Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new '09 does not have this option. The car is not going on the track but did I really miss out by not getting it? I don't think you could get the car to drift without it or could you? Will it burn rubber if I decided to dump the clutch at 3500 rpm?

I had a 90's Corvette LT1 motor with a 6 speed before falling in love w/the Cayman at first sight last month. That car had limited slip and would lay a patch of rubber for 200'. The Cayman is just soooo much better in every way and women in their 20's will actually look at you now (not that it matters anyway, ha ha).

I have not tried to do anything stupid with it, other than hit 5500 RPM a few times in its first 799 miles going through the gears. Any thoughts as to quickest way to launch the 6 speed, rubber, drift etc. Total and complete newbie needs advice. Thanks - Joe:helpme:

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
You already know that it does make a difference, but only with spirited driving. So I think it all depends on your driving plans. I doubt if the 20 somethings will notice. The aftermarket awaits you if you ever feel the need.
BTW lots of discusssions on this site about this.:picsplz:

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
My new '09 does not have this option. The car is not going on the track but did I really miss out by not getting it?
No.

I don't think you could get the car to drift without it or could you? Will it burn rubber if I decided to dump the clutch at 3500 rpm?
Does it matter? Are you planning to do either of these things on the street?

(not that it matters anyway, ha ha).
Sounds like you just answered your own questions.

·
Registered
358 Posts
IMHO, if you're driving the car hard enough on the streets that you really need LSD, you're likely risking your own safety (bad enough but at least it is a choice you are making) and everyone around you (much worse since you're giving them no choice in the matter). Plus all you need is to hit one patch of leaked oil, anti-freeze, water, or gravel, etc., and good luck as multiple tires lose traction with the road.

That said, LSD may add some re-sale value if the next buyer tracks, or thinks they might track the car.

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
The stock Porsche LSD (even on the GT3 cars) are not that stout and I've seen reports of rebuilds needed after only a few track days so you're not missing much.

Given the weight distribution and HP of the Cayman, no way will you be burning much rubber unless you fit a TPC Turbo kit on it.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
I only really feel the benefits of LSD during street driving is up twistie mountain roads and shooting out from a corner, in other words showing off ;)

I must admit I do miss sliding out the tail, now with LSD there is too much grip for my liking for street driving. LSD with the new N4 Michelin PS2's is pretty grippy.

I haven't tracked my car, and from what I've read on the forum the factory LSD isn't too aggressive. I can only comment for the street.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
I only really feel the benefits of LSD during street driving is up twistie mountain roads and shooting out from a corner, in other words showing off ;)

I must admit I do miss sliding out the tail, now with LSD there is too much grip for my liking for street driving. LSD with the new N4 Michelin PS2's is pretty grippy.

I haven't tracked my car, and from what I've read on the forum the factory LSD isn't too aggressive. I can only comment for the street.
+1
totally agree
rex

·
Registered
1,767 Posts

Odd, with my ATB I can slide out the tail more and easier than before I installed the ATB.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.