Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've browsed countless forums and googled so many solutions and yet nearly all have failed me.
Due to COVID, have not been driving as often meaning my 2007 Porsche Cayman S has gone into hibernation. No biggy, I'll use the manual lock to unlock like I'm supposed to. Turn. Nothing. No resistance, no click, just a limp cylinder. Okay problem.
I'm locked out and unable to get into the car.
Check online. Emergency front hood release, sweet. I go to take the tire off. Damn, lock is in the front trunk so I can't take the tire off. Manage to get the well covers off enough to get my hand behind. Studied the pictures and go to grab the wire. Nothing there. I manage to barely get the entire trim off to see the bare metal behind. I see the spot the emergency wire should be but its just a hole and no protruding wire. Panic. I look online for another option. There's a rear emergency cable. I go to find that. Can't get the trim off at all because of how low the rear is. I'm in a really bad spot. The locksmiths near me don't service my area and/or don't know how to open the car. I would like to not have to resort to towing the car when it has the parking brake on and am unable to take it out of gear. Any suggestions at all would be helpful. I've tried so many solutions available online

·
Registered
400 Posts
These cars have electronic frunk/trunk releases, there's no physical cable that I'm aware of.

Even a locksmith would struggle, as their solution to the broken door lock would be feeding a wire through the window to try and pop a door pin (not a option on these cars) or hit the lock button (won't respond with a dead battery).

When the doors are locked, pulling the door handle from the inside will unlock it. But I'm not sure if this manually unlocking the door or if it's electronically triggering to unlock the door. Maybe fish a wire in there and try to pull the door handle. You'll also need to be careful, because with the dead battery, the glass won't slide down an inch to clear the roof.

I would call the dealer and see if they have any suggestions. Even if you towed it to them, they'd be stuck in the same predicament as you. Surely it's not the first time this has happened to someone, they must have a solution.

I really hate Porsche's electronic frunk.
I'm going to go check my lock tumbler right now to make sure it works...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
These cars have electronic frunk/trunk releases, there's no physical cable that I'm aware of.

Even a locksmith would struggle, as their solution to the broken door lock would be feeding a wire through the window to try and pop a door pin (not a option on these cars) or hit the lock button (won't respond with a dead battery).

When the doors are locked, pulling the door handle from the inside will unlock it. But I'm not sure if this manually unlocking the door or if it's electronically triggering to unlock the door. Maybe fish a wire in there and try to pull the door handle. You'll also need to be careful, because with the dead battery, the glass won't slide down an inch to clear the roof.

I would call the dealer and see if they have any suggestions. Even if you towed it to them, they'd be stuck in the same predicament as you. Surely it's not the first time this has happened to someone, they must have a solution.

I really hate Porsche's electronic frunk.
I'm going to go check my lock tumbler right now to make sure it works...
theres a bunch of videos that showed the 987.1 having the wire but I could never find mine. I called my local porsche shop and they said to look for the wire in the front driver well but when I told them it wasn't there. They were out of ideas as well. Of course the one time I need to manually use the door lock it wouldn't work

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
try turn emergency key the opposite what you think, counterclockwise
I've tried turning it in both directions. No resistance or click. There's a slight bump when turned clockwise to where it should normally unlock but nothing happens

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After browsing numerous more forums. I have found out that sometimes. To make it easier to access an emergency wire, they move it from the original spot in the wheel well to the tow hook plug. I am going to check that tonight. Will update you guys on my situation as well as hopefully help someone else if they are in this situation as well.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
you can try to gently bump/hit your fist against the door lock area (near the door handle and lock) after unlocking the door. try a few times and see if you can open the door after that.

this can sometimes work if it is the lock actuator has failed.

·
Registered
177 Posts
So I'm guessing you already did this, but I don't want to assume anything: did you try using the button on the key after either lifting the door handle or turning the key? After the car goes into sleep mode, the key (and/or maybe the door handle) is supposed to wake it up and then the fob will work again.

Obviously this won't help if the battery's completely dead or if the key cylinder is somehow mechanically disconnected, but figured I'd make sure you tried it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, I did. I know the car is supposed to out of sleep mode when turning the key cylinder but it appears the cylinder is completely broken where it wont bring the battery back on. Every day I walk by it, I press the button in hopes of it working magically LOL

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There are some people that manage to find an emergency wire in the rear section of the same year model as mine however all of them are inactive and so I have not been able to get their help

·
Registered
177 Posts
Well, that blows.

Guy in this post had the same problem was able to get in through the window gap to hit the button and lower the window. Most locksmiths will have a tool that can squeeze in the gap and do this sort of thing. Maybe call a guy and have him try that?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah unfortunately I live in a pretty rural area and all the locksmiths near me refused to try to open my car because "man thats a porsche you're gonna need to call someone better equiped" so out of luck on finding help. Fortunately I found this video
Hopefully my arm is skinny enough to do this since I cannot take off my wheel due to the wheel lock being stuck inside the car

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
You can get one from the mfg. but that's why I never put wheel locks on my cars. They don't protect anything and can only cause problems for the owner at some point.

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
Yes they are locks but will stop you and your mechanic, not a theft
Plus they aren’t going to steal your wheels they’ll take the car
It’s not 1970 anymore

Reactions: Proj_356_B

·
Registered
81 Posts
Oh I agree, 100% I didn't buy them for that reason. They won't get my ride because it never leaves my line of sight. If I'm wrong and they ever took it, I want it to be gone forever, I don't want it back after that, not wrecked and returned. Where I grew up car jacking is a story from history, where I live now it's ongoing ABC wide world of sport, if you're dumb enough to roll through the city anyway.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I do not have anything constructive to add.

However, I do want to say that you are much more patient than I am. I would have busted the passenger side window a long, long time ago. A hammer will get you into any car...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wanted to update you all! I tried the video suggestion. My car is lower than stock so I could not get my arm in to undo the nut however. After lifting it up I could barely snake my arms through the wheel and from the side. Took 30 minutes of undoing that nut at like 3mm at a time but managed to pull it off. I felt around and to my surprise. There is in fact a physical wire to open your rear lid. After tugging it softly as it is a thin wire and I did not want to break it. It did not work. So I had to pull on it really hard to the point I thought I had broken it when I head 2 pops. I believe the first pop was a clip I must have broken that was holding the wire. However, the second opened up the trunk allowing me to crawl into the car and unlock it as well as start it. So for future reference anyone who owns the 987.1. There IS a wire that you can pull. It is however a PITA to get to.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts