Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My new smoked taillights are here, so I though why not take a look at rear bumper on how to get rid of that fugly plate frame. To my surprise I could not find any threads on 981 rear bumper removal. I'm sure I'll figure it out myself if have to, but may be somebody posted it before?

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One hour on Sunday night and still not one reply??? You guys should be ashamed!

Reactions: flatsixfan

·
Premium Member
1,838 Posts
+1, I've yet to see a rear bumper removal HowTo on the internets. But I do remember reading somewhere about having to remove the wing first, so maybe I did see something about it, but can't find it now I"m looking.

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It looks like there is two bolts in each light wells, wing has to be removed, may be one more something near the fenders.

I'm thinking about removing the plate surround, then see what can be done about holes. If I can't come up with anything - giving it to local shop to fill the holes and repaint shouldn't be that much.

·
Registered
20 Posts

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah! I knew I should've been looking for "backup sensors"! :) Thanks!

·
Registered
186 Posts
My new smoked taillights are here, so I though why not take a look at rear bumper on how to get rid of that fugly plate frame. To my surprise I could not find any threads on 981 rear bumper removal. I'm sure I'll figure it out myself if have to, but may be somebody posted it before?
There was a thread of somebody trying to remove it, ended up being a big mistake. He did more damage than help IIRC. I'll try to find it.

Edit: http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-boxster-modifications/81658-license-surrounds-2.html#post912022

·
Registered
85 Posts
I was browsing old episodes of Wheeler Dealers and they were working on a Boxter. In order to remove the read bumper cover the wing had to be raised and bolts underneath it removed. Sorry that is all I got. They did the same, put in newer rear lights.

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've got full instructions now!

Starting on my project tonight!

Reactions: Lime-Gold

·
Registered
124 Posts

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Right now the plan is to remove the surround and plug the holes with smallest plugs I can find. For the sake of minimalism I decided against replacing surround with flat panel.

If that's not possible (like plastic has depressions in it) - then plan B is to give it to the shop, fill, sand, repaint. But I really hope it won't come to that.

Did the seed I planted in the other thread start to germinate? http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-boxster-modifications/81658-license-surrounds-2.html#post912118

I look forward to seeing what you come up with and maybe a free sample for the idea.;)

Depending on the solution you come up with it may be possible to cut off the ugly license plate bracket with a Fein MultiMaster (oscillating tool) and not have to remove the bumper cover.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Right now the plan is to remove the surround and plug the holes with smallest plugs I can find. For the sake of minimalism I decided against replacing surround with flat panel.

If that's not possible (like plastic has depressions in it) - then plan B is to give it to the shop, fill, sand, repaint. But I really hope it won't come to that.
There was another gentleman in another thread that tried this.

Read his note, and it might save you from going down the same path:
"So today I tackled the project; to remove the license plate surround. After removing the bumper cover (in itself a time consuming process) I proceeded to remove the surround. When I removed the 4 screws which hold the surround in place from the back, I found that there are 4 large holes through the bumper cover (almost 1/2" diameter), 2 smaller holes (that line up honeycomb pieces in the back), plus a narrow slot in the bottom of the surround. Furthermore, the whole surround unit had made rather deep impressions in the bumper which could not be buffed out. Not what I was hoping for... I expected only 4 holes which I had hoped could be filled with bumper plugs which I had ordered. Clearly some serious body work would be required to remove this thing (or a new bumper cover without all these holes for the surround). Ended up putting everything back, it was time consuming to get everything to line up correctly. All a big waste of time!"

Reactions: Mike R.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
It seems like the easiest thing would be to wait for someone to tailgate you and then nail your brakes as hard as you can. :)

Reactions: Lime-Gold

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Damn! I kinda expected it won't be easy, hence the plan B...

There was another gentleman in another thread that tried this.

Read his note, and it might save you from going down the same path:
"So today I tackled the project; to remove the license plate surround. After removing the bumper cover (in itself a time consuming process) I proceeded to remove the surround. When I removed the 4 screws which hold the surround in place from the back, I found that there are 4 large holes through the bumper cover (almost 1/2" diameter), 2 smaller holes (that line up honeycomb pieces in the back), plus a narrow slot in the bottom of the surround. Furthermore, the whole surround unit had made rather deep impressions in the bumper which could not be buffed out. Not what I was hoping for... I expected only 4 holes which I had hoped could be filled with bumper plugs which I had ordered. Clearly some serious body work would be required to remove this thing (or a new bumper cover without all these holes for the surround). Ended up putting everything back, it was time consuming to get everything to line up correctly. All a big waste of time!"

·
Registered
294 Posts
Damn! I kinda expected it won't be easy, hence the plan B...
If plan B involves a respray of the bumper, I'd pass. Not worth it.

·
Registered
564 Posts
i had to replace my license plate bracket.. someone bumped it.. left screw indents.
I figured it out,.. really pretty simple. you'll want another set of hands... you'll need to pull the tail lights (two screws and a well wrapped prying tool to pull it back and out).. remove the spoiler.. easy, few screws and the top comes right off(leave it in the "UP"position)
the bumper is a number of screws and a couple of clips you'll see once you start looking around ( think it was 2-3 each side)... honestly. i winged it, and it was no biggie.. just take you're time and be smart.. only thing that takes a little tweaking is realigning the spoiler it sit properly. wish i had taken notes and pics when it did it... but honestly, I'm just an average joe and was able to do it no issues

1 - 17 of 17 Posts