Auto Air Conditioning.

i have £2000 to spend (say $4000)

if you were me - what would you get?

ninja

·
Registered
521 Posts
IPD Plenum. ( a few more HP )
Renus muffler. ( a little more with Great sound )
bilstein Pss9's ( better ride then stock! )
Bridstone RE-11's ( best tires for this car for agressive styles of driving )

Check the clasified adds on here. may find some of these used.

With install costs, that should cover that :)

·
Registered
806 Posts
Spend that money on track time, not mods.

·
On Probation
582 Posts
a HPDE is the best first "mod"

·
Registered
662 Posts
I would purchase a free flowing cat back exhaust (use stock headers) and the softronic Plenum with flash. That'll come close to spending your $4000. If you have any left over go with an under drive pulley too.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I don't know how long you have had the car, or your specific goal. Generally, I think it is mistake to spend money on performance mods without a season of track experience with the car. A very high level driver might immediately notice substantial weaknesses, but, unless something is worn out or broken, the car has no such gross weaknesses. I bought a Cayman S a year ago, and have substantial track experience. I find the Cayman a marvelously well balanced car, and quite capable as a casual track car as is, with only routine track prep for pads and fluid. Depending on the track, and, how aggressively driven, it could use better brakes. Because of previous experience with higher hp cars, I also find it lacking in power. Since a complete brake fix and substantially more hp require a big investment, I don't consider it practical unless I were totally committed to the car long term, and I'm not. So my advice, give it a track season before jumping on performance work. You could spend a big chunk of your budget on exhaust and intake work, and have little to show for it. Same for the suspension, as it would take most of your budget to buy and set up a new suspension, and it really doesn't need it. Either a LSD or TBD enhance traction, but, unless in a competitive situation, or, in the wet, the modest power and balance of the car is really handled quite well with the open axle. Drive it and enjoy it a while. Money spent too quickly is often wasted.

·
Captain Cautious
124 Posts
ok guy's i have a

Basalt Black 3.4L 2008 cayman S - totally standard as far as i know

Black Leather interior
PCM System (navigation)
Bose Sound System
PCM- Telephone Module
CDC-4 Six Disc Autochanger
19 inch Carrera Sport Alloy Wheels
Rear Park Assistance
Auto Air Conditioning.

i have £2000 to spend (say $4000)

if you were me - what would you get?

ninja
My favorite "budget" mod so far are sun visor air bag warning cover-up stickers.

:dance:

·
Registered
413 Posts
deeper sump and a motor sport air to oil seperater if your taking the car on track.
we cannot get re11 here in the UK they are not legal tyre

PS2 are the best UK tyre for road use.

Remus
full Softronic kit and desnork

Shortshift kit
H&R anti roll bar
better geo
set of 18" wheels
set of pagid rs42 pads

but that lot is more than 2k

but my car runs a dream with 340BHp and looks ok to.

·
Registered
262 Posts
no mods. put the 2000 quids in a savings account as a rainy day cash fund in case you need to repair the car when out of warranty, tires, brake pads, etc.

·
Super Moderator
3,809 Posts
ok guy's i have a . . . if you were me - what would you get?
You haven't really specified what you are interested in modifying - the looks, the handling, the performance, or what. Your budget is probably sufficient for a major modification in one area, but not all of them. Also, are you planning to do some or all of the labor yourself? (if not, the labor charges will eat up a significant portion of your budget as well)

If you haven't really decided what you want yet, then I would try enjoying the car as is until you decide what it is you want to change - and keep exploring the forums about the possibilities.

My :2cents:

:cheers:

·
Registered
169 Posts
I say spend it on cosmetic to increase the awareness of the Cayman to other non-porsche drivers as I believe as an owner, I still drive what is considered a really rare seen sports car on the road.. and what I want is more sponsors and aftermarket industry manufactured options. :hilarious:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok guy's sorry for being unclear and thanks for the many replys

having read the above i'm now more inclined to modify the looks of the car rather than the handling - want to make the car stand out more as it's pretty rare. i've not tracked it yet and so don't know what if anything needs to be modified in that area. i'm looking at getting some kind of ipod connection as over the last 2 weeks of ownership the only thing that's annoying me is not having an ipod connection and being stuck with "only" 6 cd's to choose from.

i'll be doing as much of the work myself as possible, i'm pretty handy having always had old knackered cars or more recently the elise (Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious - LOTUS)

cheers

ninja

·
Banned
3,496 Posts
Best non performance mods then IMO
1.Gt-3 style front bumper (available now)
2.Gt-2 rear wing (soon to be released from nr auto acessories)
3.Carbon fiber side vents,side skirts and rear diffueser(motor lux)
4.Tint the windows dark
5.Front windshield banner and Side of car Cayman S graphics

Now you are good to go .
when you get another 4k then lower it and get some Champion wheels or on a low budget just get your current wheels painted all black with possibly a colored rim ring -I have seen some of these done lately and it really looks smoking good for very little money.

My advise is to search for as many pictures of modded caymans that you can find and note the ones that you like best .

·
Registered
383 Posts
Exhaust - SOUND completed the driving experience!
Coilovers - takes the car to another level
Rims - can't roll on stockies..hehe

·
Premium Member
1,008 Posts
I don't know how long you have had the car, or your specific goal. Generally, I think it is mistake to spend money on performance mods without a season of track experience with the car. A very high level driver might immediately notice substantial weaknesses, but, unless something is worn out or broken, the car has no such gross weaknesses. I bought a Cayman S a year ago, and have substantial track experience. I find the Cayman a marvelously well balanced car, and quite capable as a casual track car as is, with only routine track prep for pads and fluid. Depending on the track, and, how aggressively driven, it could use better brakes. Because of previous experience with higher hp cars, I also find it lacking in power. Since a complete brake fix and substantially more hp require a big investment, I don't consider it practical unless I were totally committed to the car long term, and I'm not. So my advice, give it a track season before jumping on performance work. You could spend a big chunk of your budget on exhaust and intake work, and have little to show for it. Same for the suspension, as it would take most of your budget to buy and set up a new suspension, and it really doesn't need it. Either a LSD or TBD enhance traction, but, unless in a competitive situation, or, in the wet, the modest power and balance of the car is really handled quite well with the open axle. Drive it and enjoy it a while. Money spent too quickly is often wasted.
+1
I was going to suggest driver's education, and ask what the OP's objective is regarding the mods, but it's been said here more eloquently than I could have done.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts