Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

101 - 120 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
2 cat system that I chose on purpose to see how it holds up long term. :)
Any idea of the emissions difference between 2 or 4 cats? If you get the two cat version, those cats are at the base of the header not in the pipe correct?

Also didn't the Milltek have 4 cats so do you think that is where the extra gain is possibly comming from? I don't remember if the AWE had an extra set of cats as well.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Stickers that identify your car as something it is not is so uncool. :(

Why don't you just put a Carrera GT badge on it?
I put the GT3 badge on :) I think its cool :cool: Its a GT under construction.

·
Registered
476 Posts

While Porsche has clearly defined what a Carrera GT is (by building one), the criteria for "Cayman GT" has been left undefined.

So who is to say it isn't a "Cayman GT"? You have to admit, listing all of the mods Ken has made to his car on a vinyl sticker isn't gonna look as nice as "Cayman GT".;)

·
Registered
525 Posts
While Porsche has clearly defined what a Carrera GT is (by building one), the criteria for "Cayman GT" has been left undefined.

So who is to say it isn't a "Cayman GT"? You have to admit, listing all of the mods Ken has made to his car on a vinyl sticker isn't gonna look as nice as "Cayman GT".;)
I will say,and I didn't realize Kman had that big *** sticker on the side of his car, but it is not nor ever will be a GT anything regardless of what he or anyone else does to the car. Its a factory designation end of story.

Hell I don't even like it when RUF, who simply modifies the car, think that that is enough to pop the Porsche Badge off in favor or their own. :rolleyes:

You ever see the guys who put V12 badges on their 6cylinder Benzes or the tuners who put all the stickers and R badges on their Hondas etc.... get my point?

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Ken I love the Cayman GT vinyl, the exhaust... I am so jealous and happy for you. I will hopefully be able to decide soon if I am still going with a custom set up or Capristo.
:cheers:

·
Administrator
34,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #108

I agree and disagree.

If I were to put GT3 or Carrera GT on my car that would be UNCOOL because those are actual real Porsches that exist, the same would be true if I had a Cayman and put an "S" after it but it really wasn't a Cayman S. Much like some of the Honda folks placing a "Type R" sticker on their car when their car is not really a Type R.

However, when an item is ficticious, or doesn't exist, such as "Cayman GT" or "Cayman RS" or "Cayman CS" then I think it is perfectly fine for people to do it for fun. If I stuck a "Millenium Falcon" decal on the side it might be just as amusing, but probably too many letters.

So in short being a "poser" is UNcool, while being imaginative and fun is COOL.

·
Administrator
34,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Any idea of the emissions difference between 2 or 4 cats? If you get the two cat version, those cats are at the base of the header not in the pipe correct?

Also didn't the Milltek have 4 cats so do you think that is where the extra gain is possibly comming from? I don't remember if the AWE had an extra set of cats as well.

I don't know the emissions differences between the 2 and 4 cat systems you would either have to test both or ask Capristo if they have tested it. Their 4 cat system passes TUV certification in Europe. If you just get 2 cats they are the ones that are part of the headers as shown in the pictures of the install of my car. If you get the 4 cat then there is another can just before the muffler that is a 2nd cat.

Milltek did not have 4 cats, that was an early misconception their 2nd can was another muffler, not a cat. AWE has no cats at all as it is a catback system meaning after the header and AWE doesn't make headers.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Ahhh ok, so those two extra cans on the Milltek are actually resonators. I didn't realize that, thanks. I would think that 2 cats would pass emmission however, I wonder since the manifold to the exhaust outlet is relatively short they (Porsche) needed the two extra to burn off the rest of emmissions. Just thinking to myself.

Anyway, I am curious if there is any HP or even any flow difference between 2 or 4 cats.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Sorry about the off topic excursion, bottom line is you are having fun that is what counts.

Did you ever get the dyno stuff?

·
Registered
231 Posts
I agree and disagree.

If I were to put GT3 or Carrera GT on my car that would be UNCOOL because those are actual real Porsches that exist, the same would be true if I had a Cayman and put an "S" after it but it really wasn't a Cayman S. Much like some of the Honda folks placing a "Type R" sticker on their car when their car is not really a Type R.

However, when an item is ficticious, or doesn't exist, such as "Cayman GT" or "Cayman RS" or "Cayman CS" then I think it is perfectly fine for people to do it for fun. If I stuck a "Millenium Falcon" decal on the side it might be just as amusing, but probably too many letters.

So in short being a "poser" is UNcool, while being imaginative and fun is COOL.
People trying to impose their beliefs on others is what is uncool,put whatever stickers you want on it

·
Registered
569 Posts
I agree!

Hey folks lets get back on topic here. We were talking about an exhaust system not graphics.

Nice looking and performing exhaust. This website keeps finding ways to make me want to spend money and now I just need to find a way to come up with 5 Grand. I may wait a while to see how these hold up after seeing some of the problems other exhausts are having.

·
Administrator
34,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
So ken is it horribly loud inside the cabin?
No not at all, similar sound volume to stock, just different tone until the valves open then it does get louder but never "booming", hard to describe I know. You don't have to open the valves either as they depend upon load, I can "cruise" up to redline without opening them and of course can manually close them if they open and I don't want them to, but honestly I've found it pretty easy to control when they open or don't by using my right foot on the gas pedal and just finding out how much load makes them open or not.

I took it by the Porsche dealership yesterday and they were all impressed and wanted to know who made it, where they could get one, etc. One of the service guys even said he thought a Ferrari had pulled up, I thought that was funny.

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Ken, sounds like you have driven it enough to know if a manual override from the key fob stays in effect until the cut over point is reached again or until the engine is re-started. I assume it is the former as you suspected. Is that the case? Also any sign of this system triggering a CE light? If not is there any reason we should get a 4 cat system assuming it will provide a slightly lower power increase?

·
Administrator
34,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #117 (Edited)
Ken, sounds like you have driven it enough to know if a manual override from the key fob stays in effect until the cut over point is reached again or until the engine is re-started. I assume it is the former as you suspected. Is that the case? Also any sign of this system triggering a CE light? If not is there any reason we should get a 4 cat system assuming it will provide a slightly lower power increase?
Looks like the manual override stays in effect until you either manually close the exhaust or restart the car, once manually closed though it goes back into auto mode. At least this is how it seems to me.

Crossing fingers but no CE lights! :)

If you wanted to be extra protected against CE lights you could get the 4 cat system and relocate the 2nd O2 sensor after the 2nd cat but that will be some additional work to do so.

HAVE YOU CHECKED OUT THIS NEW VIDEO YET??? (HD Video of idling, drive by's and in-car with the Capristo exhaust)
http://www.planet-9.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=121

·
Registered
90 Posts
Ken

Gives a very good idea of the sound. Excellent video.:cheers:

Ken

·
Registered
525 Posts
Thanks, that gives me a lot better idea. Very unique which is cool. I don't like the idle but the rest sounds pretty good. I do like that you can cruise around without the valves open, nice feature. It sounds pretty loud, is milltek that loud?

dyno dyno dyno

101 - 120 of 154 Posts