Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I took delivery of my new 2010 CS; arctic silver/sand beige, MT with sport shifter, sport seats, xenon lights, SC, PASM, LSD and few other things. :) I have already driven the car for 150 Km. When asked the dealer about the break in period, his reply was go and enjoy the car and not to worry about driving it hard. When checked the manual, no specific break in period was mentioned; however, it is clearly stated not drive the car while cold the first 2000 km! Any feedback is appreciated. As I mentioned, I have already driven the car for 150 Km last night just cruising in the very much empty streets.
:thanks:

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Congrats!

Will state the obvious:

PICS!!!

Will be joining you soon. If 2 months or so is soon,

·
Kestrel Racing
578 Posts
Nice choice of options...

...with sport shifter, sport seats, xenon lights, SC, PASM, LSD and few other things...
Excellent choice in options! It seems like many people are more concerned about things like deviating color on the center console, or colored center caps. Fair enough and to each their own (thank goodness we all get to choose what we want on our cars, and Porsche obliges by giving us about 1.2 million choices), but for my money I'd pick the same options you did!

I know you are busy driving the car, but you need to step out long enough to take a few pictures and post them up for us. Congratulations and enjoy!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Wow. Nice car. Well equipped too. My local dealer it seems doesn't know much about PASM or LSD. Most of the cars that come in don't have either of these options. I notice you did not choose the PDK. Just curious to hear your reasoning against PDK.

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
Congrats. Sounds like a great car. Now all we need to do is see it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Congrats wanderer and enjoy your car. For the break-in, my manual (08 CS) said for 3000km no hard driving, no short distance driving and no "pedal to the metal". I followed the advice.:)

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
I have owned 3 (post 2000) water cooled Porsches and the owners manual in all of them said that for 2000 miles you should not rev the engine over appx. half of redline. This was 4200 rpm on my GT3 but will be less on the Cayman. I followed this advice in all three (except for a few uncontollable burst of enthusiasm) and have never had an engine problem and never burned a drop of oil after the first 1000 miles. I plan on doing the same on my new Cayman.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Cool car. May I suggest two things. First really study the owner's manual. Lots of nifty features to dsicover. And second, when the weather permits, take a driving mini-vacation. You will return home truly smitten. I did and still am smitten. Drive safely. Ed

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
heheh give him a day or two. He is probably having too much fun driving to stop and take pics.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Congrats! the next new car announcement may very well come from me. I had the thought how nice it would be to have an international GTG. Can't wait to see the pics. :picsplz:

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
***THANKS guys; I am going to post pics once I get the chance to take some. The weather here is great this time of the year; just perfect for driving.

Wow. Nice car. Well equipped too. My local dealer it seems doesn't know much about PASM or LSD. Most of the cars that come in don't have either of these options. I notice you did not choose the PDK. Just curious to hear your reasoning against PDK.
*** I did test drive two cars with PDK prior to placing an order; PDK was just great but decided to go with a manual just to have the full experience of owning a sport car (no offense) and I am not disappointed.

Congrats wanderer and enjoy your car. For the break-in, my manual (08 CS) said for 3000km no hard driving, no short distance driving and no "pedal to the metal". I followed the advice.:)
*** You are right; I did check the manual again and again. In fact the manual states very much the above; 3000Km with no hard driving when cold, short distances should be minimized, etc.;

I have owned 3 (post 2000) water cooled Porsches and the owners manual in all of them said that for 2000 miles you should not rev the engine over appx. half of redline. This was 4200 rpm on my GT3 but will be less on the Cayman. I followed this advice in all three (except for a few uncontollable burst of enthusiasm) and have never had an engine problem and never burned a drop of oil after the first 1000 miles. I plan on doing the same on my new Cayman.
*** I could not find anything in the manual about half the redline; it states however high speed should be avoided especially when cold.
THANKS again guys. :thanks:

·
Registered
86 Posts
I could not find anything in the manual about half the redline; it states however high speed should be avoided especially when cold.
THANKS again guys. :thanks:
Thats becuause it's not in the manual :) Just take it easy for the first 500 miles (not above 4k) and then use an extra 1000rpm per 100 miles until you hit 1000 miles and then just drive it how you want. Just make sure it's warm when you boot it!!! :):)

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Porsche may have changed their guidelines. I do not have a Cayman manual yet (Jan. build date) but in my 2004 C2 with x51 and 2008 GT3 they definitely said to limit rpms to 3600 and 4200 rpms respectively for 2000 miles. Never had any engine issues or burned any oil and I drive them very hard.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts