Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone-

We've just adopted a 2009 Boxster S from outside of California, and the little bugger came with a pretty bad a$$ Borla catback exhaust. It's pretty big and beefy and a little louder than stock but still fairly civilized. Now here's the rub. On the Borla site, Borla notes that this exhaust is for off-road use only. Since I will in the near future have to get this Boxster smogged and inspected, I expect this will be an issue.

So this is what I'm thinking:

If you are in the northern half of California and you want to swap your stock exhaust (or otherwise CARB drama-free exhaust), let me know. We could meet a shop somewhere mutually convenient and split the cost of the swap. I'll also buy you a beer/wine/martini while we wait, and Viola! You drive away with an awesome high-flow Borla exhaust with 4" tips, and I drive off with a proper stock (or not) exhaust that will not make the state inspection people take an unduly close look at my new-to-California Boxster. Please let me know if you're interested. Post here or PM me. Cheers!

Vehicle Car Bumper Automotive exhaust Exhaust system

·
Registered
489 Posts
Emissions will most likely NOT be an issue. On 987.2 cars there are no cats in the mufflers, they are in the headers. So, assuming your Boxster still has original headers (and as far as I know Borla does not make headers for our cars, but previous owner may have upgraded them to another manufacturer's cat-less version), you will pass emissions! So enjoy your exhaust :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm in Santa Rosa, about an hour north of the Golden Gate.

Thanks for the info on the cats. I'm pretty familiar with the 987.1 and just assumed that the set up for the cats was the same. I called a nearby smog shop, and the guy here told me that as long as the headers and cats are still factory then he doesn't care how loud the cars is, said I could even run without a muffler (going to pass on that idea, though).

So my plan is to go get the smog test with the Borla mufflers, and then switch to a stock or close to stock muffler when convenient. I still like the stock sound. I guess I'm getting old. ?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just a follow up. I did indeed pass smog and inspection with the Borla cat back system bolted to factory headers and cats.

Cheers and thanks!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just another follow up on the Borla exhaust... after a nice weekend out (now that our city is no longer on fire #SonomaStrong), I'm not totally in love with the Borla exhaust on our 987.2 Boxster S. It sounds awesome in the upper half of the rev range, I mean seriously a beautiful automotive howl. The low end, however, is okay at best, and it drones at slow cruising speeds.

So if you're looking for a great light weight track exhaust and don't too much care about road trips with the wife, let me know. I'm still game for a trade (or maybe a sale) for something a little bit less aggressive.

Cheers,
Scott

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As I understand it, yes, the 987.1 and 987.2 will match up, but, and it's a big but (insert obvious joke here), the .2 exhaust systems do not have the second catalytic in the muffler anymore. Porsche moved the all the cats up into the headers. So while there are externally the same, the are different on the inside. For me, I'd prefer the .2 exhausts just because it feels quite silly to me to run a third set of cats (from both a restriction and weight viewpoint).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.