Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Does anyone know any of the roll bars made for the Cayman have some form of certificate / test results to show?

My local department of transport is a huge pain, and claims my car won't pass inspection with a roll bar unless I can prove that a roll bar has gone through some form of testing and has got results. I know this is quite rare, and makes no sense.

I've tried contacting Heigo / FVD, but they are extremely unhelpful and do not offer any information. Unfortunately their TUV certification is only for their full cage (which I do not want to have). Other certifications like TUV can be considered as well in replacement of test results.

So just wondering if anyone know whether there are other bars out there that can have some form of test results to show my DOT here. Frankly I understand the roll bars are not a fool proof thing by any means, but my local authorities really are just being a pain in that aspect. They were basically saying the roll bar could add risk to occupants in the case of a fire etc. Which really make not much sense. My car would be more dangerous if i carry a suitcase on top of the engine and it flies over to the passenger area during hard braking ...

Anyway, any help would be much appreciated. I'm basically shopping for whatever rollbar that they are willing to accept. Although my preference would be GMG or Heigo (more so as I would get to keep my BK truss) due to how they tend to sit further back and are impossible to hit even in an accident.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
what ! bribes don't work there?

i feel your pain.. but i don't think there is data or evidence on what your looking for..

lemon

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what ! bribes don't work there?
that's the first thing I asked. LOL

(Un)fortunately no. well, it makes no sense anyway. It's not like the OEM roll bar on the GT3 RSs have any test results -- yet those cars are running around everywhere here.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the car has gone through testing without the roll bar, why wouldn't that suffice?
Because the local DOT guys here are idiots really. Their logic makes no sense. Basically they argue anything that comes in through the border via the car dealer is legit. Then everything else is junk.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
why don't you do like what Californians car enthusiat do..

during smog time... the cats goes back on.. and on none smog times the cat goes back off...

lemon

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
why don't you do like what Californians car enthusiat do..

during smog time... the cats goes back on.. and on none smog times the cat goes back off...

lemon
Because the police could tow your car away if they feel that your car has illegal mods. And yes, people's cars get towed from time to time. Unless you have a letter from DOT saying your mods are "road worthy"

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If it's not road-legal locally, it may have to go on just for the track, and come back off immediately afterwards.
Ya ... that's what I would need to do. Which is really a pain as I do not have my own garage. I would need to drive to the mini-storage building, remove my seats and everything there. Then put the roll bar back up into the storage ... oh wells, I guess it is what it is.

Local law enforcements have been insanely strict on these things, even though historically I honestly haven't noticed accidents that were caused by failure of modifications etc. Accidents are often caused by non-sensible drivers following too closely to the car in front, running red lights, driving too fast when it's pouring, or abrupt lane changes. You can't stop a 23 year old driving at 170km/h in a 80km/h by cracking down on modifications anyway.

·
Vendor
292 Posts
Sorry to hear that we are unhelpful.

I answered every email you sent and mentioned that we don't have a FIA or TUV certificate for just the rear bars.

Sorry but that is the truth. Many guy's have purchased bars from us over the years and they can also tell you that Heigo does not send any paperwork with the rear roll bars.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Very surprised to hear this, as I have an email from Heigo which clearly comfirmed that they provide a strength certificate, which you need in Germany to convince the TÜV (our kind of DOT equivalent) of road legality.

My car is currently with the dealer to get the clubsport rollbar installed. Once I have the car back, I will also get the paperwork (they handle everything for me, not going to deal with those bureaucrats at TÜV myself) and can confirm what docx Heigo provided.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry to hear that we are unhelpful.

I answered every email you sent and mentioned that we don't have a FIA or TUV certificate for just the rear bars.

Sorry but that is the truth. Many guy's have purchased bars from us over the years and they can also tell you that Heigo does not send any paperwork with the rear roll bars.
Thanks for providing the information. Not something you could change anyway.

I would need either my local Porsche dealer's endorsement (which they declined) or Porsche AG's endorsement that Heigo bars are safe for the cars. It makes absolutely zero sense that the local authorities would judge the safety of an equipment purely based on a car dealer -- it's plain silly.

Anyway, unless Porsche AG says the Heigo is good to go, then I'm out of luck on this.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts