Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks. Mike here. I'm new to the forum and newly acquired a 2006 987 Cayman S. I am looking for a race shop in the San Francisco Bay Area that does 3.8 X51 swaps. I'm interested in some other modifications too so a dealership is not an option for me. I'm sorry if this topic has been discussed at length but I did a search and didn't see any recommendations. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I'd love to find someone a tad closer but will keep you in mind.

·
Registered
239 Posts
welcome Koozy! You should call Chris Murad at European Autotech in San Ramon. He has been active in the Porsche race scene for years and knows all the local shops. He takes care of my Cayman S (track-prepped 3.8L installed by Vision Motorsports in Socal). The number at European Autotech is 925-820-6460. I'm taking my car in there tomorrow for a new power steering cooling system so I'll stop boiling my fluid at the track! I'm in Danville if you ever want to compare notes on doing some of the work you're considering.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Ive seen

Whats the ballpark for Vision to do that swap? Im guessing a LOT
Well, I can’t speak for them at this point, they rebuilt my engine a couple years ago. There are a couple threads out here with more info on Vision, but ballpark costs for a complete upgrade and rebuild start at $15k and go toward $20k+ with clutch, flywheel, and all new engine internals. To be clear, mine wasn’t an engine swap to 3.8, it was a rebuild of the 3.4, bored out to 3.8.

·
Registered
357 Posts
When I did my 3.8L swap Vision quoted me about $4.5k for the R&R. I think that included the dyno time to do the custom tune for the Softronics flash.

There are several parts that need to be swapped or modified when you do this swap and most of these parts are included in that $4.5k number. I did need to buy new Cayman injectors for my 3.8 as the injectors from my 3.2 did not have the capacity to handle the extra fuel requirements to prevent a lean condition.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thats actually less than I thought. Sub $5k for the work, plus a motor to throw in haha

@Koozy Not sure why this slipped my mind, but have you looked at Sharkwerks yet? They are in Fremont

·
Registered
239 Posts
Thats actually less than I thought. Sub $5k for the work, plus a motor to throw in haha
My thoughts as well, labor isn't crazy bad, as it is an intricate job. Then you see the cost of the 3.8L engine itself:

Rebuilt 3.8L 997S version for $17,999: Porsche 997S 3.8 L Rebuilt Engine Years 05-08

For about $15K, you'll get a used 997 3.8L and spend maybe $7K having it rebuilt, so that price above isn't awful.

Basically, if you want a 3.8L engine in your Cayman, you should be thinking $20K - $25K, either rebuilding your 3.4 to 3.8 or swapping in a 3.8. In the case of the engine swap, you'd get to sell your 3.4L to defray some of that cost.

So you start with a $25K Cayman, sell the 3.4L for $6k- $8K, buy the 3.8L for $18K and install it for maybe $6K with all the extras. You're all-in for maybe $43K- $45K.

If you want to go to the track a lot, add in some good suspension (GT3 drop links, toe links, JRZ dual adjustable coilers, sway bars, etc) for about $10K and some Girodic rotors, Pagid pads and Motul fluid for about $2K. You've got a killer street machine and track toy for $55K. If you're really into the track, you might also do an under drive pulley and lightweight flywheel for nice blips and lower weight and a racing clutch to handle your track work. Maybe a few more grand there. Some extra coolers (power steering cooler, transmission, etc). Maybe a Tubi exhaust ($2k) to sound as good as you run, and now you're good to go for something like $62K-$67K.

Or you can just buy something like mine for $45K, it's got all that and more, with just a few hours on the newly rebuilt engine ;-)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just to be clear: it's not for sale right now. But if it WAS, that's the kind of price. My point being you are often better off buying someone else's completed project!
I agree, and theres a 3.6 swapped one locally that Ive strongly considered but theres a few things about it I dont like and I found one that checks more boxes and needs a motor, so its cheap... but still, add ~$25k for the 3.8 swap and the other car looks like a steal

·
Registered
239 Posts
I agree, and theres a 3.6 swapped one locally that Ive strongly considered but theres a few things about it I dont like and I found one that checks more boxes and needs a motor, so its cheap... but still, add ~$25k for the 3.8 swap and the other car looks like a steal
I just looked at that other thread of yours to see the 3.6. Seems like a good deal, as you say, once you consider all the costs of doing it yourself. Not sure what you didn't like about it, but any time you have a little bit of a concern, my experience suggests you should listen to that little voice... it's often spot on.

BTW, I am a Datsun Roadster guy, too. I've had three of 'em. Sold my last one (1968 2000) a year or so ago. I miss it, but I get my roadster kicks with one of my other cars, so I'll survive! As a fellow 311-er, you'd also be welcome to try out my Cayman S if you ever find yourself in Northern CA!

Vid of my car at Sonoma:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I can absolutely appreciate the savings and how prudent it would be to buy someone else's completed project. I would like to build my own. I know it costs more but there is something very satisfying for me to do this for myself, exactly how I want. Though I'd love to see some projects that are for sale that might change my mind. Post them here is you find something cool

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

@Koozy Not sure why this slipped my mind, but have you looked at Sharkwerks yet? They are in Fremont
I have not looked into them yet. Thanks for the tip. I'll call them and update the thread.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts