Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everybody,

I'm a new member but a longtime reader. My name is 'Snorkel' and I'm a happy BMW Z4 E89-owner for more than 6 years now. This is my daily ride, next to a MB C-class (family car). The Z is an amazing pleasure with a superb 6-cilinder N/A engine. 10 years old an not a single flaw... But you know how it goes: A car guy is always looking for an upgrade. Although the Z still offers me a bunch of joy and a smile on my face every time the engine starts, a Porsche has been a dream since I was a little kid.

Ever since the Cayman was released, I found it a very appealing car. I always liked the styling but also for me personal: Finally a Porsche that was in a reasonable price range.

Just like the Z, I'm planning to find a Cayman 718 (the base version) between 2-4 years old, low mileage and off course with the correct maintenance by the official Dealer. To add some certainty, Porsche Approved Garanty is a must.

Why a 718?
  • The torque from the turbo would be handy for the kind of roads I take everyday.
  • I like the styling a little bit more (especially the rear, but also the styling of the front (headlights))
Since this forum bulks with enthousiasts and owners, maybe you guys could help me out by giving me some info what I should keep in my mind while searching for a proper car. I'm thinking like: "Which things should definitely be checked?", "Any sounds or behaviour to check to avoid a problem car", "Buying at a dealer or buying it directly from a owner? Pro's and con's?" ...

Anyhow, any bit of info you would like to share is welcome! :)... Or if you would like to ask some questions, please feel free.

I apologize if certain words or sentences aren't correctly spelled, but my native language isn't English.

With kind regards
Snorkel

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Good luck with your search.. Since you say that a Approved Guarantee is a must, I'm guessing that you mean a CPO(Certified Pre Owned) car? If that's the case, you will most likely be looking at buying from a Porsche dealership. If you're speaking about original warranty, the vars are sold with a 4 year warranty, so anything 4 years old would be at the end of warranty period unless there is an extended warranty. The CPO warranty from a dealer is a good start but realize most dealers add about $3K USD to CPO a car. That, plus the fact that dealers generally charge more than private sellers may be a starting point for you.

The good news is that right now, 718 prices for used cars are pretty low. I'm not sure how else to help since you give little information as to what you are looking for. I would suggest using the Porsche website to read through the options available and then narrow it down to what you really want in the car. Good news again is that most options do not add much to resale value. PDK of course costs more and if you go that route I would want to make sure the car has Sport Chrono. There are several seat options, wheel options etc..The website has pretty good functionality for searching dealer inventory on used cars.

I'm sure you will get more help from others but you should think about clarifying what you want tin the car to maximize that help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your answer, @michael818. Yes, indeed: I mean a CPO-car, or also like you said: a car directly from an owner, but with the original warranty or get it extented (for instance for two years) before purchase, after the check-up by a dealer.

The thing I absolutely want to avoid is a car that has been used for track-demo's or any other events. I would rather buy it from someone who carefully looked after it and didn't track it at all, went redline without a proper warming up etc... The advantage in buying from the original owner, is that you can have a talk with him/her, you can find out what kind of person this is and hear the whole story they have to tell. Something like that is not possible when you buy from a dealer. On the other hand, I imagine that the cars sold by the dealer are all well looked after and that they know how they were treated. Or am I wrong?
But the problem is you will never be 100% sure. It took me almost 2 years to find a Z4-owner who fully gave me confidence that he took care of the car like it should be. I also hope to find someone like this for the Cayman and with the possibility to go with him to his dealership to get a check-up and a look on the history of the car.

I've already spent hours on the website and I got myself a nice "brochure" from the local dealer to check everything out. The thing is, I don't have to have a fully specced car. The most important thing is a car in perfect condition. :)

What I do like:
  • Carmine Red, Crayon, GT-silver. Also love the Gentian Blue, but my current car is blue, so this time I'm going for something else.
  • 19 or 20-inch wheels
  • Rather a manual (because the Benz is a 9G-tronic and the Z is a manual), but a PDK is also an option.
And all the rest would be a nice extra. :)

Then again, I really like to hear from you all if their are certain specifications you say that are an absolutely must-have (like you say: seats, steering wheel, upholstery...)

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ow, another thing:

Information about maintenance and the replacement of certain parts at a certain age is also handy. :)

Just to get a proper look at the whole picture... Like I said before: Everything you like to share is welcome. If someone is looking for a Z on our local forum, I also always give my personal experiences to get a better view for a potential owner. :)

I'm a guy who likes to inform himself as good as possible before doing something irrational.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
OP, I wish you a good luck with chasing your perfect 718. That said ...

If 718 is same as 981 (I see no reason not to be, except higher heat in engine bay), count on doing the following regularly

• engine oil, 15,000 km or 12 months, whichever comes sooner
  • tires every 20,000 km rears, if lucky every 40,000 km fronts. This for summer performance tires, might be more km if you switch to all season tires.
  • brake fluid every 24 months regardless of mileage if steering the car, every 6 months if driving the car :) (yes, I meant track use)
  • spark plugs every 60,000 km, strongly ... nay ... strongly suggest you replace ignition coils. I had BMW N55 engine, I know what turbo does, trust me. I will replace them (ignition coils) at 60,000 km even on non-turbo engine, but I track my car and temps are definitely higher than normal use.
  • be prepared to replace brake pads more or less when you replace all 4 tires, that will hugely depend on how you drive, just letting you know that OEM pads are very good and also wear pretty fast when you really use them
  • cabin filters are also 24 months interval, replace as desired.
Finally, I can only strongly suggest that you first try 718 and make sure you enter/exit the car at least 5 times during that test. Also, bring with you Z4 with all things you put into it during your normal daily use and see if you can move all of that and place it in 718. I know many people here use them as daily driver car, I personally could not imagine doing that. Best of luck.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Thank you for your answer, @michael818. Yes, indeed: I mean a CPO-car, or also like you said: a car directly from an owner, but with the original warranty or get it extented (for instance for two years) before purchase, after the check-up by a dealer.

