Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This evening, I started the car, and here were the events that followed:

1) Immediately switched over to monitor the tire pressure
2) 3 of 4 tires registered their air pressure within 10 seconds of starting to roll
3) Front right stays at "--" for about 10 minutes
4) After 10 minutes, get "TPC inactive" warning and all four go to "--"
5) 12 minutes later, warning light goes off and all four register proper tire pressures

This situation repeats every time I start the car (can't be sure on the exact timing of each event since this is the only time that I've paid attention to time). It's always the front right that fails to immediately register. I would say bad sensor, but if this was the case, it seems that it would never make a connection. It usually does end up working, but 20 minutes after starting the car and after going through the whole "TPC inactive" warning routine. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
I might ask the dealer to reset the system, but otherwise I wouldn't consider it a big deal since it comes up with the correct pressures within a few miles. I've had worse, red/yellow warnings, go through the set up process and drive 10-15 miles before it reads right. I finally had the tires filled with nitrogen when I got new tires and the occasions of misreads decreased to almost nothing.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Are your TPMS settings correct? E.g. 18" summer tires? If they are not correct, then set them correctly and see if it helps. If they are correct, you could set them to something else, and then reset them to the correct settings. This will cause the TPMS to re-learn your wheels. It will take 15 minutes or so of driving to re-learn, which is normal, but then maybe your problem will go away.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I had a similar problem earlier this year with my 09 when it came up "TMPS inoperable" and it stayed that way .They ordered a new TMPS processor and the day before they were to replace it it started working again, they did replace the processor but they think the problem was a loose ground connection.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have had something similar happen occasionally, often when it's cold. I think the loose wire theory makes sense.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Run through the reset program including driving the car. Let the car for 24 hours,check the tires with a good gauge & set them 2 or 3 PSI above stock pressure. Works for me.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Tpms

Is there any way to disable the TPMS all together? The dealer says it's not possible. My winter wheels don't have the sensors. 2009 CS PDK w/PCM.

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
This happened to me two weeks ago, i.e. the TPMS showed one of the tires as -- instead of a number. It happened after we had stopped for a couple of hours in 40 F weather (unusual for Houston). I was baffled and asked my wife to get out of the car to check out the tire. Seeing it wasn't flat, she kicked it hard with her foot (clever girl). The damn thing instantly started indicating 31 lbs pressure which was normal. It hasn't failed since, but the weather has been a lot warmer lately. Lose TPMS connection or sensor malfunction, who knows?
:crazy:

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
This happened to me two weeks ago, i.e. the TPMS showed one of the tires as -- instead of a number. It happened after we had stopped for a couple of hours in 40 F weather (unusual for Houston). I was baffled and asked my wife to get out of the car to check out the tire. Seeing it wasn't flat, she kicked it hard with her foot (clever girl). The damn thing instantly started indicating 31 lbs pressure which was normal. It hasn't failed since, but the weather has been a lot warmer lately. Lose TPMS connection or sensor malfunction, who knows?
:crazy:
What a gal!, keeper, does maintanence, awesome....;)

I have read here before people thinking the weather was the culprit and it may be, but up here, currently -10C I started my car last week just cuz.......... I needed too :( and double checked my tire pressure via TPMS and it was reading 1-2lbs off from my guage, I guess the weather thing is hit and miss with the sensors..

·
Registered
69 Posts
Had those exact problems of resetting and one tire pressure missing. Told my dealer during the regular service. The resets were recorded when the ECU was scanned. They replaced 4 tire pressure sensors under warranty and it has been perfect since. The readout now appears for all 4 tires within about 10 seconds.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Re: Tpms

Is there any way to disable the TPMS all together? The dealer says it's not possible. My winter wheels don't have the sensors. 2009 CS PDK w/PCM.
Did you have any trouble other than a CEL? Does the car drive fine without the sensors? I was worried that maybe TPMS works with PSM and without it PSM can act funky...I don't need TPMS on my track wheels, so wondering if I can live without them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts