Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
...like everyone else is!

First off, the one thing I can't understand is why 75% of the 2013s I see for sale are black! That's annoying, but not the end of the world.

Anyway, my questions:

0). Speaking of Black...do they show dirt, swirls, chips, etc., as much as you might expect? Is that overblown?

1). I've heard that rear park assist is really useful. It's not a "flashy" option, so most people buying them (and therefore selling them) don't get it. Is it worth holding out for? I think I might actually prefer front and rear, as I have a bit of a skinny/hard to get into garage.

2). To the previous point: Presumably the "auto-retracting" mirrors only do so at power-down, not on command? Because the latter would be amazing, given the whole garage sitch. Anyone see these in action?

3). Otherwise, are there features that are "must haves"? I'm going to get Bose/Premium/Convenience, PDK (I live in Los Angeles) and the 14-way seats (those don't seem too hard to find). The car isn't going to be tracked, so I'm not sure what (if any) of PASM/PTV/SC/Sport Suspension/Super Steering are worth getting. My inclination (as per this: Your guide to choosing the right Boxster or Cayman) is to look for Sport Chrono and possibly sport suspension (although that seems to be hard to find).

Anyway, this is my first post here, and I'm eager to join the 9 club (my dad had 911s when I was growing up -- yes, I spent my youth in those back seats) and even had a 928-S here and there (I think he tried to recapture his youth by buying a 1966 912 recently). I hope this question isn't too far out of left field -- or is stickied someplace -- so go easy on me if it is!

Thanks for your help!

(Oh, and if on the off chance you're selling a 2013 BS in the LA area, I'd love to hear from you!)

·
Registered
625 Posts
...like everyone else is!

First off, the one thing I can't understand is why 75% of the 2013s I see for sale are black! That's annoying, but not the end of the world.

Anyway, my questions:

0). Speaking of Black...do they show dirt, swirls, chips, etc., as much as you might expect? Is that overblown?

1). I've heard that rear park assist is really useful. It's not a "flashy" option, so most people buying them (and therefore selling them) don't get it. Is it worth holding out for? I think I might actually prefer front and rear, as I have a bit of a skinny/hard to get into garage.

2). To the previous point: Presumably the "auto-retracting" mirrors only do so at power-down, not on command? Because the latter would be amazing, given the whole garage sitch. Anyone see these in action?

3). Otherwise, are there features that are "must haves"? I'm going to get Bose/Premium/Convenience, PDK (I live in Los Angeles) and the 14-way seats (those don't seem too hard to find). The car isn't going to be tracked, so I'm not sure what (if any) of PASM/PTV/SC/Sport Suspension/Super Steering are worth getting. My inclination (as per this: Your guide to choosing the right Boxster or Cayman) is to look for Sport Chrono and possibly sport suspension (although that seems to be hard to find).

Anyway, this is my first post here, and I'm eager to join the 9 club (my dad had 911s when I was growing up -- yes, I spent my youth in those back seats) and even had a 928-S here and there (I think he tried to recapture his youth by buying a 1966 912 recently). I hope this question isn't too far out of left field -- or is stickied someplace -- so go easy on me if it is!

Thanks for your help!

(Oh, and if on the off chance you're selling a 2013 BS in the LA area, I'd love to hear from you!)

0) yes. Having a black car requires lots of attention. If you do not care for the paint it will be more likely to do these things. Beautiful when clean (for the 5 minutes it is) and a nightmare to maintain.

1) don't have it, don't need it but some on here like it.

2) don't have an answer
3) you'll find the "must haves" differ quite a bit for folks here. For me must haves are adaptive or sport plus seats and the wheels. If you've not sat in those seats, I rec trying them. I like the pasm but I don't track either.
Lots of good write ups here about the x73 suspension you may want to take a look at.
:dance:
Good luck!

·
Registered
512 Posts
0) I think so because I have Mahogany Metallic and it is almost black and also requires lots of attention. Swirls just show easier.
1) I have front and rear park assist and love it. Maybe I would be okay without them, but having them for almost two years, I depend on them everytime I go in and out of the garage.
2) No experience
3) I agree this will vary by individual. I chose a few non-performance options as those that I had to have to make my first Porsche experience whole for me personally. Others have gone the opposite. Since you are already going S, maybe your must haves can be more non-performance also.

The hunt is probably half the fun, so enjoy!