The thing I absolutely want to avoid is a car that has been used for track-demo's or any other events. I would rather buy it from someone who carefully looked after it and didn't track it at all, went redline without a proper warming up etc... The advantage in buying from the original owner, is that you can have a talk with him/her, you can find out what kind of person this is and hear the whole story they have to tell. Something like that is not possible when you buy from a dealer. On the other hand, I imagine that the cars sold by the dealer are all well looked after and that they know how they were treated. Or am I wrong?
But the problem is you will never be 100% sure. It took me almost 2 years to find a Z4-owner who fully gave me confidence that he took care of the car like it should be. I also hope to find someone like this for the Cayman and with the possibility to go with him to his dealership to get a check-up and a look on the history of the car.

I've already spent hours on the website and I got myself a nice "brochure" from the local dealer to check everything out. The thing is, I don't have to have a fully specced car. The most important thing is a car in perfect condition. :)

What I do like:
  • Carmine Red, Crayon, GT-silver. Also love the Gentian Blue, but my current car is blue, so this time I'm going for something else.
  • 19 or 20-inch wheels
  • Rather a manual (because the Benz is a 9G-tronic and the Z is a manual), but a PDK is also an option.
And all the rest would be a nice extra. :)

Then again, I really like to hear from you all if their are certain specifications you say that are an absolutely must-have (like you say: seats, steering wheel, upholstery...)
The colors you are looking for may be difficult to find, particularly in a base car. I believe that Carmine Red and Chalk have always been"special" colors costing an additional $2K or so. Not many people looking for the base car are likely to be spending that much on paint. Again, as far as options, very subjective. I would not but without PASM and upgraded seats since my car is a daily driver. I also like the Sport Chrono but think it may be less of a must have in a MT car. It's all a matter of choice and what you can find in the used market.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Another caution regarding options - about 75% of Porsche sports cars these days are either black, white, silver or grey and the vast majority (90%?) these days are PDK. Finding a manual in a colour different from those four will be a challenge.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for your polite reactions and very useful advises! I appreciate this a lot. All the things you guys said are very helpful and I will definitely keep it in mind during my search.

@CinciOH Good tip in bringing the same options from the Z to the Cayman. :) Like you said, it is my daily ride and some things should definitely be aboard, for instance comfortable seats. That's a thing I'm going to compare during my search. But on the other hand: The Benz is the car for smoothness en comfort and next to that I like the rawness of a sportscar. So the Cayman shouldn't be a full option car. :)

@michael818 Hmmm... indeed! Those colors are the most expensive ones... That will definitely make the search a lot harder for a base car. But I'm a patient man. Hopefully I'll bump into a car that will steal my heart.

@OttawaSteve Yes, that will definitely be a challenge. The good part is I still have my good old Z4 to keep me company till the day I find the perfect P for me. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello everybody,

I'm a new member but a longtime reader. My name is 'Snorkel' and I'm a happy BMW Z4 E89-owner for more than 6 years now. This is my daily ride, next to a MB C-class (family car). The Z is an amazing pleasure with a superb 6-cilinder N/A engine. 10 years old an not a single flaw... But you know how it goes: A car guy is always looking for an upgrade. Although the Z still offers me a bunch of joy and a smile on my face every time the engine starts, a Porsche has been a dream since I was a little kid.

Ever since the Cayman was released, I found it a very appealing car. I always liked the styling but also for me personal: Finally a Porsche that was in a reasonable price range.

Just like the Z, I'm planning to find a Cayman 718 (the base version) between 2-4 years old, low mileage and off course with the correct maintenance by the official Dealer. To add some certainty, Porsche Approved Garanty is a must.

Why a 718?
  • The torque from the turbo would be handy for the kind of roads I take everyday.
  • I like the styling a little bit more (especially the rear, but also the styling of the front (headlights))
Since this forum bulks with enthousiasts and owners, maybe you guys could help me out by giving me some info what I should keep in my mind while searching for a proper car. I'm thinking like: "Which things should definitely be checked?", "Any sounds or behaviour to check to avoid a problem car", "Buying at a dealer or buying it directly from a owner? Pro's and con's?" ...

Anyhow, any bit of info you would like to share is welcome! :)... Or if you would like to ask some questions, please feel free.

I apologize if certain words or sentences aren't correctly spelled, but my native language isn't English.

With kind regards
Snorkel
Are you in the US? Where? I have a 2018 CPO Base Cayman I'm going to sell end of August or earlier.

njmtca (at) gmail.com

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Haha, yes! That'll be the trip of my life! Anyhow, good luck with the sale and thanks for the offer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Corona isn't making things easy, but I'm not in a hurry. I rather take my time to find out all the pro's and cons before buying a car to soon.

I recently had the opportunity to drive a 981 base-version and it gave me great joy! The owner had this car for nearly 6 years and isn't planning on selling it, because it's just that good! :)
His enthousiasm was very pleasant and gave me all the info he had about his car.

Over and over again I read that these 981's seem to pretty bulletproof, and since the early versions came out more than 7 years ago, I think it deserves that status :)

The 718 seems to be in the same class, however I stumbled in some posts of people who mentioned leaky waterpumps and water-cooling related symptoms. Are these common issues or rather not?

If so, are there made any upgrades for certain parts in the mean time?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts