test data for mods.
Softronic did make a file up for this WGN for a 2007 Cayman. He said he ran a before and after dyno on the car and sent it to me and true it didn't show much of any change. He had run a base, one adding the headers and then one with the plenum and then Softronic by the description listed on the dyno. I received one that had all the other mods and then Softronic on it. This did not make sense as this file had been used for many years and showed gains on many dyno's on this web site and others with these mods and by itself. I asked for the other dynos when the headers had been added first and then the plenum I also asked for the dyno data . I was told he would send it to me and he did not. He also stated he would call and did not. I mentioned I could adjust the file yet no call. I also asked if he ran the base and then the tune for a comparison and no. The AFR's were at 13 and the file was not set to that range either and typically would have artificially gone up from the 82mm TB. A question came up by him that he didn't want to run any O2 sensors as the car doesn't require any emissions. This is not possible as the car does require the front ones for fuel trims etc so Im not aware if they were functional either.

Basically if you don't want to work with your tuner there isn't much that can be done on our side. Should I receive this information I would be more than happy to look at it and perhaps ask for a data log to see what is going on and make a correction to the file.

Best,
Scott

804 Posts
Grant,

We appreciate your business! We also look forward to hearing back from you for a review of our product in a race setting at the hillclimb events, and if you make it to Laguna Seca. Good luck with your racing season, and let us know if there is anything else we can do for you

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have the fabspeed max flow and love it for a street/track car. Not too loud to wake up the neighbors, no drone, but still feels faster than stock and the tone/sound is great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks! Will let you know how it works out! Should have it on by this weekend I make it out to Laguna Seca a couple times a year so will put it to the true sound test. Now saving my pennies for a set of your headers.

Grant,

We appreciate your business! We also look forward to hearing back from you for a review of our product in a race setting at the hillclimb events, and if you make it to Laguna Seca. Good luck with your racing season, and let us know if there is anything else we can do for you

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Have lived with this Exhuast for couple weeks now. I really love this system! It's rare to find after market systems that improve on Porsche design. The tone is very pleasing and while I haven't dyno'd the car mid range to redline feels slightly more powerful. Kudos to fab speed for designing a high performance exhaust system that sounds like a sport muffler the factory might install. I'm very happy!

804 Posts
Grant,

Thank you very much for the review and the kind words! We put a boatload of heart and soul into the research and design of all of our products to reveal the true potential of Porsche's vehicles. I am thrilled to hear we have exceeded your expectations, and hope to continue doing so with anything else you may need.

Have you had a chance to take it on a hillclimb event as of yet?

·
Registered
895 Posts
I need to get my Cayman on the dyno to set my baseline as I'm jonesing for a Maxflo and the thought of getting extra ponies as a bonus would make it an easy decision.

Eddie

1 - 19 of 19 Posts