Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
My GT4 has a Lithium ion battery supplied and fitted by Porsche last year.
I drive the car about once a week or once every 2 weeks. I've used trickle chargers on my previous cars with conventional batteries however I've been advised that the Lithium ion battery holds charge for up to 6 months with no issues. I haven't used a trickle charger on the GT4 as yet and was hoping to get some feedback on using a trickle charger or do you think it's not needed due to the type of battery I have the frequency of use the car gets.
Appreciate any input.

Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
The issue is not self discharge but rather the parasitic load our cars have. Unless the new lithium batteries have a significantly larger capacity than the old lead acid batteries, the the "dead battery" issue is no different. Also, I think the lithium battery will need a different kind of battery maintainer than the one used for lead acid, unless your particular maintainer has that option built in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your responses.
I'm trying to limit the mess with wires running around if I can avoid it

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Thank you for your responses.
I'm trying to limit the mess with wires running around if I can avoid it

My Porsche dealership gave me a CTEK charger for my 981 battery. And that works fine for that chemistry. LiOn batteries are OK to let drain down to low voltages without damage as they don't sulphate like lead acid. A trickle charge should work fine for you for long periods of non use. But our cars do have as mentioned previously a parasitic discharge. I would use a trickle charger after 3 months of non use, bring it to full charge and remove the charger again.

Reactions: seanix
1 - 6 of 6 Posts