Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all, I'm a new member. My name is Len & I have a couple of questions, hope you guys can help me out. I have a 2006 Cayman S that I bought in Tampa Florida, she has 38K miles & shes about to get the 40K service from Reeves Porsche & then I'm driving her to my second home in Vegas...2,400 miles away, now thats a run, lol.

My questions are:

1. She's a stick, so for the best MPG, what gear should I drive in if my average speed is 70-80mph I plan to drive 12 hrs a day for 3 days. The rear tires will be new. The front about a year old.

2. The front is going to get rocked by bugs etc & I will wipe the front down everytime I fill up, but any suggestions of what I can put on in the front to make it easier to wipe down, I was once told PAM..lol..not sure about that.

3. My tire pressure is usually at 35psi for runs etc, but for the long drive, mostly done in the day, on Conti 2's any suggestions? 35 PSI always seems best for what Im use to in any of the other cars I have or had. But we are talking 12 hrs a day.

4. Off the subject question, I have seen in some photos, the front grey lips on the front spoiler bigger than normal on some Caymans, anyone know where I can get some? Reeves only has the stock kind.

Thank you to anyone that can offer any advice.

Take Care, Len

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
6th or high gear for sure at highway cruising speed. Even then I believe that you'll be only at around 3K RPM at 80 MPH. The tire pressure (35 psi) seems about right also, but be sure your repair kit is in order. This would be the electric 12 VDC air pump and the leak sealer juice. I'd also get a tire hole plugging kit just in case.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I too have an 06 Cayman S and drove last summer from Virginia to Colorado, about 1800 miles. Wonderful trip car, top gear and cruise, I got in the mid 20s for gas mileage.

I do suggest bring along a car cleaning kit (bucket, mitts, car wash in a small container, etc) and micro fiber towels. Each evening I would find a local car wash and clean and wipe down the Black Pearl.

And I stopped about every 100 miles (about every 90 minutes) to get out and stretch. I am in my 60s and I may need that more often than you.

Drive safely. And enjoy yuor new ride. Really study teh owner's manual as well. Ed

·
Registered
465 Posts
With 19" tires, recommended pressures are 32/37 F/R. 1-2 psi above aren't going to hurt but some will tell you Porsche knows best and go with their recommendation.
A clear bra up front will help with rock dings and bugs. Other than that, a lot of wax and staying back from trucks.
at 75, your rpm's will be 3000, with best mileage in the highest gear you have. That's one way the PDK gets such good mileage.
Good luck and stay safe.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I would even say spend 150$ for a carbon fiber looking vynle. It not only covers the whole front spoiler but it also has a strong net that protects anything getting into your radiators. I know, I had a cat step out of no where and I creamed him....It sucked.I never hit anything before but anyway I was doing about 70 and the cat broke the front spoiler but not the net.

Be safe and alert you never know when a situation could arise.

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HI Guys, thank you all for your advice. I spoke to the motor sports guys at Reeves Porsche in Tampa Fl & they recommended painters tape, they said its used on races tracks to prevent scratches etc. Problem is I have a Basalt Black car..lol..the tapes comes in either blue or lime green..lol.

Also, car's going in for the 40K service, new rear tires & whiles its there going to have the rear de-badged (already did it myself, looks nice & clean) exhaust black powder coated, the frame around painted basalt, smoking rear lights (only leaving clear part of light visible), replaceing side markers with clear & painting front spoiler lips / spliters basalt, so hope that adds a nice unique look to the "MistresS" thats the name she's been givin..lol. Keeping 19 inch Carrera wheels, red calipers. Will posted before & after pix once its completed.

Thanks again for the advice.

VegasLen

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Sounds neat. When you get it here, look some of us up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cool, I have lived in Vegas for 13 yrs, just also have a place in Florida, but now going to spend most of my time in Vegas. I live in Summerlin. And you?

VegasLen

·
Registered
149 Posts
To protect from the bugs - if you're willing to do the work up front, clean & prep the car surface very carefully & completely, then apply a sealent like Rejex or better yet Liquid Glass. A sealant will bond with the paint, so surface prep is very important. It should last several months. Bugs should wash right off. Dave

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the advice, I like the sounds of the liquid glass, will go to pep boys & check it out, but only the painters tape will protect against rocks etc, so we'll see.

As for the flat butt..lol..will report on that after i'm done..if I make it to Vegas with any butt left..lol.

I did Vegas in 36 hrs straight with my Dad 2 yrs ago in a Lexus SUV, took turns sleeping etc & knocked it out, no problems, this however, is a different story. Told myself to try & do it in 3 days, 12 hour days. If I do that, I will report on each days drive & how the Mistress (her name) performed.

PS Hope the weather holds up, or I might be the first Porsche to push through a tornado :eek:

Thanks to all.
VegasLen

1 - 14 of 14 Posts