Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(After reading the Dr's post on the modified 335 V. 987 question, I decided to post this issue... it may be interesting to see the responses and I hope that this is not deemed to be an inappropriate subject here:)

The thought of the street racing issue made me think of a recent accident here in So. CA- a Corvette took off from a signal with one of those superbikes alongside him. The biker slid into a truck at the next signal and was killed. Now the Corvette driver is facing prison time for Manslaughter.

At least here in California, it's best not to get caught up in a street contest because you never know the driving abilities of the other driver nor the mechanical condition of their car- and the upshot is that if they kill themselves or someone else, you can be held equally liable.

My advice to myself (I AM tempted at times) and my kids is to ALWAYS avoid this temptation- it could enp up changing the course of your life.

So: In other parts of the country or other countries, do you face the same potential consequences for a street race gone bad??? Just curious...

Cheers!

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,758 Posts
Now the Corvette driver is facing prison time for Manslaughter.
Cheers!
That is just PLAIN WRONG :mad: . Whatever happened to being responsible for your own actions? :confused: :mad:

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
The Corvette driver entered the bikers intellect & brainwashed him into racing. :crazy:

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Texas, or at least Houston area, similar consequences. Numerous examples in past two years of kids - one driving Dad's 370Z!! - involved in street racing even during the day, killing their passengers, themselves, innocent drivers (not involved in the race). And, yes, involuntary manslaughter or worse.

Most are young, with too much disposable income. If they're working after school, parents should teach them money management. Learn to save, or pay rent.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I believe at one time, if not current, in some areas of Canada you forfeited your car. A hard lesson and one not soon forgotten.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I am in the "just plain wrong" category. And for the sake of all of us Porsche drivers, regardless the model or year, we need to send the message to the general public that we do not participate in that non-sense. If they want to test out their bravado, their rides, they need to take it to a legitimately organized drag race venue. For some time, the local San Diego Police did such a thing at the Qualcomm stadium (home to the SD Chargers). It was a great way to prove themselves and their rides without endangering the public. I do not know if they still do this, but it was a great way to let off steam. And yes it is illegal, and they can loose their car/bike/license, or worse...theirs or someone elses life.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Around here its mostly the same, if you get caught street racing (even with no harm done) you get a fine, may or may not serve a few days in jail, and have your car impounded for a week (longer if not first offense)

If someone got hurt, I cant say for sure, but I heard you are as liable as the other driver and WILL serve time, plus a heavy fine, plus having your car impounded (not forever though)!

·
Would rather be driving
49 Posts
I was curious to see what potential consequences for street racing may be involved in Oregon. It seems there are several. In fact, one need not necessarily be racing anyone, but merely showing off, to get busted. I copied some excerpts of relevant Oregon statutes. The below does not comment as to other consequences, such as the loss of insurance, etc., if convicted. The possible costs are not worth the fun of an illegal race, in my opinion. :(

811.125 Speed racing on highway; penalty.
A person commits the offense of speed racing … if the person drives a vehicle or participates in any manner in any of the following in which a vehicle is involved:
(a) A speed competition or contest.
(b) An acceleration contest.
(c) A test of physical endurance.
(d) An exhibition of speed or acceleration.
(e) The making of a speed record.
(f) A race. …
(g) A drag race. …
The offense described in this section … is a Class A traffic violation.

811.127 Organizing a speed racing event; penalty.
… “speed racing event” means an event that:
Is preplanned and coordinated and involves two or more vehicles;
Includes any of the activities described in ORS 811.125 (1) …
The offense described in this section … is a Class C felony.

