Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Administrator
34,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If anyone has questions, ask here or PM me.

Did you want to add any photos to those 15 available photo slots that show up on the Articles page? If so, simply edit the article and upload them like you did that first one. Thanks again for submitting the article!

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
Cool!

K-Man: I see that you try to push articles session forward, so my two cents on the subject: I honestly can't understand what is the reason for different format in articles section? They are difficult to work with - when I tried to do an article - it was not as easy as just posting, especially editing. And I don't think they appear in regular search (I might be wrong). Why articles are not just another sub-forum? My experience may be dictated by my stupidity, but I somehow suspect that people don't do articles that often because of this.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Thank you. I didn't even know it was possible to get at the engine from the top, I thought the only way was from underneath. Now I've seen the process, I think I'll leave it be. But at least now I know its possible.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Did you want to add any photos to those 15 available photo slots that show up on the Articles page? If so, simply edit the article and upload them like you did that first one. Thanks again for submitting the article!
I'll upload a few smaller shots this evening.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I was able to get to it directly in the articles section and got the PDF. However, I'm really only looking to access the emissions sticker for smog today. If I just need to pull up the carpeting, do I need to undo many of the trim pieces? Thanks.

·
Registered
117 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thanks. That link works, yes. It does seem a lot more involved with potential broken and lost pieces than the 987. I'm hoping the DMV doesn't make me do this (since I have a certificate of origin showing 50 state compliance), but I'll be bringing some tools with me just in case.
Unfortunately the DMV inspector did want to see the emissions sticker. He wasn't trying to be a pain but just didn't know how to continue without seeing it. It was around 95F so I decided not to spend time in the DMV parking lot trying to take all the trunk and interior trim apart given that it would be my first time. I'll attempt it this weekend and go in on Monday.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thanks to voyager6's detailed instructions, the carpet came out in about 10 minutes. I was able to get it out by removing the 4 trunk pieces and the decorative trim piece in between the filler caps and strut mounts. I'll likely have to remove the arch and seatbelt trim that's referenced in the document to get the carpet to fit back in properly, but I'll do that after the smog check and DMV inspection.

I have some trim sticks but was generally uncomfortable using them as I didn't have a good feel for what I was really prying against. I found it easiest to use my fingers. I started at the rear of the car and unclipped them going forwards. The trunk pieces all fasten toward the outboard of the car, so everything was one direction. No clips were broken or lost yet, but some of the rubber gaskets/cones did stay on the metal body side. The plastic quality is OK, similar to my 1995 BMW, but would probably break after a few times of doing this. Surprisingly our 2010 Mitsubishi which supposedly has hard/cheap interior trim relatively to the competition has much better plastic fasteners on the back side that came out easily and would probably live through many removals and installs.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks to voyager6's detailed instructions, the carpet came out in about 10 minutes. I was able to get it out by removing the 4 trunk pieces and the decorative trim piece in between the filler caps and strut mounts. I'll likely have to remove the arch and seatbelt trim that's referenced in the document to get the carpet to fit back in properly, but I'll do that after the smog check and DMV inspection.

I have some trim sticks but was generally uncomfortable using them as I didn't have a good feel for what I was really prying against. I found it easiest to use my fingers. I started at the rear of the car and unclipped them going forwards. The trunk pieces all fasten toward the outboard of the car, so everything was one direction. No clips were broken or lost yet, but some of the rubber gaskets/cones did stay on the metal body side. The plastic quality is OK, similar to my 1995 BMW, but would probably break after a few times of doing this. Surprisingly our 2010 Mitsubishi which supposedly has hard/cheap interior trim relatively to the competition has much better plastic fasteners on the back side that came out easily and would probably live through many removals and installs.
Very Good info Harris
Thanks ...I will be trying this is a few days :(
Best regards
Ed

·
Registered
45 Posts
That was a great article, thank you. One question about the air filter, which is what I will need to change. Where under that rear piece of carpet is it and I do not have to remove the engine cover to access it ? Am excited about finding your site. My prior sites only cover the Cayman up to 2013. Glenn

1 - 20 of 46 Posts