·
Registered
700 Posts
3) As far as the suspension choices I guess it depends on how "sporty" you want the car to be. You mentioned it will not be tracked, the stock suspension gives a good ride and is still sporty. The X73 sport suspension option lowers the car 20mm so scraping the front can be an issue and the suspension is much firmer. This appears to be the choice for those wanting the full sports car experience but some find the ride too harsh (it just depends on what you are wanting). PASM can give you both worlds so to speak, soft and sporty and only lowers the car by 10mm. Sport chrono and PTV add to the sports car experience. Sport chrono will give you the sports plus button, with PDK it will go to redline before shifting unless you shift manually. The downshifts are aggressive too. Plus the dynamic transmission mounts. PTV give locking diff and some extra programming for the rear brakes to help with corner turn in. The combo of PDK, sport chrono, and PTV gives you upgraded sway bars which again help with cornering.

The options you list sound good (PDK, Bose, premium, 14 way). Just getting those will get you a very nice car with the most important feature for you in CA, the ability to drop the top! The rest of the stuff is just icing on the cake (or maybe sprinkles on the icing). Good luck!

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
0. I have a black 997 and it's a PITA to keep clean. It shows swirls easily if it's not well maintain. I wax it twice a year, my silver SLK, I waxed once every 4 years b/c it never shows swirls. My 997 is my first and last black car. I would never buy one again.

1 and 2, don't have it and not important to me.

3. This is personal preference, when I was looking for my BS last year. My preference were no black, silver, grey, and white. Way too common. Two tone interior. Have to have options were PASM or SS, SC, 14-way seats, Bose, heated seats. I ended up with a BS that had way more options than I wanted with a MSRP of nearly 100K. I rather have more than less and regret later. Be patient, it took me six months to find mine.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
The mirrors can be set to retract when you lock the car, or you can work them any time you want via a button on the door.

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts
Yes, black is more difficult to upkeep. Generally you'll need to wash once a week, or two weeks if you are not in a dusty area. It's also the best color when clean. I keep buying black for last 15 years, and have no problem with it.

There are no must have options on S. If it's an S - you are all set. It's a greatEST car without any options. Seriously. There is a thread here somewhere about minimum options, and there are a lot of P9ers without any options.

That said - rear view camera will be useful, the visibility when backing up is... lets say lacking...

Ventilated seats in LA on a convertible in LA - will be useful.

Sport design steering wheel is 100 times better than the other one.

The rest is up to your preferences.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Speaking of Black...do they show dirt, swirls, chips, etc., as much as you might expect? Is that overblown?
It's pretty much like black is on any vehicle.

I've heard that rear park assist is really useful. It's not a "flashy" option, so most people buying them (and therefore selling them) don't get it. Is it worth holding out for? I think I might actually prefer front and rear, as I have a bit of a skinny/hard to get into garage.
Worth is always highly subjective, regardless of topic. We can't tell you if it's worth it to you or not. Ours doesn't have park assist. It seems like it would be handy to us -- particularly when backing up with the top up. Some don't see it as worthwhile. Best way to answer is to test drive and include backing up as part of your test drive so you can see for yourself.

Otherwise, are there features that are "must haves"?
Completely subjective. Our must have list when shopping was: PDK, 14 or 18 way seats, heated seats, ventilated seats, something other than the base stereo and a black interior. Some may have one or more of those on their must have lists. Others couldn't care less or even specifically don't want such options. You really have to determine what your must haves are versus relying on popularity to determine your must have list.

Our 981 came with options we were not considering but now that we have them we probably would select them in future. The 981 we bought was an S but when shopping we thought we would have been fine with the base. We're glad we went with the S. Other things that we didn't consider when shopping that we would probably put on our list: the 20" Carrera Classics, painted roll hoops, painted side intakes, Sports Chrono and heated steering wheel. We weren't even considering Guards Red as a color until we ran across our car. One of the whites would have been our first pick with black as a close second. Now we're very happy with Guards Red. We also added things like the colored crests on the wheel caps and clear LED side markers. All of these are subjective as well. You can certainly find those that would say that one or more of these would be on their must have list. You would certainly also find those that would say that they were a waste of money.

I'd probably add the sport exhaust and multifunction wheel but my wife wouldn't agree on those.

If you're going to ask it's the why that is really the more important question so you can determine the relevance to your own preferences. We were looking for not only a sports car but a luxury car which is why we picked some of the above options. Someone looking to specifically track and/or one who doesn't care for comfort and convenience options would likely use a different approach in selecting. If I was the primary driver it wouldn't have PDK. However, my wife drives in traffic quite often and every time she drove our S2000 she seemed to end up in unusual traffic jams so PDK was placed on the list. Having driven the S2000 top down in both hot and cold (for Houston) weather we knew that we wanted to maximize the number of top down driving days and having both heated and ventilated seats helped in that regard. The heated steering wheel does as well. It doesn't get that cold down here but we still appreciate that feature. A number of the other options are aesthetic and I think it should be apparent why aesthetics are subjective.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
0) overblown. I don't find my black car especially difficult to keep clean...and reasonable care when washing/waxing/polishing keeps swirls to a minimum. However I don't have OCD. ;)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just wanted to chime in here saying:

a). THANK YOU SO MUCH for all your replies. I really appreciate it!

b). I'm still looking. Ugh. It's been a pain. I have Porsche search alerts set up, but there just aren't a ton of used cars out there with what I want.

I think I've decided on:

- 2013 Boxster S (I’d consider a 2014, but probably don’t want to pay a premium)
- Certified (VERY preferable)
- PDK (MUST have)
- Red, white, yellow, silver, or perhaps dark grey (Sadly, I like the Rhodium silver much more than the platinum)
- < 10,000 miles, although I’m negotiable on this
- Bose/PCM/Nav/Premium/14-way seats (must have)
- Front/Rear Park assist (must have)
- Electrically folding mirrors (would prefer, but not strictly necessary)
- Seat Ventilation (essential for black interior, could live without on other color interiors)
- Sport Design steering wheel (negotiable, but strongly preferred)
- PASM (negotiable)

- Will consider Sport Chrono, PTV and sports exhaust, but probably don’t want to pay too much of a premium for these.
- 20" wheels (negotiable)

The big thing is just the park assist. I just think I'll feel so much better knowing I'm not going to scrape everything...maybe not, but I know if I was buying a new car, the $700 or whatever they cost would be a no-brainer.

Anyway, I may post another thread about the best way to search for a car. Right now I'm using: Porsche Boxster Search - Porsche Cars North America, cars.com and Autotrader. The latter is annoying because you can't sort by "more recently posted" so you have to just eyeball things. It's also hard to search for certain features.

I've seen people get crazy deals off of AutoTrader though, apparently. Like this guy: http://www.planet-9.com/porsche-sales-leasing/106722-very-happy-my-2013-981-boxster-s-deal.html

The pricing on these things is infuriating. There was a car that had all the features I want -- literally -- but it was black on black and for sale in Palm Desert. It had 4000k miles and was certified and it went for under $57,000. Other people are selling similar cars for over 63k.

There's a car out there that was a user demo that's an untitled 2014 (but still used, although certified) and has been for sale for literally months, but the dealer won't budge off of $65,000.

Okay, now I'm just rambling...but for those of you that bought used (i have no problem buying sight unseen, even!) how'd you go about filling your option wish list?

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Just get the options I got and I'll be happy. Maybe plus full leather

If you think the used prices are infuriating...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just get the options I got and I'll be happy. Maybe plus full leather

If you think the used prices are infuriating...
Well, they're not so infuriating because they're high, it's that there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to them.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts

Okay, now I'm just rambling...but for those of you that bought used (i have no problem buying sight unseen, even!) how'd you go about filling your option wish list?
You are buying used so you can't expect all your options to match perfectly. I had a list of must have options and a list of not so important options. The more options you want, the higher the price will be, true used or new. I wanted ventilated seats (never had it, so it will not be missed), Sports exhaust (brought an AWE exhaust), and X73 SS (have PASM) but I didn't get it. I'm happy that my BS matches 85% of what I wanted. The must haves were all there, PDK, Sports Chrono, 18 way sports seats, PASM or SS, Aqua blue, two tone interior and Bose system. Options, I didn't care for but appreciate, PTV, PDLS, LED light package, painted vents, and shift knob in aluminium. The original MSRP of my BS is over $97,000 so I got a lot more than I wanted/expected. During my search, I didn't see too many BS with park assist. Park assist will not help with parking blocks and curb rash. The BS is a small car, IMO, it's not needed. I'm also annoyed by all the black cars out there. Dark blue was easy to find but Aqua and sapphire blue were more difficult in the used market, it took me six months to find the right one. When you do find the right one, don't let a few grand stop you from getting it and act fast. I had a budget of $65K, the one I brought listed at $70K, I was able to negotiate down to $65K. Since it matched with most of what I wanted, I was willing to pay more. As soon as I placed my deposit, my SA told me, more than 10 people called and asked about it, many wanted to pay the list but since I've already placed my deposit, it was a little too late for them.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I should have listened to you guys. =p The car that I've been looking at -- that's been on sale since NOVEMBER -- finally sold a week or so ago. Or at least someone put a deposit down on it.

Did anyone here buy the 2014 demo Rhodium Boxster S from Porsche of Chatanooga? It's here (don't know how long this google cache link will last: 2014 Porsche Boxster S Rhodium Silver Metallic | Chattanooga, Tennessee | Porsche of Chattanooga ) It was pretty much the perfect car for me, but they wouldn't really budge on the price. They listed it for $67,900 and would go down to $65,000. I would have bit at around $62,500 or maybe even $63,000. Or well.

Anyway, if I see another car that fits my needs, I certainly won't hesitate this time.

Live and learn!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts