Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys & gals,
so i might be a little crazy but i'm thinking to do a little "sunday" - well, probably more like "sunday to sunday" drive -
from the northwest corner of oregon all the way down to the southern end of florida!

the vehicle of choice would be my tpc'd 07 cayman S, and i'd do it to finally make a cross country trip happen!

google says it is about 50 hours of straight driving - sounds like a good week's of work, no?

of course i'd like to keep it to the shortest distance possible - 3333 miles ain't exactly a afternoon drive - but also see some nice corners of the country.

so my questions to you all:
-which route variations along the attached route would you take? i'm thinking to hit austin and new orleans for sure...
-are there any porsche dealers or shops along the way that would be worth visiting? (especially in case i have a waterpump or other little annoyance happen while i'm enroute)
-what "experiences" would you recommend along the way? i'm thinkin' texas bbq, etc...
-what segments of road would you particularly recommend (scenic, or great driving roads in general)

please give me your suggestions and i'll build a tentative itinerary around it. if i get excited enough i may just pull the trigger on this and leave in a week!!!

in advance: MANY THANKS for your thoughts on this!

best,
-andre.

OR to FL.jpg

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
Absolutely! That's a fantastic opportunity. I'd make sure to go through Utah and Arizona with all the obvious attractions. Then on to New Orleans. If you hit Pensacola on Tuesday - you can see Blue Angels show for free (I was there a few weeks ago - it was fantastic)

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
Take the route that goes through Tennessee and Georgia but don't go across Nebraska. Go through Kansas. (Both Nebraska and Kansas are boring but Kansas is less so.)

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Andre--when you get to NOLA, in the French Quarter, Le Richelieu Hotel has protected parking for an additional $20 a night. The streets of NOLA,even in the Quarter, is no place for your Cayman. Le Richelieu is a good place with OK prices, and it's usually quiet there. It's also a quick walk to all the stuff both in the Quarter and on Frenchman Street that you'd ever want to do.

Le Richelieu Hotel | French Quarter, New Orleans, Louisiana

While it's only a block away from Irene's--a great restaurant--if you don't get to Irene's early (e.g., 5pm) you probably won't be able to get in without a reservation, even in the middle of the week. Also, if you want to go to Preservation Hall like everyone else does, contact them before hand ([504]522-2841). For a mere additional $15, you can now get a place in the first 2 rows AND (more importantly) you can skip the mile-long line and show up at the last minute,which will save you an hour and a half and get you a better seat.

Have a fun safe trip!

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hi guys,
thanks for the tips.

T-Design, i do think i'll take the more westerly/southerly route, and skim glen canyon national recreation area. i wonder what HWY93 (north-south in nevada) would be like?

gfspencer, heard ya'! not hittin' nebraska... but probably won't touch georgia, either. because i'd really like to see new orleans again...

porsche-prophet: that's an awesome hotel tip! taken!

thanks a bunch, guys.

so here's the somewhat revised current routing, assuming i'll barrel down 93 in nevada...

everyone: more tips welcome! what's the best BBQ joint along the way? best driving road worth making a detour for? great inns or hotels to consider?

if i do this i'll be sending pics along the way!

best,
-andre.
OR to FL 2.jpg

·
Registered
176 Posts
hi guys,
thanks for the tips.

T-Design, i do think i'll take the more westerly/southerly route, and skim glen canyon national recreation area. i wonder what HWY93 (north-south in nevada) would be like?

gfspencer, heard ya'! not hittin' nebraska... but probably won't touch georgia, either. because i'd really like to see new orleans again...

thanks a bunch, guys.

so here's the somewhat revised current routing, assuming i'll barrel down 93 in nevada...

everyone: more tips welcome! what's the best BBQ joint along the way? best driving road worth making a detour for? great inns or hotels to consider?

best,
-andre.
View attachment 48767

I've planned out a trip from LA to Florida. The plan was/is, fly out and buy a car and drive it back. Google and Bing Maps are excellent for research. I capped my driving time each day at 7 hours. So I had plenty of time to stop and see stuff on the way. I wouldn't call it the Clark Griswald level of planning, but it seems like it is. Also check out the Food Channel and they have lists of places they have featured in some of their shows.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok everyone... Thanks for the encouragement and tips! I'm doing this!

Starting a new thread to log some pics along the way...

Gator Tour

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Ok everyone... Thanks for the encouragement and tips! I'm doing this!

Starting a new thread to log some pics along the way...

Gator Tour
aw1--Good luck, Buddy. And remember, assuming your car has zero spare tire like most of us, if it's still under warranty, there is no mileage limit to Porsche's roadside assistance program. (The only potential glitch is under certain circumstances they'd tow you to the nearest dealership even if it's not in the direction you're headed.) Come back in one piece and tell us about it and have fun!

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
If you really want to go for it go all the way to Key West on US 1, in my view the drive is worth it. I can recommend staying at the Casa Marina on the southern side of the key. Key West is sort of an alternate universe kind of place and a lot of fun.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
If you really want to go for it go all the way to Key West on US 1, in my view the drive is worth it. I can recommend staying at the Casa Marina on the southern side of the key. Key West is sort of an alternate universe kind of place and a lot of fun.
Agreed--Key West is fun. If you do get down there, don't worry about hurricane season technically starting June 1st. That part of the Gulf doesn't get hit till August. However, if you're there in August or September, you had better be checking weather reports regularly. The last thing you'd want is to get the car flooded. Key West has historically been relatively lucky, but as someone who has gone through a horrendous Gulf Coast hurricane (Ike, Sept 13, 2008), this is one nightmare you do NOT want to ever have to experience. That said, the meteorologists are predicting a light year. In any case, have a great trip. Where in Oregon are you?

·
Registered
186 Posts
hi guys,
thanks for the tips.

thanks a bunch, guys.

best,
-andre.
View attachment 48767

I would not do this route. While NOLA is cool you'll just end up on I10 which is straight, bumpy, ugly, and boring drive all the way to Florida. I would take 90 through Idaho and cut down through Yellowstone and go diagonally through Wyoming. Then make my way through Tennessee and across the Appalachians and down through Georgia. That drive through Wyoming you get to see every type of terrain there is. It's pretty awesome.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts