Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

Back in November, I ordered a new 981 BS from a dealer outside of my area and when it gets to them, they are putting it on a truck and having it shipped to my house. The vessel that it's on is scheduled to arrive in the states on Feb 27, and the car will be at the dealership after a short trip across 1 state. I have never bought a car long-distance like this, and my question to anyone who has knowledge of this sort of thing is, how do I make a down payment to the dealer? When I put down my deposit for the order, they allowed me to use a credit card. But my down payment will be quite considerably higher, and I have read here on P9 that a lot of dealers cap out how much they'll take on a credit card. If I were buying the car in person, naturally I would make the payment by check. But seeing as I'm not picking the car up at the dealership, what are my options for getting them the money? What is normal?

Thanks,
Shifta

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Not quite the same situation, but here is a data point:

No local dealer, went with one 3 hours away in different state, negotiated by email, no visit. They asked for a 3K deposit, either credit card or check once we signed the contract for my custom build. I never bothered to send in the deposit, they didn't seem to care. When I drove down to trade in my old CS (which they had never seen) and pick up the new GTS a couple of months later, they let me pay the 3K on my credit card, and pay the rest by personal check. They released the document I needed to get my title once my check cleared.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
It's been my experience most will accept your personal check. Altho by the time u overnite the check, bank wire doesn't cost much more, depending on which checking account u have. And u can do the wire transfer without leaving the house. It's convenient.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Both down payments were by credit card, $5,000 for the 997 and $2,500 for the 981, I wanted to put more but the salesman said that this dealer can only do $2,500 max on a CC. In both cases, I made them put in writing that it's refundable if I don't like it when I see it in person. Both dealers had no problems with that request.

·
Premium Member
2,593 Posts
Hello everyone,

Back in November, I ordered a new 981 BS from a dealer outside of my area and when it gets to them, they are putting it on a truck and having it shipped to my house. The vessel that it's on is scheduled to arrive in the states on Feb 27, and the car will be at the dealership after a short trip across 1 state. I have never bought a car long-distance like this, and my question to anyone who has knowledge of this sort of thing is, how do I make a down payment to the dealer? When I put down my deposit for the order, they allowed me to use a credit card. But my down payment will be quite considerably higher, and I have read here on P9 that a lot of dealers cap out how much they'll take on a credit card. If I were buying the car in person, naturally I would make the payment by check. But seeing as I'm not picking the car up at the dealership, what are my options for getting them the money? What is normal?

Thanks,
Shifta
Its been my experience that for amounts above what can be placed on CCds (which will/may vary from area to area and Dealer to Dealer), Dealers overall prefer wire transfer direct to their account - CCds cost them $$$. But an overnight of Cert Check is doable. Sometimes setting up wire transfers takes some effort unless already OK'd as part of your normal Chkg account profile.

FYI here is another issue as to signing/exchanging appropriate papers. Dealer will not put car on any truck (except maybe Dealer to Dealer) but not in your case I gather unless and until all the paperwork is done. One can do this advance according to Dealers as they then have your $$$ drawing interest in their account. Aka paperwork Dealer's overnights them to you, you sign and you return the same with some sort of payment to be processed (so Cert Check works OK in this case). Finally Dealer overnights final paperwork back for your records. Not sure how any State?? taxes if applicable are handled. Talk to Dealer of sale and/or talk to your State DoRev if there are $ due as to how. Dealer of Sale collects all fees and taxes and sends them in at least here in PA.

My only issue with buying and having shipped anything with big dollars involved is you can not inspect prior to signing/paying for then unseen goods. I am OCD so you understand.

:cheers:

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts
Why don't you just ask the dealership what form of payment will satisfy them? Seems straight forward to me.

Reactions: Lime-Gold

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to everyone who responded. It looks like a wire transfer of such a large amount isn't the easiest thing to do, but its the preferred method for this dealer. I think a certified check overnight is going to be the outcome here.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Dealers like to have the money wired to them or a certified check since it is as good as cash. Most dealers will accept between $2500 and $6000 on a credit card but there is a credit card processing fee that they incur for this type of transaction and they have the risk that the buyer can dispute a charge and tie up the charge while the dispute is being investigated. I like to put as much deposit/downpayment as possible on a credit card for three reasons: 1. I earn points on my credit card which is like a discount on the new car purchase, 2. I get up to 60 days of float on my money and then pay the credit card off in full when due, 3. If there is a problem with the purchase or I cancel the deal I have some leverage with the credit card company to dispute the charge.

If you do a wire transfer you have no way of retracting your payment. You pay your money, you take your chances. Typically with the wire transfer the monies are at the dealer before you arrive to sign the paperwork or in your case the car is delivered to you.

Like Rob (Lime-Gold) mentioned, I would never buy a car sight unseen and have it delivered to me. I am too particular and must inspect and drive the car before signing on the dotted line and handing over my hard earned money. If for whatever reason you are not buying locally, I would suggest traveling to the long distance dealer and then drive the new car home yourself.

Reactions: Lime-Gold
1 - 10 of 10 Posts