Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last race of the season was 2 weeks ago, not that many turned up but thankfully the fast guys who were interested in their championship positions were.

I'm starting to get on top of the track itself and my car is getting better every time too. Now with more camber at the front (-2.4) it was a little oversteered in terms of balance but pretty good nonetheless. The weather was nice and cool, good for engine performance and not overheating the sensitive Cup 2 tires. So times were quick.

I managed to top my class, .35s ahead of a 718S on brand new tires. Whilst not in direct competition, I also would have topped the next class up, ahead of a GT4 by .7s and .9 ahead of a stripped 997.2 C4S PDK. My 981 even went fast enough (by a silly 0.03s but still) to top the class after that and the guy who won the championship there in his 991.2S. Everyone on Cup 2 tires. In the end I was 3.2 seconds off the winning 991 GT3 over a nearly 2 minute lap, and I guesstimate the difference between a GT3 and GT4 to be around that much as power matters a lot here and they have a huge advantage on traction out of the plentiful 2nd gear corners where 981s struggle a bit. So I feel my GTS with its PDK a few tweaks is pretty much matching GT4 performance now. If I could get similar lightweight buckets instead of my heavy heated/vented 18-ways it might surpass it.

The speed trap also showed what a 3.4 can do with barely $2.5K in power upgrades (used race headers, used Cobb + protune and DREAM2 tips)

My GTS trapped 195.7 km/h at the end of the back straight.
Closest 718S trapped 195.7 km/h.
GT4 trapped 196.4 km/h.
Stock 981S trapped 187.8 km/h.

I have footage following the GT4 around but as I kept a safe-ish distance and the laps weren't that great I'll stick to the fastest outright lap I did. The start of the lap wasn't that good, a few tenths off ideal, but the car came alive in the twistier bits later on.

I'm starting to absolutely love this thing. Very close to being my favorite car ever, and every time I take it out on track I enjoy it a little more.

For next season I'm looking at Girodiscs as my OEM discs are done after 4 days on track (less than 2 hrs on the actual track each time and half of that at full speed). My right rear even developed a very nasty crack at the thinnest part at the end of the day. Would fail inspection for sure.

Will also be fitting a (very) lightweight battery next year so I hope to get a bit more time off next year.

Until then, I'll just have to look at some pictures.

· Registered
404 Posts
Nice car, nice photography, nice driving. Congrats! Nasty rotor. I had the same issue recently and had to replace them all-around for the 2nd time this season. In one sense I like the cross-drilled rotors because you can easily check how bad the rotors are wearing, but in another sense I wonder if slotted rotors last longer. Which may be moot since I've never found any.

· Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah slotted should last a lot longer. The holes just weaken the disc a lot, there's plenty of thickness to them still but the (thermal) stresses just tear it apart after a while.

It's actually hard to find slotted rotors as I'm finding out. For the front I'll probably go Girodisk at great expense (30-35 percent extra to get them on this side of the pond) but for the rear something more affordable would be nice. There are some slotted rotors for the rear on the 987 which, apparently, should fit. They are a little wider so with brand new pads it might get tricky. Still I would expect slotted rear rotors to last very long indeed. Even this OEM rotor only cracked at that one point because it's a point where the metal is a lot thinner for some reason, the gap between the two halves of the rotor is extra wide in this spot.

· Banned
2,309 Posts
there are now .. aftermarkets stock discs. .you may want to consider those.. for the price point wise..You dont have to buy Porsche ones no more.. after 3 years. Zimmerman and Sebro and Ate came out with their discs for the 981.

there are also new competing discs by Rotora..We sell both Rotora and Giro..

Just a though

Lemon

· Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
there are now .. aftermarkets stock discs. .you may want to consider those.. for the price point wise..You dont have to buy Porsche ones no more.. after 3 years. Zimmerman and Sebro and Ate came out with their discs for the 981.

there are also new competing discs by Rotora..We sell both Rotora and Giro..

Just a though

Lemon
Yeah, I can find plenty of very cheap discs that fit, but they are all drilled. Zimmerman and Ate are drilled and while Sebro apparently does slotted I cannot find any in Europe. Kinda weird as they're German but there you go. I've never liked drilled discs since I split a front disc clean in half on the Nurburgring on my Volvo race car with little warning a decade ago.

· Registered
710 Posts
Great driving and pictures. I believe more negative camber in the rear will help balance the car and make you faster. You won't have to counter steer so much to keep the car straight. You will ultimately be faster, your pulse rate will drop a few beats, but it may not be quite as much fun as your current set up. Good luck on the brake upgrades.

· Registered
529 Posts
Wow good job... lol I don't think I've heard of anyone cracking a rear rotor before. You must have been flying.

· Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BAIL on the holed...disaster waiting with track usage.........
Thanks to Ebay's rather affordable international shipping service I've managed to acquire some Sebro slotted rotors for the back but buying the Giros from a European importer... then it turns out that GiroDisc have changed their upgrade from 340mm to 350mm ? Only find that out AFTER I had also ordered some Tarrett caliper studs which will now not be the correct length. Sigh.

Many places still list 340mm... can you confirm that it's now only 350mm that's available?

· Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Agate Grey actually - looks a little darker in cloudy weather.

I've always been prone to liking whatever colour my car wasn't, but with Agate I'm really happy. To the point that I'd order any of my next Porsches in this colour, too, if given the chance to spec it from new. It sort of flies under the radar but still looks special up close.

Here's a regular smartphone shot of it:
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Performance car

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.