Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
WaT IS up Peep,

Please share your issues with your 718 so everyone knows what is normal and what is not.

I own 2017 White 718 PDK and has 11,000 miles on it.

So far, I love this car and hoping to get my hands on IPE exhaust:dance: later.

Interior
  • DRIVER SIDE SEAT BELT RETRACTOR RATTLE. (sounds like loose plastic part dangling wildly)
  • DRIVER SIDE DOOR RATTLE. (sounds like think wire vibrating against plastic part)
  • WIND NOISE (had same issue with last cayman)
  • VENT SEAT BUTTON GETS STUCK SOMETIMES. (Did not spilled anything)

Exterior

• BREAK SQUEAK WHEN IT COMES TO A STOP.
  • JERKING/LOUD MOVEMENT GEAR CHANGING NOISE WHEN ACCELERATING FROM A SUDDEN STOP. (PDK)
  • GAP BETWEEN WINDSHIELD AND THE WINDSHIELD WIPER BLADE. (had same issue with last cayman)
  • AUTO STOP/START BUTTON ISSUE: CAR ONCE STOPPED IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD AND STRUGGLE TO RESTART BUT IT JUST COULDN'T CRANK UP THE ENGINE.
  • PLASTIC BURNING SMELL FROM THE ENGINE AREA AFTER I STUCK IN THE STOP AND GO TRAFFIC FOR AWHILE. (I heard a car w/ PDK automatically disengages the clutch as the car come to a stop to avoid unnecessary wear and prolong the life of the clutch. However, stop and go condition will prevent the clutch from disengaging...Correct me If I'm wrong)
and one more thing I hear two short beeping noise as soon as I start the engine. Is there something that I need to worry about this noise?

20170323_124501.jpg

·
Read Only
106 Posts
17,600 miles....
No problems.
I get the same jerky gear change from 1st to 2nd when the car isn't warmed up. Had it checked, all good. Used LC about a dozen times in 10,000 miles.
Loving it.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
WaT IS up Peep,

Please share your issues with your 718 so everyone knows what is normal and what is not.

Interior
  • DRIVER SIDE SEAT BELT RETRACTOR RATTLE. (sounds like loose plastic part dangling wildly)
  • DRIVER SIDE DOOR RATTLE. (sounds like think wire vibrating against plastic part)

Exterior

• JERKING/LOUD MOVEMENT GEAR CHANGING NOISE WHEN ACCELERATING FROM A SUDDEN STOP. (PDK)
  • GAP BETWEEN WINDSHIELD AND THE WINDSHIELD WIPER BLADE. (had same issue with last cayman)
  • AUTO STOP/START BUTTON ISSUE: CAR ONCE STOPPED IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD AND STRUGGLE TO RESTART BUT IT JUST COULDN'T CRANK UP THE ENGINE.
  • PLASTIC BURNING SMELL FROM THE ENGINE AREA AFTER I STUCK IN THE STOP AND GO TRAFFIC FOR AWHILE. (I heard a car w/ PDK automatically disengages the clutch as the car come to a stop to avoid unnecessary wear and prolong the life of the clutch. However, stop and go condition will prevent the clutch from disengaging...Correct me If I'm wrong)
and one more thing I hear two short beeping noise as soon as I start the engine. Is there something that I need to worry about this noise?

View attachment 192217
None of the problems you list are normal, and should be addressed by the dealership. I have a 2013 981S, which has a very similar interior and exterior to a 718, and I haven't experienced any of the problems you list.

·
Registered
832 Posts
This is why it is not recommended to buy the first year production of any car that has had a major model change. I'll bet that the majority of the issues you list are normal early production stuff. I'm sure Porsche will fix them all, but it is you who will have to go into and out of the dealer in order to get through the list. Good Luck!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Driver's seat squeaks when moving side to side. 10k miles on 2017 Boxster. Seats are the 18 way Sport Plus. Guess I need to take it to the dealer...maybe I'll wait until winter!

Update: Dealer fixed with lube in May.

·
Registered
107 Posts
On my Boxster, here is a string on the convertible top passenger side) that is broken.

Rippey

·
Registered
115 Posts
PCM touchscreen failed. Dealer replaced under warranty. Cost of part $1,200 plus $200 labor if not in warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
190 Posts
I had squeaky doors (the black metal sliding thing on the bottom of the door hinge). Only driver's side at first, but now the passenger side (rarely used) is slightly squeaking. About to hit 10k miles on my car

Took some WD-40 to it and it went away :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
WaT IS up Peep,

Interior

Exterior

View attachment 192217
Owner of a 2017 Boxster 6sp (with very few options) - 30k KM (18.7k miles) in less than a year.
Here's my list:
- SeatBelt chime would not go out even after buckled in - super annoying - FIXED by dealer.
- "Leak at water pump" - detected and FIXED at the 15k oil change (first scheduled service)
- Gap between windshield and wiper - as mentioned in original post - FIXED by dealer at second service (30k). I don't believe this is permanently fixed. They just took the mechanism apart, "lubed and adjusted" and put it together. I think this needs new arm with stronger spring to push it down. Will see. Works ok now.
- Not necessarily a defect, but annoying still - very easy to put it in reverse instead of 1st. Maybe just my way of shifting, but never had this is issue in 18 years of driving stick. Got a couple of scares in the first weeks of ownership. Just being more careful now.

Overall I think this car has the most "issues in the first year" of any car I bought new (BMW3, Audi A3, VW Golf) - BUT it is still the most fun by far - so it evens out. Happy with it, in general. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
WaT IS up Peep,

Interior
Exterior

View attachment 192217
Hello, did you ever get the short beeping noise fixed? I have a base 2018 cayman. My car has been doing this from day one but when I am accelerating mostly on cold start ups. I will attach a link to a video of my car making the engine noises. Any input is much appreciated. My dealer has not been able to solve the problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
WaT IS up Peep,

Interior
Exterior

View attachment 192217
2018 Cayman 20,000 Km
1) Cold weather vibration in head liner (passenger sunvisor area - flip it down until weather warms)
2) AirCon rad leak; rock impact, not covered under warranty (new rad, installed grill inserts from suntek, very happy with them)

·
Registered
9 Posts
On my 2019 718 B/B, my 14 way seat cushion has stretched and has caused a ripple were I sit. This does not look like a new car should and the local dealer and Porsche calls it normal wear.

·
Registered
250 Posts
On my 2019 718 B/B, my 14 way seat cushion has stretched and has caused a ripple were I sit. This does not look like a new car should and the local dealer and Porsche calls it normal wear.
Leather does stretch so some ripples when there is no-one on the seat are normal. If it stretches enough that there is a crease underneath you then that would, to me, indicate a fault.

·
Registered
333 Posts
2018 Cayman with 18,357 miles driven No issues whatsoever. Just ordered a new Cayman T. Build starts on June 26th and should arrive in the Oct/Nov time frame.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I’ve now got 43k miles and nothing mechanical at all. my XM radio isn’t working. car is basically bullet proof. I have a launch vehicle so an early build

Rippey

1 - 18 of 18 Posts