811.135 Careless driving; penalty. (1) A person commits the offense of careless driving if the person drives any vehicle … in a manner that endangers or would be likely to endanger any person or property. … If the court determines that the commission of the offense described in this section contributed to the serious physical injury or death of a vulnerable user of a public way, the court shall:
Impose a sentence that requires the person to:
Complete a traffic safety course; and
Perform between 100 and 200 hours of community service …
A fine of up to $12,500, … and
A suspension of driving privileges [for a year] …

811.140 Reckless driving; penalty.

… reckless driving, is a Class A misdemeanor

163.147 Crime category classification for manslaughter in second degree and criminally negligent homicide. … Manslaughter in the second degree … and criminally negligent homicide [are] category 9 [crimes] of the sentencing guidelines grid of the commission if:
The manslaughter or criminally negligent homicide resulted from the operation of a motor vehicle. … Criminally negligent homicide is a Class B felony.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Just a quick comment even though I street race, we always go to a remote area in the desert with no ppl or cars.

·
On Probation
582 Posts
Just a quick comment even though I street race, we always go to a remote area in the desert with no ppl or cars.
i tried to go to remote areas but for the most part if i had been caught for top speed runs i would still be in jail

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
That is just PLAIN WRONG :mad: . Whatever happened to being responsible for your own actions? :confused: :mad:

What world are you in? Responsible for one's own actions? Then there would be noone to sue.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Well, "your own actions" in this case was street racing, and it's equally illegal for both parties. Remember, this example isn't about civil liability, but an action that, if proven, is a felony, and the defendant would be subject to the statutory penalty.

·
Caymaniac
5,658 Posts
(After reading the Dr's post on the modified 335 V. 987 question, I decided to post this issue... it may be interesting to see the responses and I hope that this is not deemed to be an inappropriate subject here:)

The thought of the street racing issue made me think of a recent accident here in So. CA- a Corvette took off from a signal with one of those superbikes alongside him. The biker slid into a truck at the next signal and was killed. Now the Corvette driver is facing prison time for Manslaughter.

At least here in California, it's best not to get caught up in a street contest because you never know the driving abilities of the other driver nor the mechanical condition of their car- and the upshot is that if they kill themselves or someone else, you can be held equally liable.

My advice to myself (I AM tempted at times) and my kids is to ALWAYS avoid this temptation- it could enp up changing the course of your life.

So: In other parts of the country or other countries, do you face the same potential consequences for a street race gone bad??? Just curious...

Cheers!
Hey, as long as the government is jailing and taxing other people, we should be OK with it. Right?

I say Porsche owners should be jailed if someone races them and gets in an accident simply due to the presence of a car that "incites speed". The Porsche driver doesn't have to be aware of the race, nor does he have to actually break any traffic laws. He should have known better before he bought the car. There is no responsible use case for a car capable of tripling the speed limit. It should fall into the same category as "brandishing a deadly weapon".

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I'm pretty sure the same law applies here in FL and I'm glad that's the case. If a person participates in speed contest and someone got hurt/property damage, all parties must be responsible for results.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
What if the Corvette killed someones son or daughter inadvertantly crossing the street, more to the point, what if it had been your son or daughter killed? Whose actions would be at fault? The person crossing the street?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Street racing should be discouraged, period. I would suggest to ban posting any street racing activities on this forum as a way telling people it is not welcome here. What do people in charge of website think?
:thanks:

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Porsche official Gen II Cayman video clearly shows launch control being activated on a public street. When the lights turn green "now there is no turning back" C'mon chill out, what else is there to do in the middle of the desert?

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Street racing should be discouraged, period. I would suggest to ban posting any street racing activities on this forum as a way telling people it is not welcome here. What do people in charge of website think?
:thanks:
You wanted me banned :(

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
50 klms over is considered street racing in the frozen north and they are being [email protected]#&'s about it from what the word on the street is. If its 2-3am and no one is around and your on a major highway, not drunk, or high, just making good time and conditions are good talk to me but f#*@ off, don't impound my car!! and have my insurance rates go thru the roof, aint racing anybody. It'd be nice if they kinda got that, but on the other hand street racing anywhere is stupid, even on isolated parts there's critters that can come outta nowhere and next thing you know there's a fatality, I'll pass. I believe you can also be charged if there is a death involved from racing, was something in the Toronto papers not to long ago about it, think the kid got charged, rightfully so.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts