Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to make a decision between a used C6 Vette, Cayman or Cayman S and an M3.

I don't really have any experience with Porsches except for a little test drive in a used 911 and my recent visit to their museum in Germany.

Obviously the used base Caymans are cheaper to get into, but I don't know the options out there to make them faster. The Cayman S' seem more up my ally, but damn, the more I read about the PDK, the more I want one which puts the price point higher than I was looking to spend.

The M3 is the dark horse in the group. I'm just tossing it in there to give me more options.

So what should I look at with the Caymans? Options that I know I will not go without are the automatic tranny, upgraded headlights and heated seats. It's my understanding that the NAV that Porsche used up until recently was pretty bad, so I'm looking at just going with an aftermarket in dash unit like a Kenwood something.

Is there anything else I should take into a consideration? I looked at the recommended threads in regards to this topic, but they weren't very extensive.

Thanks for the help guys.

:cheers:

·
On Probation
582 Posts
what is the car for/how much use/how much coin ya got to spend

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what is the car for/how much use/how much coin ya got to spend
Daily driver to be in service about 18 months to 2 years. Would like to do a few mods like a tune and wheels, but nothing crazy. Looking in the $40k-ish range. The cheaper the better. I could go higher if the right car came along. Haven't heard too much about the reliability of these cars, so I don't know if I should look at the 40,000 mile and up ones or not.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, and the PASM seems like an option I would want, but I don't see too many used ones out there with it.

·
On Probation
582 Posts
have you priced a new base corvette ?

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Welcome.

First of all it sounds like you have done a lot of reading, but not too much test driving. So to narrow it down do some of that with the cars on your list. Most of the time a single test drive can at least point you down the right track.

Don't start picking out options just because they "sound" good, test drive a few cars with/without them and you might be surprised at what you find.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome.

First of all it sounds like you have done a lot of reading, but not too much test driving. So to narrow it down do some of that with the cars on your list. Most of the time a single test drive can at least point you down the right track.

Don't start picking out options just because they "sound" good, test drive a few cars with/without them and you might be surprised at what you find.
Hitting the gym right now, then headed over to a dealer who has a used version of the base model and S version to drive.

·
On Probation
582 Posts
I had cash in hand for a 3LT Grand Sport coupe, but couldn't get the time of day from the forum dealers. $55k-ish is what I was going to get it for.
that aint bad for the GS but it aint the base. it also says you arent looking to go real fast...GS and 3LZ arent any hi po options just a z06 poser

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
that aint bad for the GS but it aint the base. it also says you arent looking to go real fast...GS and 3LZ arent any hi po options just a z06 poser
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. 0-60 in 4.1 is plenty quick for a DD and will handle 99% of the cars out there. The 3LZ isn't an option package on a Grand Sport.

If you want to get into the whole "ZO6 poser" question, I suggest you go to CorvetteForum.com, as there are plenty of threads over there on it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Buy CPO. Buy an S. There is no substitute. Love my 6 speed. Can't beat Guards red.

·
On Probation
582 Posts
sorry my bad LZ is z,s option code....a bare bones coupe can be bought for low 40,s but they are hard to find

·
Registered
97 Posts
Random advice would be, go for a Gen2 if you can, don't buy an S unless you are a track nut, make sure you buy rear parking sensors and full leather and bluetooth. Avoid the PCM/Nav unless you really need the integration. Go for the heated seats and steering wheel.

If you go for PDK go for Sports Chrono. Avoid the bucket seats. I did not go for the Xenon lights option and have not regretted it as i do mostly City driving and they annoy other drivers.

In the UK the Boxster is about $10k USD cheaper than the Cayman and is considered the better out of the two by some people (ducks and runs). Nothing like having the top down in a sunny day, summer or winter.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Random advice would be, go for a Gen2 if you can, don't buy an S unless you are a track nut, make sure you buy rear parking sensors and full leather and bluetooth. Avoid the PCM/Nav unless you really need the integration. Go for the heated seats and steering wheel.

If you go for PDK go for Sports Chrono. Avoid the bucket seats. I did not go for the Xenon lights option and have not regretted it as i do mostly City driving and they annoy other drivers.

In the UK the Boxster is about $10k USD cheaper than the Cayman and is considered the better out of the two by some people (ducks and runs). Nothing like having the top down in a sunny day, summer or winter.
By "Gen 2," I assume you're referring to 2009+ with the PDK?

Why should I not get the S version? It's my understanding the base model only hit 60 in about 5.5 seconds. :confused: I'm not saying that's not fast, but it's not really any quicker than my current car which I find myself wanting more out of.

As for the Nav option, I've read that up until the latest version of it, that it wasn't exactly a great Nav to have. That's why I've been looking at going with an aftermarket in dash unit like the Kenwood. I haven't seen anything that this is a particularly painful mod to do, but I could have missed that info.

Xenon are required in my search. The local governments here have gone cheap on us and are no longer using the more expensive reflective paint for the roads. When it rains, the lines all but disappear from view at night.

Not really a convertible guy.

Thanks for the help thus far. :cheers:

·
Registered
209 Posts
I just ordered a 2011 Spyder, if I had not went with the Spyder I would have gotten a CS, great looking car and I would take an S over a base Cayman any day, whether I track'd it or not. There are some great deals out there for leftover CS, you just need to look for them. I also would never own any vehicle without a warranty, especially a Porsche. I would also take a Porsche over a Vette, Vette's are everywhere and the GS is nice but not really worth the extra money. It is just a bridge between the base and the Z06, same oiling system and flared fenders, little more HP and that's it. not worth 10K more to me for that. The Vette is a great American sports car, the Porsche is a great worlds sports car, big differents. Look for Motor Trends Best handling car in the Nov. 09 issue (I think). The CS finished first out of 12 cars and yes the mighty ZR1 got spanked.

The thing about Porsche is it may not be the fastest in a straight line and if that is what you are looking for there are a lot of cars that do that very well for less money. But if your looking for a car that does everything very well, then you need to look no farther than a Porsche, it's the complete package...

pcw

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I just ordered a 2011 Spyder, if I had not went with the Spyder I would have gotten a CS, great looking car and I would take an S over a base Cayman any day, whether I track'd it or not. There are some great deals out there for leftover CS, you just need to look for them. I also would never own any vehicle without a warranty, especially a Porsche. I would also take a Porsche over a Vette, Vette's are everywhere and the GS is nice but not really worth the extra money. It is just a bridge between the base and the Z06, same oiling system and flared fenders, little more HP and that's it. not worth 10K more to me for that. The Vette is a great American sports car, the Porsche is a great worlds sports car, big differents. Look for Motor Trends Best handling car in the Nov. 09 issue (I think). The CS finished first out of 12 cars and yes the mighty ZR1 got spanked.

The thing about Porsche is it may not be the fastest in a straight line and if that is what you are looking for there are a lot of cars that do that very well for less money. But if your looking for a car that does everything very well, then you need to look no farther than a Porsche, it's the complete package...

pcw
Just to clarify since it seems to be an ongoing theme here, there are more differences between the base Vette and the Grand Sport than just the ZO6 body panels.

It does not have more horsepower than the base Vette. It does have the ZO6 brakes (fantastic) on it along with the same width tread. It does have a different suspension set up, more similar to the former Z51 suspension package. If you get the automatic, it does have a remapped tranny. If you get the manual, you get the dry sump oil system and differential cooler that is shared with the ZO6 and ZR1s. And finally, the Grand Sport package is only $5,800 more, not $10k; which is a hell of deal when you consider how much it would cost to upgrade to the ZO6 brakes, fenders and nose and install a dry sump system. :)

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
Since you are planning aftermarket sound/nav I suggest going non-Bose. Plenty of threads on it in the electronics forum. Not to say that you can't upgrade the Bose but you'll be replacing the amp also as it runs on the MOST bus. The speakers are normal ones that you can connect aftermarket amps to but may need to rebalance and equalize to get it right. Pity that no one has came up with an adapter to couple aftermarket heads with the MOST bus. The Gen II cars come with PCM 3 for nav which by all accounts is better and supposedly prohibitively expensive to retrofit.

Other than that just test drive them. What you want will become plain. Would have liked to throw the Z06 into the short list but it was $10-15K out of my price range.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Since you are planning aftermarket sound/nav I suggest going non-Bose. Plenty of threads on it in the electronics forum. Not to say that you can't upgrade the Bose but you'll be replacing the amp also as it runs on the MOST bus. The speakers are normal ones that you can connect aftermarket amps to but may need to rebalance and equalize to get it right. Pity that no one has came up with an adapter to couple aftermarket heads with the MOST bus. The Gen II cars come with PCM 3 for nav which by all accounts is better and supposedly prohibitively expensive to retrofit.

Other than that just test drive them. What you want will become plain. Would have liked to throw the Z06 into the short list but it was $10-15K out of my price range.

Thanks man. Yeah, people have the same problem with the Corvettes that have the Bose system. Luckily for them, an adapter exist.

·
Registered
97 Posts
If you are loaded then the choice between S and non-S is moot but....

0-60 times are not what Porsche's are about, its all about going warp factor 1 through a corner which would otherwise cause an accident in another car, M3 and Vette included.

Having done some instructor track training I would probably leave most other car's for dead around the twisties as their drivers cannot exploit their more powerful cars fully for fear of accident, while im grinning away still trying to find the limits of mine! :)

If you are a good track driver though and want to spank a Vette or M3 which are being driven by good drivers around a track then yes you will need a nice spec Cayman S '09. There's loads of guys on here with modded Cayman's who would also destroy most other cars in a casual race, because they are also experienced track drivers.

For me, you really need to be a track nut and a very good driver to be able to get anywhere near the limits of the 2.9, manual or PDK. You need to be honest with yourself and try both with an expert instructor to know for sure sometimes.

Actually if you have $90k there's a really nice Cayman S for sale on the other thread....

·
Registered
202 Posts
Here's my 2 cents plus change for you:

Just came out of a 2004 Z06 into an 09 Cayman S 6spm with the standard suspension. Bone stock, the Z is IMHO a better track car, the CS is better on the street. I enjoy the CS more at (semi-) legal speeds than I did the Z06. I got a sweet deal and bought off the lot, however, and therefore did not get PASM. PASM seems to be the hot ticket for street/track. I think the standard susp does not have the best roll stiffness for the track.

Track mods will be cheaper on the Corvette, if that matters to you. Most folks here seem to go with coil overs, GT3 lower control arms, and brake pads, fluid, and maybe a GT3 master cylinder to make a (non-PASM) CS track monster. Any current vette will still smoke a CS in a straight line and I'd bet you can get the Vettes to corner with the CS if you added coil overs, teflon A arm and sway bushings, MTI sways and some brake upgrades to the Vette. My upgraded C5Z06 didn't suffer next to many Porsches at PCA DEs. OF course, the right rubber is the most important single change, I think. Run flats on Corvettes should be tossed if you want good handling. A C6Z is transformed when you shoe it with PS2s--even the "tail-happiness" is cut down a lot.

The CS is beautiful on the inside and out. It has panache. No one will accuse you of buying a "******* express," if that matters to you. The CS will be more expensive to maintain, probably even under warranty, than a Corvette. Parts cost a lot more, and everything is difficult to get to--like the engine. I had a new clutch put in one of my Vettes under warranty and for no charge. Porsche will hit you for about 3600.00, warranty or not. A Corvette is much easier, I think, for an owner to work on. Vette shop manuals are easy to get, but manuals are essentially unavailable for the P-car. Dealer experience thus far with Porsche has been very good--not always true at a Chevy dealer.

As far as the M3 goes, I think much the same is true of it as the Porsche. Newer M3s are bigger and heavier than a C or CS. I doubt the newer M3s handle as well. I think the SMG tranny on the M3 is not nearly as well regarded as the PDK system. I test drove a 2010 PDK CS and it was great--if it weren't mega-more dollars, I'd probably have gotten it.

All three cars are a lot of fun. I'd test drive them all and see what you like, but I'd assume the German cars will hit you in the pocketbook harder than the Corvette. I've owned three Z06s and all were very reliable, and so far the CS (it's only got 2500 miles on it) has been great as well. It feels very well screwed together.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts