Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife and I recently took a long trip in our 07 Cayman S. I drove from Ormond Beach, FL to Hume, Virginia and back. On the way back we made stops in Ashville to see the Biltmore (definitely worth while), and some business in Greenville, SC. This was the longest trip yet in the Cayman and it was great. We put 1,930 miles averaging 25.1 miles to the gallon at an average speed of 75 mph. The car performed flawlessly. I arrived at destination with no back ache which says a lot for the comfort and support of the Sport seats. My wife’s only complaint was that the seats did not recline all the way so she could sleep during the drive. The Cayman carried luggage for two plus additional odds and ends with no problems. By the time we returned home the car was really dirty. A wash and clay job returned the car to like new condition.
I’m attaching a few photos. It’s funny; as dirty as the car was it really does not show on the photos.
For those interested, the car is not black, but Atlas gray with Terracotta interior. In the 35 months since we took delivery of the Cayman we have logged a total 13,690 miles, 1,930 of those miles in a 5 day period. After this trip I am convinced that I need to do more long trips in the car.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Something I forgot to mention in the original thread: On one of the gas stops in Greenville SC, as I was doing the credit card thing, the screen on the gas pump displayed an icon of a car getting filled up. The Icon was of a Porsche 911. How cool/odd is that? Has anyone else ever seen this?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Something I forgot to mention in the original thread: On one of the gas stops in Greenville SC, as I was doing the credit card thing, the screen on the gas pump displayed an icon of a car getting filled up. The Icon was of a Porsche 911. How cool/odd is that? Has anyone else ever seen this?
Yes, I think all the Chevron stations out here use that graphic... or maybe it is Texaco, I can't remember. Still the filler is on the wrong end :hilarious:

·
Registered
975 Posts
This was the longest trip yet in the Cayman and it was great. We put 1,930 miles averaging 25.1 miles to the gallon at an average speed of 75 mph. The car performed flawlessly. I arrived at destination with no back ache which says a lot for the comfort and support of the Sport seats.
In the 35 months since we took delivery of the Cayman we have logged a total 13,690 miles, 1,930 of those miles in a 5 day period. After this trip I am convinced that I need to do more long trips in the car.
+1 it really is a great car for road trips, and fully agree about the sports seats. They are the only seats I've ever had that let me stand up after 6+ hours of driving and not feel beat up.

Yes, I think all the Chevron stations out here use that graphic... or maybe it is Texaco, I can't remember. Still the filler is on the wrong end :hilarious:
Yeah note to gas station, putting fuel in the air intake may have adverse effects on performance. :helpme:

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I put right at 1000 miles on my CS back in March, driving from Ft. Payne, AL to Fairhope (across the bay from Mobile) and back. Great trip, I drove almost exclusively on two-lane roads and enjoyed it immensely. We packed light (is there any other way in a Cayman?) and didn't lack for anything, really. I'm planning a trip to the N. Georgia mountains soon, with a return trip through the Dragon's Tail and the Cherohala Skyway, two roads built for a Porsche.

I'd also like to take it out West and do a four corners trip like I did in '08, only that one was in the wife's 530i. I like to take a cooler on longer trips so I've got to do some work on that for the Cayman.

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
We will be leaving on a 20 day, 2000 mile trip on Tuesday. Boise Idaho, through Salt Lake City to Las Vegas. Onto Anaheim and then up to Stockton/ Merced/ Tulare Ca and then onto Sacramento. After some time there, we will drive down to Tracy and Fresno and finally back up to Vacaville before heading back to Boise Idaho. Should be an interesting trip.

·
Registered
882 Posts
[
I'd also like to take it out West and do a four corners trip like I did in '08, only that one was in the wife's 530i. I like to take a cooler on longer trips so I've got to do some work on that for the Cayman.[/QUOTE]

Last summer when I drove our Cayman from Virginia to Colorado, about 1400 miles, we too needed a cooler for water and drinks. Walmart had one for $5-6 that was perfect. We could bring 2 bottles of water and 2-3 sodas and replenish it as we traveled. We'd ice it down at teh motel each evening. Also it did not take up much passemger foot room even with the Bose system. Ed

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I have a small cooler that might fit, I'll have to check, but with my wife's purse and book bag there wouldn't be any room left, unless I can re-train her to take less!

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
My wife’s only complaint was that the seats did not recline all the way so she could sleep during the drive.
Porsches aren't for sleeping.

This is not a legitimate complaint.

Plus, it's dangerous to put the seat back too far while driving. The passenger will submarine under the belt in a crash.

I did a similar long drive in my Cayman putting on 2,400 km in 3 days. I drove 12 hours a day with no complaints at all. And I got 700 kilometers to the tank doing all highway driving!

·
Registered
232 Posts
i don't mind taking long trips in the my CS, but i do mind taking a long trip w/ my Glock 19 holstered at 4 o'clock. after a while the bolsters pushing the gun into my back really gets annoying.

·
Registered
411 Posts
i don't mind taking long trips in the my CS, but i do mind taking a long trip w/ my Glock 19 holstered at 4 o'clock. after a while the bolsters pushing the gun into my back really gets annoying.
Then don't do it.:)

·
Registered
380 Posts
My spouse likes trips in our CS. What there not to like - comfortable, auto AC, smooth and quite.

She said that its the first Porsche that we've had that doesn't ride like a"Fiintstone's car".

·
Registered
6 Posts
When I purchased my Cayman last year from a dealership in Ohio (Fred Baker and a great salesperson, Gene Hauck) my wife and I drove from the New Orleans area to Cleveland without stopping. We spent 3 hours at the dealership and turned around and drove straight back to New Orleans (1100 miles) without stopping in the Cayman. My wife commented several times how much nicer the Cayman rode than the 3 series we drove up in.That was after being in a vehicle for over 24 hours.... I love my wife, she let me get a great car and put up with a whirlwind trip to get it. What a great woman!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Playmate cooler fits fine in the front trunk. These cars are really practical for long distance travel. My wife and I have made several 1000+ mile treks in my boxster. Truly a great road car.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I drove my car from los angeles to houston on a four day road trip. I stopped in Phoenix, las cruces, San Antonio, then Houston. It was for a job relocation. Then once I got there I got offered a job back in los Angeles. So i drove back. The cayman was very comfortable. My wife agrees. I put almost 4,000 miles in one month.:( but om glad to be back in Cali.:banana:

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Playmate cooler fits fine in the front trunk. These cars are really practical for long distance travel. My wife and I have made several 1000+ mile treks in my boxster. Truly a great road car.
I have several small coolers that will fit well in either trunk, but having one in the passenger compartment would be more convenient and not require stopping. I'll have to see if I can come up with something that will fit in the passenger footwell along with my wife's feet.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
My girlfriend and I are planning a trip from Memphis, TN to Monterey, CA in August to attend the Concours De Elegance. The trip on I-40 slab, etc. would be a little over 4000+ miles round trip. However I want to plan a scenic route going out there which will add more mileage. (I have lots of .gpx files from motorcycle trips I've made to the Left Coast over the years.) We also plan to head North to the Nappa Valley for a look see as well before coming home.

Nice to know that the Cayman trips well. We'll be making use of all of the storage areas. I think I can put my bag over the engine compartment and still have room left for gf's handbag. She can use the hole up front to stow her stuff. ( =8^0 ) The rear space will be for souveniers and wine...

We have a collapsable cooler which should fit on the passenger floor side but I don't like drinking anything in this car. I reckon I could allow for screw top bottles though. We don't snack, so no issues there.

The car will get kind of dirty and I suspect I will be looking at a new set of tires this fall but we're looking forward to having lots of fun.

One question: Should I change my oil before the trip (will probably have about 2000 miles on the oil) or wait and do the deed somewhere on the trip when its time?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts